Viewing 40 posts - 3,361 through 3,400 (of 6,316 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • Kuco

Wipers and lights run off the standard car battery and won’t make any odds on range. Can’t say I’ve noticed much difference in range in the rain it’s the temp that affects it the most I find.

revs1972
    Free Member

Wipers and lights run off the standard car battery and won’t make any odds on range. Can’t say I’ve noticed much difference in range in the rain it’s the temp that affects it the most I find.

whilst that is entirely correct….

You do know where the power for the 12v system comes from don’t you ?

revs1972
    Free Member

I’m yet to try the battery pre-heat function ahead of DC charging to stop coldgating – has it worked for you?

I do 95% of charging at home and when I’ve charged away from home I haven’t given it much thought. I’ll have to look into it.

And yea HUD is a gamechanger . In fact I like it so much , I have specced it on next car . I think it is something that should be standard on all cars.
    The BMW HUD is far superior to any other car I have tested though.
    Lots of toys , have you run the relaxation program yet ? Got to make sure you have the Aircon in the correct setting though

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think wipers and lights make a lot of difference, it’s the water on the road. You can feel the deceleration when you hit a puddle; of course standing water on motorways isn’t usually that bad but it’s constant and adds up.

DrP

What tyres are you all running?
    I’ve michelin eco things on my Leaf – though they’re EV specced and LRR, they really do spin out quite often.. I’m not trying to accelerate like a nutter, but Brighton is hilly, and often when accelerating out of a junction UP a hill it’ll spin spin sugar…

I REALLY wanna stick michelin crossclimates on it, but reaf it’ll bugger the range…

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Are they they OEM tyres? OEM tyres are crap versions of after market tyres even though they bear the same names.

The current best energy saving premium tyres that I know of are Bridgestone Turanza T005.

FuzzyWuzzy

It looks to me from reviews they’ve messed up the cross climates a bit in their current version, they seem to have improved their very cold weather/snow performance at the expense of wet performance

Daffy

Water on the road is around a 10-15% loss.

Drac

The bugger have cancelled my Q4 order as they say it will be here before my current E-Tron is due to be returned. Just have to wait nearer the time now and reordered.

DrP

@molgrips
    I think they are OEM….

May look into the bridgestones

Ta

DrP

mert
    Free Member

Are they they OEM tyres? OEM tyres are crap versions of after market tyres even though they bear the same names.

May i just LOL at that massive and inaccurate generalisation.

Some manufacturers MAY, in SOME cases get a version that is optimised for fuel economy or durabilty.

The vast majority get bog stock production tyres same as everywhere else.

Another small number may get upgraded tyres with improved traction/grip or reduced NVH characteristics or other tweaks.

mert
    Free Member

though they’re EV specced and LRR, they really do spin out quite often.. I’m not trying to accelerate like a nutter, but Brighton is hilly, and often when accelerating out of a junction UP a hill it’ll spin spin sugar…

Do you not think these things are linked?
    Reducing RR is a trade off Vs traction (and tyres with a higher weight rating tend to stiffer carcasses as well, which doesn’t help) unweighting an inner wheel on a corner and applying torque in a heavy car while going up hill?

mert
    Free Member

You do know where the power for the 12v system comes from don’t you ?

Just to put it into perspective
    Just cruising along at 50mph driving the car is about 85% of the power demand on the battery, AC (at full chat) is about 14% all the rest of the 12V systems combined is the remaining 1%, give or take. (Lot of hybrids and EVs have 400v HVAC these days, so it needs to be separated out.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Some manufacturers MAY, in SOME cases get a version that is optimised for fuel economy

A lot of people have reported the same thing, particularly when Michelin Energy Savers came out. They were fitted to a lot of cars and everyone hated them, however I bought some after market ones and they were pretty decent. I had a car with Turanzas on it that were incredibly shite, but the aftermarket ones are good. It may not be all cars, but it seems very common.

whatgoesup

Re rain and range.
    I’ve noticed a pretty significant effect on the motorway – about 10-15% ish drop in predicted range on a 3 hr journey where the car predicted enough range to get to the destination before setting off, but dropped considerably after driving through fairly heavy rain for an hour. Once the rain cleared up the predicted range went back up. I didn’t track efficiency at the time but think this equates to about 10-15% “ish” based on the predicted range changes.

