• This topic has 2,653 replies, 173 voices, and was last updated 23 hours ago by mert.
Viewing 14 posts - 2,641 through 2,654 (of 2,654 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • Premier Icon dudeofdoom

I wouldn’t hesitate to do a journey like that again in an EV but it would absolutely have to be a Tesla. Once you’re off their infrastructure it’s a shit show

Yep was off piste last weekend and used a none Tesla charger,
    lots of hassle and I wouldn’t like to have to rely on them on a trip.

Premier Icon freeagent
    Free Member

Q4 Quattro Etron ordered through Tusker today, delivery date June..23 ..

I ordered a Volvo XC40 Recharge as a replacement company car at the start of April. Delivery date stated as 12-Jan-23, but i’ll be amazed if it turns up on time.
    Can’t come soon enough considering the current diesel prices!

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

From June 30th all home chargers are required to be “smart” chargers and have a data connection.
    On the face of it, provides good benefits especially on cars that dont have on board charge timers to allow you to take advantage of cheaper off peak power.

But a tin foil hatted part of me wonders if this is just paving the way for taxing EV charging – as a way to recoup fuel duty in the future.

Are all cars capable of “granny charging” off a standard wall plug? Will this get around the issue? Most cars will do 7-9 mph charge speed like this, so you could get 60-80 miles of range added overnight which will do for most people, most of the time.

Premier Icon simon_g

Yes, they’ll all granny charge off a regular socket – plus there were thousands of non-smart domestic charge points installed even before smart ones were required for the grant.

The “smart” stuff mandated now is around defaulting to off-peak charging, adding a random delay to the start of a charge (both overrideable if you want), and supporting some new demand regulation standards (which you can choose to sign up to).

As homes get more electrified (car charging, heat pumps, induction hobs, etc) there’s a need for more smartness to manage demand – both within your house, and on the wider grid.

The future will be road pricing, not trying to tax EV “fuel” separately to domestic energy.

Premier Icon molgrips

But a tin foil hatted part of me wonders if this is just paving the way for taxing EV charging – as a way to recoup fuel duty in the future.

Well something’s got to replace lost fuel duty hasn’t it?

Premier Icon mrchrispy

it’ll be road charging, way too easy to bypass the smart charger is you wanted to

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

I used the Belford (Northumberland) Tesla supercharger for my eTron a couple of weeks ago. Was simpler to use even than the Ionity ones, but it has hi-lighted the stupid position of the charging sockets on the car. I had to get the bumper almost touching the charger to get the plug to reach. On the return at 2 am I just drove along side blocking another bay in the hope that there wouldn’t be much business at that time of the morning.

In recent trips down south I’ve been impressed with the aptly titled Fastned facility at Hamilton, the new Grid Serve chargers at Burton-in-Kendal and MFG Chargers at Crow Orchard (J27 of the M6).

Length DOES matter!

Fast Neds just outside Glasgow

Premier Icon whatgoesup
    Free Member

I’ve got a question. For RWD EVs… how does regenerative braking work when driving “enthusiastically”? For example, a BMW i4 40. It could be a bit like pulling on the handbrake mid corner if done wrong which would end badly so I’m sure the on board computer wouldn’t allow. So what happens? No regen while cornering? Front brakes are employed to balance things out?

Premier Icon peteimpreza

My employer is about to offer a salary sacrifice scheme for EVs with a company called LeasePlan.

Have they made a good choice or should we avoid at all costs?

Premier Icon v8ninety

I’ve got a question. For RWD EVs… how does regenerative braking work when driving “enthusiastically”? For example, a BMW i4 40. It could be a bit like pulling on the handbrake mid corner if done wrong which would end badly so I’m sure the on board computer wouldn’t allow. So what happens? No regen while cornering? Front brakes are employed to balance things out?

Skoda Enyaq; Can’t notice anything odd; you’d not know it was just the rear wheels applying braking force (in fact I’m I too you mentioned it, it hadn’t even occurred to me). I don’t think even full regen is actually very much braking at all in the grand scheme of things, and you’d really need to be driving ‘full twunt’ and be extremely close to the limits of adhesion for it to make any difference. You certainly don’t get that weird arse end settling feeling that you get when you use the handbrake to slow down instead of the footbrake (to see if you can put the right number of clicks on to gently stop at the line, obviously, I can’t be the only one who doe this on quiet roads every now and again?).

Premier Icon molgrips

I’d expect the ESP to know exactly what’s going on with all the wheels, so yeah if there were a hint of slippage it’d reduce regen, which it can do instantly. But as above, regen isn’t that much so you’d have to be right on the edge and remember these cars aren’t sports cars, if you get that close to the limit don’t expect them to behave like one.

My employer is about to offer a salary sacrifice scheme for EVs with a company called LeasePlan.

Aren’t they the ones who take advantage of the fact your payment is pre-tax and simply stick 40% on top of the normal prices?

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

If anything like Teslas then the moment wheel lock-up is detected, regen is rapidly reduced until the wheel rotates again and then subsequently much less than usual.

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

<blockquoteAren’t they the ones who take advantage of the fact your payment is pre-tax and simply stick 40% on top of the normal prices?

That seems to be standard practice for Sal Sac providers. Certainly at least half the tax saving goes to them.

Premier Icon mert
    Free Member

In most modern systems all regen requests are processed in the same way as a brake request, i.e. negative torque, the motors just act as extra actuators.
    And traction/stability/steering controls are a factor in how that torque request is handled. So you’ll have a request for xNm braking sent to the rear motor and it’ll do just that, when x gets too large it’ll be split between front and rear axles (so you’ll activate front friction brakes) when it gets larger again (and hits the threshold for the motor) you’ll have motor and friction braking the rear axle, and just friction on the front.
    Steering works the same way, as you increase yaw rate the clever bits will add braking to the correct front wheel to ensure that the car stays level and doesn’t start sliding all over the place.
    The original i3 got this hugely wrong and had a large number of complaints and a rushed fix, which wasn’t very good either.

I don’t think even full regen is actually very much braking at all in the grand scheme of things

Most of the current and maybe ~50% of the previous gen can hit ~2.5 m/s2 deceleration just with one pedal drive. Even the i3, which is effectively two generations old, can do that.
    In a straight line the limitation is the energy going back into the battery, but it’s still possible to hit over 5m/s2 momentarily, completely on the electric motors (in AWD). A full on emergency stop will be around 8m/s2. And use friction brakes.

Viewing 14 posts - 2,641 through 2,654 (of 2,654 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.