Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 6,330 total)
  • The Electric Car Thread
  • Drac

Work should be fitting chargers soon so in the meantime I’ll be using the tesco and council chargers locally to me.

Tesco chargers tend to be 7Kw and run a fair usage policy. They’re not a great choice to use for a modern EV as they’re too slow.

richardkennerley

Just ordered an Octavia SE L iV to replace our current Octavia lease which runs out in December. Went and checked it out at the dealer this week, the new Octavia is a definite step up in quality over the old one. Looking forward to getting it.

The salesman reckoned a realistic electric only range was 25-30 miles.

This should be good for us to do a few school runs, then run it in hybrid mode for days out. Even with the short range we could probably get away with using no petrol for a few weeks at a time.

First electric car so will invest in a charge point.

airvent
    Free Member

I’m just curious but how long does a car with a 30 mile range take to charge on a regular 3 pin plug? Surely a lot less time that a full bev?

wbo
    Free Member

Depends on the capability of the charger on the car but I’d assume a few hours. I’ve a got a 24 kWh leaf and that’s only failed to completely recharge overnight once or twice in a few years, and only when I’ve got home late (11 or later), very low battery and cold weather. I recharge on a regular 3 pin

richardkennerley

The Octavia comes with the three pin cable, but I feel I might as well invest in a proper charger point now. The grant is still available for a start but might not be in three years time when this lease runs out, but having the charge point on the drive will be way more convenient than plugging in to the garage. Plus this won’t be our last EV.

Drac

I’m just curious but how long does a car with a 30 mile range take to charge on a regular 3 pin plug?

It’s around 2.5Kwh my golf gte took about 7 hours on the 3 pin.

maxtorque

Plug in hybrids have pretty poor consumption compared to pure BEVs because of the extra complexities of having both an ICE and an EV powertrain. A BEV manges between 3 and 4 miles per kWh, but a large PHEV migh only get 2 ml/kWh.

So, 30 miles is say a maximum of about 15 kWh, a 13A plug can deliver about 2.5 kW to the battery, so that’s 6 hours worst case.

In reality, it would probably be a bit less charging time, because you ought to manage more than 2ml/kWh in most cases

jp-t853

Premier Icon
    b230ftw

I think the Octavia estate falls under the 40m official range hence it is £160 per month.

It’s 43 miles on electric.

What do you mean £160 a month?

Crossed wires so ignore my comment. When the estate was first announced it had a 37 mile range but the VW wizards have obviously got it up to 40+ and hence a lower tax bracket. I don’t pay capital contributions so higher rate tax on the hatchback is about £70 per month.

simon_g

Shopping around for an electric hatchback and lack of roof load rating (even on cars that have ICE versions that do) is maddening.

Zoe – nope
    e208 – nope
    Corsa – nope
    Ioniq – nope
    ID.3 – nope, although at least you can option a “transport hitch” (which only takes 2 bikes or 50kg)
    Honda e – nope, but has massively expensive bike-only towbar option.
    BMW i3 – lol, nope

Pathetically low 35kg limit on Leaf and MG5.

Anything I’m missing? I don’t want a SUV (or a stupidly styled crossover thing) although I’m considering making an exception for the Soul that can do 100kg.

5lab

Anything I’m missing?

buying one that you like and sticking the bikes on anyway? I very much doubt the roof will collapse.

lister

Just put the bikes inside and enjoy the unaffected aerodynamics? It’s what I’m planning to do with my ID3 when I get it. Might even splash out on a new jewsons tonne bag…

simon_g

Bikes yes, but it’s also really handy to
    stick a roofbox on (taking the range hit) for holidays.

swanny853

Are you counting the Niro and the kona under ‘stupidly styled crossover’? Because I’d say you’re missing a good couple of options if you are, IIRC they’re both happy with roof bars.. The kona is basically a fiesta but a bit taller, the Niro probably more like a focus. Not a fan of crossovers either but I’d say both look pretty inoffensive in the flesh.

molgrips
    Free Member

The crossover and SUV style is to allow batteries to be fit in. My Ioniq is car shaped but only available in 38kWh. The Kona also comes in a 72kWh version because of the battery space.

