Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 6,330 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • dantsw13

I’ve had my Ioniq5 a few months now, and love it (aside from the rattly rear seatbelts 😡). It’s a big lump though , and boxy, so only gets 3.5mi/kWh. If eNiros had been available through Tusker when I ordered I would probably have gone there.

molgrips
    Free Member

only gets 3.5mi/kWh

What kind of driving?

Does it bing and bong at you all the time?

mert
    Free Member

dudeofdoom

TBH the driving experience is so smooth and chilled that alone adds real value to owning an EV

Yep, back in the ice days you’d be wanting a nice big s-class for the silky smooth delivery and lack of noise that comes with most evs.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Wow. Just seen that octopus go is now up to 12p/kWh off peak and 41p ish peak. 4 months ago I was laying not far off the off peak price in the day! Still cheaper than it could be but starting to chip away at the running cost differential.

dantsw13

Molgrips – 50% motorway, 50% local.

I drive at 65 with cruise control on the motorway, and fairly conservatively.

pedlad

Yep ioniq 5 10k miles mix of motorway, fast a roads and local bimbling. 3.5 miles per kWh

Greybeard
    Free Member

Local roads and a bit of motorway, in summer, our eUp! has managed 7 miles/kWh.  The worst was 3.5 miles/kWh, 70mph on a motorway with a sea kayak on the roof – I slowed to 50mph and improved that to 5 miles/kWh to avoid a charging stop.

northernremedy

Team. Bit of news I’ve just seen for anyone with an Andersen charger, they seem to have gone bust

Link

whatgoesup

My E-Tron has averaged about 2.5mi/kw.hr in the 2600 miles I’ve had it – a lot of 70mph driving to be fair but it doesn’t get much better than 2.7 even on slower journeys. It’s just a heavy, big car I guess. It is extremely refined though.

For all that it’s cost an average of 6p/mile to run – mostly thanks to the work chargers being cheap.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Really shitty news about Anderson ☹️ I’ve not even had my charger 12 months. The app was always awful, but now I know why recently, and no idea how I’ll program the thing now 🤷

Daffy

That’s disappointing efficiency from the Audi and the Ioniq. I was really considering the latter as our next car, but may have to reconsider. Our 6y old i3 gets around 4.5-5.

northernremedy

@mulv1976 the consensus seems to be remove any scheduling from it. When the cloud goes down, it’ll go offline for 15 then restart as a ‘dumb’ charger.

I’m gutted also. Highlights the very real problem of smart services being cloud based, whatever the product.

Plus we’ve just lost warranties and ongoing support. Really bad.

whatgoesup

The Audis efficiency isn’t too much of a surprise – it was Audis first EV and is a large, heavy car prioritising luxury, and a traditional car look and feel. I’ve mentioned earlier that I didn’t choose it, it’s a loan while my i4 is being built which will hopefully be massively better on efficiency.

I am surprised at an Ioniq not having good efficiency though as its tech is about as up to date as it gets. It was also on my short-list. It is, like a lot of modern EVs though a crossover style, so tall and upright rather than low and sleek so I guess high speed range would be conpromised.

Tesla Bjorn has tested all of these for range and it’s worth looking up his videos.

Turns out his results are all published on Google drive – hope the link below works

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HOwktdiZmm40atGPwymzrxErMi1ZrKPP

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HOwktdiZmm40atGPwymzrxErMi1ZrKPP

tenfoot

If it’s still on my company car list in a year, I was considering the Kia EV6. Although it’s the same car underneath, kind of hoping it will be more efficient than the ionic 5, as it’s not quite as tall.

I regularly see 3.8-4 mpKWH out of my A250e on my journey to and from work (60-65 mph motorway), so was hoping for similar, as the Mercedes is a compromised set up rather than ground up ev.

olddog

Interesting discussion on mpkWh – what driving mode are people using. Kia Soul 64Kw – using normal mode (out of sport, normal eco an eco+) and 2 on a scale of 0 to 3 for regenerative braking. As above getting just shy of 5 miles per kWh with no motorway driving, and little NSL A road

molgrips
    Free Member

For me, eco Vs normal makes no difference to the economy. But it does make it harder to nip out of a junction. In eco it reduces throttle response right across the range until the very end of the pedal travel. So you can get between 0 and maybe 60% or 100%. But in a powerful car 60% might be plenty

Edukator
    Free Member

Eco mode, not so much because of performance because flooring it overides anyhow. It limits the heater and A/C so it does improve range and is smoother to drive.

revs1972
    Free Member

mulv1976
    Free Member
    Really shitty news about Anderson ☹️ I’ve not even had my charger 12 months. The app was always awful, but now I know why recently, and no idea how I’ll program the thing now 🤷

Same. Had mine installed in Dec last year .
    Never used the app side of things really, other than to lock it when we were away. I’ll have to just switch it off at the consumer unit.

I wondered why the app had stopped working.
    Fortunately, I have a spare box in case this one goes down. They sent the wrong length cable originally and when I wanted it replacing they sent a whole unit ( minus front cover).
    Tried numerous times to get them to pick it up .

Guess I’m keeping that as compensation now !!

Daffy

I’m really edging toward an i4. It seems to have the best features of a Tesla without actually being a Tesla M3 – by that I mean drivetrain efficiency vs cabin.

