Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The elderly parent Christmas present idea thread
  • matt_outandabout

I can’t be the only one with elderly father, who lives in small flat and has everything he wants…
    There’s only so many interesting books or M&S jumpers I can stand buying him.
    Suggestions please.

andy4d

Oh how I share your problem. Just been asking my own dad if there was anything he wanted. Nope. I really enjoy being able to get him nice things but as you said he has everything he wants and I hate buying things that will never be used by someone. Last year I got him a new electric razor and a Scottish history book. He said he fancied a new bedside clock this year so at least I have a starting point…… following with interest

mrb123
    Free Member

Make him up a hamper of quality local produce. Cheeses, preserves, chocolates, some nice ale if he drinks,

MoreCashThanDash

Jigsaws for my dad.
    DVDs
    Books on hobbies
    Books on old jobs/careers

andylaightscat
    Free Member

How elderly?
    Mum and Dad from 65 on got food, drink, tickets to see stuff (when we’re allowed to again) taken out to do something they were interested in. Stopped buying them stuff and got them/us things to do

Drac

Covid vaccine.

On a serious note we usually make up a little food hamper for my parents.

crikey
    Free Member

Videos of you and your family doing random stuff.
    Just a few minutes a day, stick ’em all together and give him/her/them something to sit down and watch.

Phil_H

I get my parents a food hamper. As above, they don’t need any stuff that will just get stuffed in a cupboard.
    Or gin, my dad likes gin😃

iainc

I’m 54 and this would be my ideal Christmas pressie:

hamper of quality local produce. Cheeses, preserves, chocolates, some nice ale if he drinks,

blokeuptheroad

My dad asks for a band saw blade or an Axminster tool/Screwfix voucher every year! 😄

This year we are going homemade. A couple of watercolour and ink drawings my wife did, a homemade Christmas wreath (wife), some homemade jam (wife), a chilli plant we’ve grown (well the wife did) in a hand painted pot. I painted the pot ☺️

joshvegas
    Free Member

classy

Everyone is getting one of these from me this year.

matt_outandabout

I’m looking up some nice https://www.mrsbridges.co.uk/shop/ marmalade sets.

We’ve done hampers last year, rather challenging to do it this year with the local farm shop closed due to the Scottish lockdown…

bear-uk
    Free Member

My son asked me if I wanted a ventilator for christmas! Something to look forward to I suppose. And stop saying 65 is old or I will bash you with my pension book.

corroded
    Free Member

The best present we’ve got my Dad in recent years has been a Spitfire flight. Not sure if there’s anything like that up in Scotland. But generally, at his age, experiences are best. Mum always gets gardening gloves.

eskay

The local historical society have just published a book about the village that my parents live in, dad is getting a copy for Christmas!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Paint / draw / write him something.

It will come directly from you.

Have a look at some of what I do and if you want to know how to do it please just message me. NicksArtStuff.com

breninbeener

When i asked my 84 yr old father what he would like, he told me he wanted a gas blowtorch!
    Lord only knows what he has planned for that. I may investigate those lovely sounding marmalades instead.

dogbone

Japanese pull saw.

My dad loves his.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Pull poppers that explode streamers.

If he has a bag of them by his chair and randomly surprises he can make any child smile from 4 – 40

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I didn’t know what a Japanese pull saw is… I do now… and now I want one!

bigyim
    Free Member

Some sort of experience that he would like. I got my dad a bird of prey experience
    There is loads of different things he might enjoy

intheborders
    Free Member

Buy them a PC.

That way you’ll get loads of quality phone time with your Dad thru the year 😉

trumpton
    Free Member

Does he like animals? Maybe sign up to adapt an animal, such as a nice little DOnkey at the sanctuary.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The elderly parent Christmas present idea thread’ is closed to new replies.