Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 6,330 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry another question. The last time I got a walk charger installed it cost me £100 (6 yrs ago with gov grant)

How much do they cost now and are grants available?

Flaperon

About five hundred pounds with the grant. Bit less if you’re with Octopus Energy, and for two hundred pounds they’ll sell you an Ohme Smart Cable which can connect to a 32A commando socket.

Depending on the car you might be able to charge it directly off a 32A commando socket with a cheap adapter, but you’re going down an 18th amendment rabbit hole with regard to PEN fault detection and earthing.

sam_underhill

How much do they cost now and are grants available?

Just paid £800 including grant for a zappi + hub with armoured cable in the SE.
    I think there’s bigger grants available in Scotland?

LAT

thanks for the answer @daffy. seems the easiest option.

the notion of the revenue shortfall hit me while in the car at the weekend watching all the teslas zooming past me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Revenue shortfall – assuming you’re talking about the Exchequer – the smart thing to do would have been to give tax breaks to promote EVs but at the same time ensure they were being developed and built in the UK along with their batteries, so they could get their money back from corporation tax and higher employee wages.

finephilly
    Free Member

@twrch The turbines are protected against s[pinning too quickly – connecting it to the grid won’t add any resistance! There are motors in them, gearboxes, even transformers at the base, just no power lines to the grid.

The CA sabotaging the planning process was not a ‘story’. It happened, I know ‘cos I was in the planning meeting and watched it happen!
    Planning for Bryn Blaen (submitted in 2014) has been consented:
    http://pa.powys.gov.uk/online-applications/advancedSearchResults.do?action=firstPage
    in 2016, pretty sure it was built after that.

Flaperon

You can’t spin a wind turbine too quickly, the blades stall once they reach a critical speed.

finephilly
    Free Member

Yep. I am out of date though. It didn’t have a connection for a few years, but seems as though it is now fixed up:
    https://www.powersystemsuk.co.uk/project/15252-bryn-blaen-wind-farm/

I think the original plan was for it to go into the new HV power line plan that never happened.

dyna-ti

But are they putting the same driving effort in ?, no gear changes so pretty much just coasting along 😉

twrch
    Free Member

connecting it to the grid won’t add any resistance!

Of course it does. It provides the electrical load, without which the turbine would spin relatively freely (like running a Kickr turbo trainer without plugging it in). Wind turbines not in use get the brakes applied and are stationary.

The CA sabotaging the planning process was not a ‘story’. It happened, I know ‘cos I was in the planning meeting and watched it happen!

You initially said the CA sabotaged the HV line (and which was the basis for my whole interest, because you claimed that turbines were built but are spinning uselessly because the Conservatives blocked the necessary power lines). I suppose they sabotage everything related to renewable power.

molgrips
    Free Member
    finephilly
    Free Member

It will provide electrical resistance, not the mechanical resistance to stop the blades spinning. That would be done by a brake/gearbox or locking the motor somehow.

Anyway, they’ve been connected now. The HV line was intended for several windfarms to connect into at once. It probably wouldn’t have been built in time to connect Bryn Blaen in 2016/17 but presumably that farm would’ve connected to it, had it been built. I’m not accusing the local conservative assoc of sabotaging anything other than that project but it certainly happened as I watched several individuals raise objection after objection to it and I know for a fact it was the CA as one of it’s members told me so!

Edukator
    Free Member

Tesla Model 3 the best selling car in Europe in September. 🙂 I hope that sends a message to Europena manufacturers, it’s the first time a best seller is non European built.

twrch
    Free Member

t will provide electrical resistance, not the mechanical resistance to stop the blades spinning.

Electrical resistance will slow the blades, too 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Tesla Model 3 the best selling car in Europe in September. 🙂 I hope that sends a message to Europena manufacturers, it’s the first time a best seller is non European built.

I honestly think they’re either, too arrogant, too incompetent or too in denial to realise that Tesla and the Chinese are coming to eat their lunch. Only Herbert Diess at VW has any idea what’s coming. He recently called a crisis management conference at VW and stated that it takes VW three times longer to make an ID3 than it takes Tesla to make a Model Y- and that’s a Model Y made in China but Tesla’s Model Y production at Giga Berlin will be even faster than China. Next year Tesla will be bigger than Renault, Kia and Hyundai. Hertz just signed a contract for 100,000 EVs from Tesla and according to Elon Musk they didn’t get any discount.

molgrips
    Free Member

I honestly think they’re either, too arrogant, too incompetent or too in denial to realise that Tesla and the Chinese are coming to eat their lunch.

