Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • The end of books?
  • miketually
    Free Member

I just rediscovered a blog post by Alistair Humphreys Why I Love the Kindle – by Someone Who Hates the Kindle.

One thing that was very interesting that he posts in the comments is that he gets 70% of the cover price of one of his Kindle books while he only gets 4% of the cover price of one of his books bought through a book shop.

If you love books, buy ebooks…

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Alistair Humphries new book is now on my kindle, all for £2.18. Looks like a good read from the first few pages which you can see on amazon

miketually
    Free Member

The paper version will be under my Christmas tree in a week and a bit. Loved his first two books.

molgrips
    Free Member

A comment from that chap’s blog is a good one:

Besides all the rest involving ease of use,weight and number of books you can have at once, if you travel, it’s incredible because if you find yourself somewhere and suddenly want to read something about the area you are in, then book exchange and buying is not an option. Eg. Im in Jordan now and just read a history ofthe Arabs…gives you the ability to learn continuously and enhances your discovery and experience of wherever you are.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’m a librarian. I don’t have any particular fondness for books, more interested in the content,transfer of ideas and that.

Our users want e-content, so we try and give it to them – if that’s ebooks then that’s cool, as long as people are using the service then great.

5lab

the 3g ones have unlimited access to wikipedia in every country as well. as a service goes, I think that’s excellent

molgrips
    Free Member

It is – it makes me want to get a cover with ‘Don’t Panic’ written in large friendly letters on the back cover. Cos that’s basically what we have 🙂

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Molly +1

mmannerr

I hear I’m getting the cheapest Kindle for Christmas. My Mrs. is trying to prevent a mountain of books, magazines and other paper things I’m going to buy for commuting entertainment after my office relocates next spring. No idea if this will mean not buying real books after that but for pocketbooks this seems like a good idea.

neilthewheel

There are many self published books that are well worth a look too, I have read Kok and Tvatt

Author takes a bow… 🙂

prettygreenparrot

I can see the attraction of a kindle. Books are somewhat easier to share though: no DRM. And books are more environmentally friendly: biodegradable, no heavy metals, renewable resource… Also without books I’d have to put pictures on the walls instead of covering them up with book cases.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Neil the wheel +1, I enjoyed his boook and Samuri’s… currently reading one by Steven Roach, pretty enjoyable for £1.71

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘The end of books?’ is closed to new replies.