I never thought I’d say this, but I like the iX. In person it certainly has presence and the cabin is bloody lovely, but 116kWh battery to get 340miles of range…!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m really edging toward an i4

It’d be my choice if I could afford it. Aren’t they £70k?

An Ioniq 6 is perfect on paper, but no-one in the motoring press seems bothered by binging, or over-aggressive climate control, and these things really bother my wife.

Mercedes seem more aligned with my wife’s sensibilities – no bongs, smooth climate control etc – and there was an electric B class that might suit our requirements.

whatgoesup

i4s are around £52k for the base model, a few k more for the m sport and £65k for the M50. That’s before you start adding options of course and being BMW there are plenty of options.

iainc

I have a Q4 Etron Quattro on order, since august, and it’s due next June. I did look at the i4, but by the time I specced it up to similar to the Audi, it was an extra £200 a month to lease on Tusker…

Pity as looks really good, but awfy pricey..

revs1972
    Free Member

i4s are around £52k for the base model, a few k more for the m sport and £65k for the M50. That’s before you start adding options of course and being BMW there are plenty of options.

Friend of mine pretty much ticked all the boxes and came up around £72k for his.
    That’s if he ever gets it. Several dates have come and gone , and now they can’t even give him a date for one.
    I have a car on order at the moment that is at least 12 months ( according to dealer – website says 6 to 9 months).
    At least with the crazy wait times, current car is pretty much valued at the same cost as when I got it nearly 12 months ago.

robingrant

@dantsw13 How big is the boot on your Ioniq5? With the rear seats down, can you easily fit an MTB intside with the wheels on?

prettygreenparrot

electric B class

is this some new B-class? Or the old one?

When we saw one of those a few years ago we asked our MB dealer if they had one for us. ‘No. Don’t buy one. It’s a compliance vehicle. How about trading in you current diesel B-class for one of these super-efficient petrol ones?’. I paraphrase, but it was along those lines. Shame, as the ~100 mile range would have been fine for most days.

NP, we hung on to it until the term ended and my SO got a Tesla Model 3. Different. And better.

phiiiiil

We came across one of the old electric B classes charging at a motorway services once. They charge at 11kw max; peeking through the window suggested it was on 10% or something like that. I hope they didn’t have far to go, because it could have taken hours. We didn’t wait, and went to the next charger along instead…

molgrips
    Free Member

is this some new B-class? Or the old one?

When we saw one of those a few years ago we asked our MB dealer if they had one for us. ‘No. Don’t buy one. It’s a compliance vehicle.

Depends what you want it for. They are apparently nice cars, just a small 90 mile range. But that’s fine for a commuter car. It’d never charge away from home.

5lab

if you’re happy with a lowish range, what about the honda e? Seems to be well made and get good reviews, but most discount it on the available range.

mrchrispy

would love a honda e, very cool but expensive and range is not great (but fine for urban driving)

molgrips
    Free Member

if you’re happy with a lowish range, what about the honda e?

If that’s for me then yes that’s a fair point. The thing is – more range is better, because then I’d use it more and ‘save’ more money on petrol. But I’d accept lower range for a lower purchase price. Honda es start from £28k which isn’t bad for an EV but it’s still a lot of money. I’d be looking at used cars for under £20k and preferably under £15k. The only cars under £15k are old Leaves and older Zoes with batter lease. There’s a B class on Autotrader now for £16,500 which is, in EV terms, pretty cheap. And probably a nicer car than the other options.

I don’t want another lease with the possibility of job insecurity and uncertainty in our future.

5lab

broadspeed have some very lightly used mazda electric suv things for <£20k. Again, low ish range but might suit your needs

edit : £21k. Still, seems like a great buy compared to an old zoe or similar..

https://twitter.com/broadspeed/status/1581933399614160896/photo/1

molgrips
    Free Member

I hadn’t heard of Broadspeed, but you cannot search by fuel type it seems 🙁

5lab

they’re a broker rather than directly a sales team. when you buy new they just hook you up with a local dealer. Might be the same for used, I’ve no idea. Link up there ^^

wingnuts

robingrant – just got an Ionic 5 and I think you’ll need to drop the front wheel out but theres plenty of width. Had ours about two weeks now and its bloody great on all fronts. I post more experiences after next week when we will have done couple of longer trips.

oldtennisshoes

Walking through that London this morning and saw this.
    Looks like a nifty alternative to dedicated charging units everywhere.

revs1972
    Free Member

You could see some idiot purposely tripping over that cable.

molgrips
    Free Member

These have been talked about for a long time, glad they are actually appearing.

There’s been some legal discussion on cables; apparently it’s ok to trail cables across a pavement if you follow the same rules as contractors i.e. use a cable strip. However I can see that’s not likely to apply to the lamppost charger since it’s not actually across the pavement in that photo.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You could see some idiot purposely tripping over that cable.

You could equally see some idiot purposefully stretching the cable across the gap between cars.

Odds on “pavement vigilantes” cutting “dangerous” cables anyone?

The company I do most of my work for installs them on lighting columns in various areas of London

Anyone drive a Cupra Born? Considering one if I can’t stretch to the EV6 GT

Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 6,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.