I don’t think they are arrogant or incompetent, they are clearly working hard on it. They are working slower because they have a more traditional approach. Tesla have some good range but I’m not sure what else they have. And I suspect the extra range comes from pushing the batteries harder. But I’m absolutely sure they know Tesla are worth worrying about.

Flaperon

And I suspect the extra range comes from pushing the batteries harder

How do you push a battery harder? 🤔

8 year / unlimited mileage warranty on Tesla batteries anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you push a battery harder?

Allowing users to charge to 100% so that you can claim it’s got more range, but then telling them not to do it to prolong the life. Other manufacturers don’t let you charge up all the way. They don’t really need to do this as they do actually have more range anyway, so I take that back about it being the only reason.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Tesla have some good range but I’m not sure what else they have

1. Speed
    2. Acceleration
    3. Supercharger network
    4. Best infotainment
    5. Nav system that integrates battery charge status, driver efficiency and the supercharger network (very important for EV noobs and fleet customers like Hertz)
    6. Different design language (you may not like it but plenty do)
    7. Efficient use of space. Just look at the boot (and froot) capacity of the Model Y vs its SUV competition.
    8. Over the air updates (I think only Polestar and maybe VW have this now also)
    9. Excellent efficiency
    10. “Dog” and “camp” modes
    11. Not forming anti-competitive cartel for the purchase of steel like VW, Daimler and BMW
    12. Not forming a cartel, unlike Daimler, BMW, Porsche and Audi, to avoid deploying environmental improvement tech to its full extent as demanded by EU law

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Tesla have some good range but I’m not sure what else they have.

as above, 2 year + driver – full screen Netflix, lots of games, BBC TV live and BBC iplayer full screen, full screen web browser etc. nationwide Super charger network, lots of car menu stuff that isn’t available from the OEMs yet or still fragmented. Most Tesla UI stuff is still a few years ahead of the pack, but the old car manufacturers will (have to) catch up I presume.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A lot of car companies have played it safe with EVs derived from fossil fuelled cars in their existing range. Packaging issues can only be overcome with a ground-up approach.

dantsw13

I think I’m about to order an Ioniq5 through my work scheme! Top spec car is cheaper than an Enyaq once you add all the packs i want.

willard

A lot of car companies have played it safe with EVs derived from fossil fuelled cars in their existing range. Packaging issues can only be overcome with a ground-up approach.

Which is what Kia have done with the Niro and what people are starting to do with the other cars. Tesla had no history when they started, they had a market to take, not one to keep, so they could afford to take risks with the design.

Also, their QC is poor. Panel gaps are really bad on all the cars I have seen.

dafoxster
    Free Member

My local Kia dealer(Villach, AT) now has the EV6 available to test. I didn’t get to drive it yet but I did get to have a good nose around on Monday.

For me it looks a lot better in the flesh. From the picture I always preferred the Ioniq 5 but now I have seen them both my opinion has changed. The cockpit feels premium and is very nice. The back seats were less comfortable than I expected, mainly due to height between floor and seats. There was plenty of leg space. My major disappointment is with the boot space. I have an E Niro which I have to give back in August and the boot space seemed less usable in the EV6. It is certainly deeper but the sloping roof cuts down on usable space. This was the 2WD version and the front space was just enough for some charging cables, which is fine, but I guess the AWD version is almost pointless.

Considering the E-Niro has been a little too small for our family uses I think we won’t now consider the EV6. We don’t need the performance and premium feel. The new EU MG5 comes out here in Q1 so I hope that suits our needs and can be delivered on time. Only thing it misses is AWD will would be preferred considering out local roads in winter.

FuzzyWuzzy

Also, their QC is poor. Panel gaps are really bad on all the cars I have seen

Apparently the Chinese built ones (now shipping to Europe due to the delays with the Berlin plant) are better build quality. No clue if they come with Communist Party embedded malware though…

I think Tesla will still be riding high for 3-4 years but then it’s customer service/after care issues will start to bite once other manufacturers offer a decent range of alternatives. They’re currently 99.999% about shifting cars, which is great until something does go wrong with your car and you need them to care about sorting it out

dudeofdoom

but the old car manufacturers will (have to) catch up I presume.