I test drove one, it was great. Nearly got one.

simon_g

Yes I am including them in that. I know it’s irrational as they probably fit my needs nicely (and the eniro actually isn’t that tall) but I just don’t like them, and it’s a lot of money to spend on something you don’t like.

Soul just about gets a pass as I quite like it’s weird boxy looks. Shame it only comes with the SUV styling pack (fussy bumpers, side mouldings, arches) here, it looks much better without it.

Our egolf takes 75kg on the roof just like any other Golf. Why on earth can’t a 208 or Corsa do the same?

TiRed

Went looking at the weekend. My usual criteria is room in the back seat and size of boot. New Leaf was great except the lip on the boot (dog cage won’t open). Niro boot is too shallow. Struggling at the moment. Next door has the ID3 and I’m not taken by the look. Would welcome suggestions. I’ve hired petrol Konas and though them OK.

I’m not overly worried about the drive (I barely drive anywhere), but do have two adult sons who are “units” plus a medium dog cage.

davosaurusrex

Skoda Enyaq? Loads of room in the back and big boot too. Base ones about 32k with grant. Not cheap but what is these days?

richardkennerley

@tired you need it to be full EV? Check out the new Octavia iV plug in hybrid.

slackboy

The new ioniq 5 and Kia gt6 look really interesting..

molgrips
    Free Member

Got free leccy at Tesco the other day. Went to the in store decathlon and picked up some food and got about 20p worth of power 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

We had a BMW i3 to try for the day, very impressed with it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Simon_g I might well be talking out of my behind here (or not using the correct terminology), but after closely following the EV thing since 2018 I’m fairly sure I’ve heard some EV podcast stuff about a vehicles overall official EU WLTP score being adversely affected by stuff like including approval for roof bars, roof boxes, bike racks etc in an EU vehicle type approval. So, many manufacturers just don’t include that stuff in order to improve their official WLTP figure for their EV vehicles. So in many cases it might be perfectly fine structurally (not sure how it would affect insurance tho) if it hasn’t been officially type approved for roof bars etc.

EDIT: (I think it might have been in a podcast discussion centred around the MG roof rails that aren’t approved for carrying anything and whether it was deliberate or a mistake when getting EU type approval)

b230ftw
    Free Member

Just ordered an Octavia SE L iV to replace our current Octavia lease which runs out in December. Went and checked it out at the dealer this week, the new Octavia is a definite step up in quality over the old one. Looking forward to getting it.

Just ordered the same car, I was the same, really impressed with the quality of it. I went for an SEL too but with the LED interior pack and some nicer wheels but I’m a tart and I like pretty colours. 😂

TiRed

@tired you need it to be full EV?

Yes I want full EV for the next vehicle. I’m not a serial car swapper. The current Diesel CRV is 12 years old. I want something next size down that will take the dog cage. The Leaf felt huge inside but the boot lip is also huge so would need side cage access and hence have to empty half the boot each time.

I am probably about two years out from mature technology/format but EV is getting there, so worth looking. Also I live on outskirts of London so just a matter of ULEZ and I won’t have a vehicle I can drive inside the zone. The alternative is keep the CRV and go Zoe instead. But as others noted, they tend to use the small EV a lot more than they intended!

Will look at a Skoda.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not overly worried about the drive (I barely drive anywhere), but do have two adult sons who are “units” plus a medium dog cage.

The Ioniq seemed to have more room in the back than the Kona, paradoxically, but I don’t think it’d fit a dog cage at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

How **** much is Ionity charging?! Bastards!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

How **** much is Ionity charging?! Bastards!

He he! Did you not know? 69p per kWh which is more expensive than petrol. Plus they pre-authorise £67 for each charge and do not release the funds for the full 7 days they take to clear the charging transaction. That’s £67 of your own money minus the actual cost of the charge you can’t use for a week. They are an utter bunch of sh!ts and its no surprise VW is a major stakeholder in them. I’ve only used them once and will never do so again unless its a distress purchase and I genuinely have no alternative

Drac

Yup it’s very expensive but you can use manufacturers charge card for discounted rates. Hyundai and many others have invested in them, not just VW. The idea is it’s for a very short quick top up. 10 minutes have me 60 miles when I tested them. That was at 118KWh average at 28p KWh, so it used just over £3 of my free credit. I’m not likely to keep my charge card after the free year though.

