Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • The Electric Van Thread
  • Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

Mercedes-Benz eSprinter vans. 80+ mile range

🤣🤣🤣
    That’s MB all round. Late and lame.

Folks have already identified a few van BEV problems: weight, shape, size. That vans are probably less popular than cars adds to the inertia for manufacturers. While it could be (££) painful legislation would be a great help. If that were accompanied by government support like tax relief or VAT relief on charging that might help.

Still, Ford seem to offer something good with the electric pickup in the USA. Let’s hope more options follow as the global markets get back up to speed.

Despite my MB skepticism, range may not be an issue for many van owners. Rather fast charging might be the thing. If you could top up fast at a stop or a job that’d make a more modest range workable.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Hell, I’d be happy with a quarter (or even an eighth) of that output in the next Transit Custom if it’s going to be electric.

yup! The performance of the current Custom PHEV is disappointing (to say the least!)

Surprised Guy Martin hasn’t cobbled together one of these already to be honest!!

Premier Icon colp

Despite my MB skepticism, range may not be an issue for many van owners. Rather fast charging might be the thing. If you could top up fast at a stop or a job that’d make a more modest range workable.

To be fair, the new eVito models have a real tested range of around 240 miles

Premier Icon thecaptain
    Free Member

I just test-drove an E-vivaro a couple of days ago. Drove very nicely but anyone reasonably tall would need to take out the bulkhead to fit in the driver’s seat. Why anyone would design a van so cramped…the mind boggles.

(I actually tested the 9-seater so plenty of room, but then sat in a panel van just to see if I could. I couldn’t.)

Premier Icon bigfoot
    Free Member

Ford have a transit eV on their website with roughly 190 mile range… Looks ok

and whats that range going to be with a heavy load in the back.
    admitidly my long journeys are done with not much weight but i would need at least double that range before even considering one.

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

I believe an electric F250 is imminent in the US and it will have a 300 mile range. That kind of format will be easily adapted for a van.
    Can’t wait until it gets to Australia as. Ranger as it would be great to replace my current Ute.

Premier Icon Trimix
    Free Member

So, which trail centres have a charging point then ?

Premier Icon pigyn
    Free Member

In Scotland, Laggan has a pair of 7kw chargers. Glentress can be ridden from the Peebles Hydro, that has four 7kw. Rapids in peebles town. Innerleithen has a rapid in the carpark next to No1. Rapids and fast in Aberfeldy town centre, great for the ‘Glassie Bike Park’, Pitlochry can be ridden from the dam carpark, free 7kw chargers (fed direct off the hydro I like to think), Dunkeld has a rapid in the town carpark with another two on the way. Aviemore has rapids in town and a fast charger right at the bottom of Burnside trails. Comrie Croft has four fast chargers, charged off their own solar array and battery storage. In the deep south I know Cwmcarn trail centre has a bank of fast chargers (that I think are free). Callander has rapid chargers in the carpark, great for riding Ben Ledi and the local tech. For the rapids we put it on when we get back from riding, then get changed and pack the bikes up. If it needs longer go grab a coffee, same as we usually would anyway. If anything it’s MORE of a faff having to go back to the van and move it before the 40mins is up. I prefer 7kw charger where we can leave it for the time we are riding, it’s less demand on the grid and leaves the rapids free.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Have you lot discussed the X-Bus?

https://www.crownxbus.co.uk/

Premier Icon pigyn
    Free Member

At first glance it looked good, then realised the quoted range was way off (you have to max it out with the optional battery packs and I think solar roof?) And it doesn’t have any form of rapid charging. So you end up with a 100 mile range max and 7kw charging only. Looks fun though.

I saw a VW T4 in Fife with a green plate flash, not sure if it was a conversion or a joker.

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

Mercedes E-truck, a bit to big for normal STW style usages but interesting nonetheless.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.