It makes sense – rolling resistance will increase due to displacing the surface water on the road. Moving dry air past the car at 70MPH is surely easier than rain plus raindrops which are more or less stationary compared to a cars speed.

I can’t see lights and wipers making any measurable effects – they’re pretty small power drains especially with modern LED lights – 15W or so each, so lets say 60W total for the whole car. I reckon my ETron uses about 26kW at 70MPH, so the lights account for 0.2% of the power consumption on the motorway.

epynt
    Free Member

What tyres are you all running?
    I’ve michelin eco things on my Leaf – though they’re EV specced and LRR, they really do spin out quite often.. I’m not trying to accelerate like a nutter, but Brighton is hilly, and often when accelerating out of a junction UP a hill it’ll spin spin sugar…

I REALLY wanna stick michelin crossclimates on it, but reaf it’ll bugger the range…

DrP

I’ve got crossclimates on my Leaf. Absolutely superb, and did not make a noticeable difference to the range.

DrP

Which did you go for?
    I just stuck xc2s on my Octavia…

Not sure if EV would warrant xc+, xc2 rei forced, or normal…

Probably reinforced….?

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

The required load rating for your car will be in the manual…

Flaperon

Another CrossClimate 2 user here. No noticeable impact on range on my Model 3, and if anything they’re quieter than the PS4 that came fitted to the car.

DrP

The load rating is 89 for 16s.. to 91 for 17s…
    I’m running on 16s..
    But the fuel efficiency for the reinforced (94!) XC2s is B rated… C for the 91 load.
    Will it mess up the ride having a firmer tyre sidewall? (Bearing in mind I’m fitting some coilovers when they arrive, to lower it and set the suspension!)

I think I’ve got a mix of the normal/reinforced on the octy..!

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re dicking about with the suspension, I wouldn’t worry about tyre load ratings…

towpathman

Coilovers on a Nissan leaf?

mert
    Free Member

Just…why?
    It’s a leaf.

The mind boggles.

Though, there is a Prius round near me with a massive spoiler on the back and a full body kit, lowered/massive wheels etc.

simon_g

Most mainstream / budget car suspension is as cheap as they can get away with to give an acceptable ride and not fall apart in the warranty period. Coilovers aren’t about slamming a car to the deck (the people that want that tend to go for air these days), but it lets you set heights exactly where you want them and adjust damping as you prefer.

You’d think a MTB forum would understand the value of higher quality adjustable suspension 🤷‍♂️

DrP

Just…why?
    It’s a leaf.

The mind boggles.

Same reason you replied here… just cos I guess!!

I like playing about with things TBH adn fancy fitting them myself.. I’ve always loved the JDM look ever since I saw a JDM Type R (see my photo above..)..red car, white rims… It could do with being about 30mm lower to look better, and the car feels a bit under damped/wallowy…plus a bit of a mid life crisis situation.. that’s why! 😉

Oh..lower = better economy too

You’re dicking about with the suspension, I wouldn’t worry about tyre load ratings…

Meh..still important! It won’t change the load situation!

DrP

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It’s a leaf.

The mind boggles.

It’s only a few bits of fibreglass away from:

mert
    Free Member

Yeah, i think a few of the stickers might be carry over…

DrP

It’s only a few bits of fibreglass away from

ooh.. that’s a target to aim for 😉

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Went to the National Botanical Gardens in bad weather the other day and got poor economy. I was pretty sure of making it home anyway but I found there’s a new charging station at Cross Hands on the A48 and since it’s next to a Starbucks I parked up whilst I was getting a coffee derived beverage. In the time it took me to walk over and get drinks it had gained nearly 8kWh at a max rate of 32kW. My car only does 50 max and it was half full anyway. The station offered a max of 50kW but there were 8 stations I think.

