Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The effect of Chinese factory closures?
  • globalti
    Free Member

I work in the chemicals industry and people are already scanning the horizon for clouds gathering thanks to closure of manufacturing plants in China. We suffered huge shortages in 2018/19 when a BASF factory in Germany blew up and then by an astonishing coincidence two Indian factories also making key raw materials burned down. Industry generally operates very slim nowadays so it won’t take long for European manufacturers to start buying up available Chinese feedstocks and prices to begin to increase, again, just as we are recovering from the 2018/19 crisis. This matters to everybody because somehow everything you buy contains elements that can be traced back to China.

binners

On a positive note all the Chinese factories shutting down means less carbon dioxide so global warming is a no longer an issue. We’re all saved!!! We’re no longer going to be boiled alive or end up underwater!!! Huzzah!!!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Several of my suppliers have notified us their (Al) extrusion is now delayed, plastics and electronics too. Upwards of 2 weeks for the extrusion no indication on the plastic or tech but I imagine that’s into the days or weeks already

That’s everything from food packing to iPhones then.

cheers_drive

It could be quite a shock to the global economy if they don’t contain it in the next 2 weeks. We try to make everything in the UK but a few things have to be done in China. The workers have all gone back to their villages for Chinese New Year and won’t be able to travel back to the cities until the travel ban is lifted.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It could be quite a shock to the global economy

Sure I read somewhere but now can’t find it forecast was up to 3% of China gdp, thats a huge knock-on.

Given India now has a case I wonder if they’ll flow suit. I can see this getting a lot worse on an economic side, even if the direct human cost is very low.

funkmasterp

Poundland will have empty shelves.

grtdkad

…and no toys / land-fill fodder in Happy Meals

Drac

End of Planet-x sales.

funkmasterp

End of Planet-x sales

When the machines eventually take over there will still be Planet X sales.

They can’t be bargained with, they can’t be reasoned with and they will not stop, ever, until you require customer services.

Sui
    Free Member

@globalti I e started seeing notes in from my clients asking what the impact will be, thankfully most of my chemicals come out of ARA region, but its definitely squeeky bum time as people panic and thus prices go up..

Time for a price rise, I’ve got a reason now 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They were panic buying down Aldi’s Isle of dreams tonight

grtdkad

Special OPEC meeting this coming week as a result of the industrial downturn in China and the knock-on effect to global gas demand (and prices).

easily
    Free Member

Aldi’s Isle of dreams

Brilliant!

ampthill

I think china supply a bit more than happy meal toys and Aldi bargains

MoreCashThanDash

Well, obviously, but those are the important stuff

CountZero

When the machines eventually take over there will still be Planet X sales.

They can’t be bargained with, they can’t be reasoned with and they will not stop, ever, until you require customer services.

🤣🤣🤣

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The effect of Chinese factory closures?’ is closed to new replies.