Probably need to cap prices at charge stations to stop such ridiculous prices.

5lab

and do not release the funds for the full 7 days

To be fair as a merchant you have no control over this, although it should only take 2 to 3 days to submit the payment through, this is probably their aquirer running slow rather than anything else

molgrips
    Free Member

I had no idea there’s a Hyundai charge card.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I signed up, but there’s no discount with Ionity until you pay a tenner a month. Not a nice business model that.

However the Charge Hyundai app tells me there’s a 50kW charger right by this hotel I’m in that wasn’t on Zap Map.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Probably doesnt help that the Ionity entity taking your payment is a German company based in Germany

I looked into KiaCharge and didn’t bother with it. Despite Hyundai Motor Group having a stake in Ionity there is no preferential charging rate.

thepurist

One possible unintended benefit of EVs came to mind yesterday evening while a local yoot, let’s call him Barry, was driving laps of the neighbourhood testing his big exhaust and snap, crackle and pop engine remap. I’m assuming that the Barrys of 2050 will have to either invest in a vintage 2025 Astra (with full body kit) or find some other way to express themselves.

b230ftw
    Free Member

@thepurist yes I can’t wait for engine noise to be a thing of the past. Probably won’t be eliminated in my lifetime but greatly reduced. I like the quiet whir of an electric car and cannot stand that manufacturers want to put fake noises on the outside of EVs (or on the inside!).

Tyre noise for most cars is more audible over 30mph (IIRC) than engine noise so most residential streets will get a lot quieter.

Mark

We have an e208.. It’s got Thule roof bars on and we’ve been moving bikes around with it just fine.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Yup it’s very expensive but you can use manufacturers charge card for discounted rates. Hyundai and many others have invested in them, not just VW. The idea is it’s for a very short quick top up. 10 minutes have me 60 miles when I tested them. That was at 118KWh average at 28p KWh, so it used just over £3 of my free credit. I’m not likely to keep my charge card after the free year though.

I’m hoping by the time I get my full EV (in 4 years probably) this nonsense will be much reduced. The manufacturers are just being greedy and thinking that tying people to a card or a type of charger makes it better for them but surely there will come a time when we can rock up to a decent charger and get a fill up at a reasonable price without having to register/logon/pay through the nose. There’s probably an excuse that they are trying to recoup the cost of installing the chargers but I reckon that’s only a small part of it.

I’m noticing a lot more places have chargers installed now, they are cropping up everywhere. Not all wonderful fast chargers but it’s good to see.

pictonroad

We will need to pay per mile for roads somehow so it will probably even out cost wise at some point soon.

Drac

Despite Hyundai Motor Group having a stake in Ionity there is no preferential charging rate.

https://chargemyhyundai.com/web/hyundai-gb/tariffs

It’s extra, an expensive extra unless you use them a lot

I like the quiet whir of an electric car and cannot stand that manufacturers want to put fake noises

It’s EU and Government directive for the outside sound.

luket

The EV boot space thing I find a little bizarre. Ditto the view that they’re SUVs because of the space the battery takes up. I’m not saying this isn’t the case (IANA car designer) but it doesn’t seem to be a big issue for Tesla, whose models 3 and S are both low and have really big battery capacities, and this isn’t the reason Y/X are SUVs because they use the same battery and floor pans as 3/S. Plus it’s not kwh we seek but miles, a factor of battery size but also of drag and weight.

I’ve been trying to help a wheelchair user find a suitable EV and boot space discounts most models. She’s also got young kids. The MG estate and ioniq are just about doable but the Soul’s boot is tiny and the Niro isn’t on motability. We’re going to start looking outside the motability scheme. I guess the Model Y would suit but it’s in a different price bracket.

High boot lips are another negative for someone in a wheelchair.

bensales
    Free Member

The crossover and SUV style is to allow batteries to be fit in

<Looks out the window at a very saloon shaped Tesla Model 3 with a massive battery>

Really? Er, no.

They’ve crossover and SUV shaped because that style is currently fashionable for cars and sells more.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 6,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.