A pretty cool experience until I calculated I’d been charged 79p/kWh. There’s also an Ionity at McDonalds across the road but I doubt that would have been cheaper.

simonbea
    Free Member

Has anyone considered the e-Berlingo/ rifter size vehicles? We are a 1 car family, with couple of kids and ideally want something bigger than our current hatchback to cover the usual family stuff of camping, bikes etc, but also be the daily drive. We test drove the MG 5 while back which just didn’t really seem to live up to the estate label boot wise. e-Berlingo seems next size up. Avoiding SUVs, range not great but would cover most usage and assume efficiency would be naff due to size. Anyone got one or considered and gone against for any reasons? Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

We did. Seemed natural given we have had almost all over belingos over the years.

Range is pants. Quoted range is pants. The real world reviews are even worse. The shape is not conducive to good efficiency

We still have our diesel one.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t have to assume anything about efficiency, you can find out online. SUV shapes need not be bad in absolute terms, you can get 4 miles/kWh from an Ioniq 5 as far as I am aware, which is not half bad. More than an Berlingo I think? And overall range much better, don’t Berlingos have small batteries?

Of course non SUV shapes will be better still but choice is currently very limited.

iainc

Neighbour has this week taken delivery of a Peugeot 2008. Nice car, but she is finding real life range about 150 miles and with a 50 mile round trip daily commute is charging it every other day..

Don’t think she researched it much. And her PodPoint charger, that was fitted a few months back, doesn’t work. We have an Easee one (though no EV yet !) and she is using that, with a full charge of the 50 kWh battery costing £15 (yes, she is paying for the juice used). Despite is costing about half to run as her previous petrol Merc, she hates having to plug it in so often.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you can get 4 miles/kWh from an Ioniq 5 as far as I am aware, which is not half bad. More than an Berlingo I think? And overall range much better, don’t Berlingos have small batteries

I’d hope you would it’s about half the useful space of. A berlingo and therefor the shape is different.

Yes the Berlingo has a 50kw battery same as a Corsa – they focused on retaining the load space at the expense of range.

revs1972
    Free Member

she hates having to plug it in so often.

well , she wants to get over that issue as soon as she can 😂
    Sounds like an ideal candidate for an EV with that commute and the range. Tell her to get her kaput charger replaced with something that has a tethered cable. ( assuming hers isn’t already)
    It’s very little effort to plug it in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Daft reason. Get home, plug in. It’s that simple. Ours is plugged in nearly all the time.

Costing half as much as a diesel though, something wrong there. Ours is about a tenth the cost.

iainc

^^^ a 50kw battery costs about £15 to charge from close to flat at standard tariff of 30p. That goes about 150 miles. A tank of fuel is, say, £60 and gets maybe 300 miles plus in same stop start commuting use. Those are the person’s (not me) numbers, but they seem ok.

My diesel Audi does about 450 miles on a tank that costs about £90, so seems to equate. 30p is standard tariff with Scottish Power.

She’s not planning running her appliances at night to take advantage of off peak tariffs as had bad experience of such appliances going on fire while family asleep.

prettygreenparrot

🤷🏻‍♂️ if it’s just sat there anyway that doesn’t seem like a problem.

iainc

Yep, can’t disagree there. Conditioning and mindsets I guess. Probs not helped by her own house charger not working from the get go and needing to wait a few weeks till engineer will come and look at it – crappy service, all part of her lease deal through work I think.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Most generations and countries have had a “peoples Car”. What have we got in the EV world and how much?

Viewing 40 posts - 3,361 through 3,400 (of 6,316 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.