I don’t think they can get their heads around the software tbh..

I got an immersive sound feature added a few weeks ago, just appeared overnight.

How many times is everything an option that can’t be retrofitted when you buy a car.

When Im more flush I’ll probably spend a few quid on upgrading the software for the enhanced autopilot or wait for the sub service for the month I actually drive long distance.

The Tesla software is also very good, can’t see the others keeping up with releases when they will be wanting to shift you into another car if you wanted that new software feature released in the newest car.

The other brands are happy to rinse you with every option ticked.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve just emailed MG asking for my order to be rolled over onto the new version.

Realistically it probably won’t make that much difference but given my ordered car is due late December and the new versions are Q1 2022 then I might as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think they can get their heads around the software tbh..

I got an immersive sound feature added a few weeks ago, just appeared overnight.

How many times is everything an option that can’t be retrofitted when you buy a car.

That’ll come, because Tesla have started doing it. They aren’t stupid, but they kept their existing business model because it suited them. Why give customers new stuff on their existing cars, when you can persuade them to upgrade their car to get the new stuff?

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait, Teslas let you watch Netflix whilst driving? You know, I’m pretty sure that this tech has been around for a while but fairly sure it’s a bad idea for a few reasons…

That’s happening now – Hyundai/Kia, VW etc. Remember that the traditional manufacturers still have to fund their move to EV by continuing to make the ICE cars that they invested millions in, so they still needed to use their existing plant. Tesla got their money from investors (I assume) so were able to start fresh with new factories and new platforms from the beginning.

molgrips
    Free Member

Excellent efficiency

Really though? They claim 310 miles from the Model 3 Performance, What Car got 239 miles, and they got 2.8 miles per kWh. That’s not really very efficient at all. I get 4.5-4.8 from my car, on open roads and motorways. And given we usually do town driving we actually get more than the quoted WTLP range.

Another listicle puts the Model 3 about the same as my car tested at 4.5m/kWh.

Flaperon

Allowing users to charge to 100% so that you can claim it’s got more range, but then telling them not to do it to prolong the life.

I mean, you could do this every day but you’d need to have a really specific set of circumstances for it to work (ie, a trip that’s exactly at the limit of the car’s range most of the time). Tesla would still warranty the battery if you did.

In reality if you think you’re going to need to fast charge en-route it’s quicker to surf in the lower percentages of the battery because that’s when it charges fastest – it’s something like 250kW from 0-25%, then it tapers off.

With their LFP batteries Tesla say that you can and should charge them to 100% when at home.

At 74 mph my Model 3 LR averages 232 Wh/mile. So charging to 90% and not letting it fall below 10% still gives a usable range of nearly 300 miles, and a supercharger will add electricity at ~900 miles/hour. My made-in-China Model 3 has no panel gap or paint issues.

molgrips
    Free Member

At 74 mph my Model 3 LR averages 232 Wh/mile

That’s 4.3 miles/kWh. That’s decent, probably largely due to it being an aerodynamic car shaped vechicle rather than an SUV I would guess.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Over the air updates

I read that as ‘built-in hacking opportunity’ – not something I would want on a very desirable theft target or something with life-threatening failure consequences.

Flaperon

EV Bingo

I made a useful bingo card for contributors to this thread.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Nice one Flaperon. You could also add “I don’t like Elon Musk”

willard

That’s just a reason not to buy a Tesla, not EVs more generally.

pictonroad

I read that as ‘built-in hacking opportunity’ – not something I would want on a very desirable theft target or something with life-threatening failure consequences.

To my knowledge nobody has pinched a model 3 in the Uk to date. It’s one of the bestselling cars out there.

I don’t think anyone has hacked one either.

Why do people keep making up reasons for Tesla’s being shit? 🤷‍♂️

Murray

‘built-in hacking opportunity’

Absolutely, Tesla will even pay you if you succeed – Pwn2Own link

davros

You missed ‘I haven’t got a drive’.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Or
    “I frequently need to jump in my car and drive 500 miles without a toilet break/peeing in a boittle, stop for 5 minutes to refuel and drive another 500 miles.”

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 6,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.