Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The "Driving Home For Christmas" breakdown thread – place bets now!
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Not far from my mum and dad’s, accelerated from 30 to 40 in fourth not particularly hard then lots of juddering and “engine fault, repair needed”. Recovery man said they’d be an hour at 10.30 so I reckon we have a good hour left for a Christmas Eve “what’s happened to it then?” sweepstake.

Peugeot 208 Gti, 1.6. Most likely cause I think is it saw a post I put up here saying that despite it being my first French car it had been very reliable.

The biggest injustice is that I was on my way to the West Yorkshire Cyclocross Christmas fancy dress race – hours on my pheasant costume wasted!

goldfish24

Piston broke

Houns

Not wasted if you’re stood there at side of the road with it on, pix please

munrobiker
    Free Member

Houns – I haven’t I’m afraid. Putting it in would pass some time I suppose…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Tell West Yorkshire you will strava a same length ride in those woods beyond the car while wearing your pheasant costume, waiting for breakdown recovery to arrive. 😉

Are Peugeot engines made by Volvo? 😈

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDt3u2Ev1cI[/video]

munrobiker
    Free Member

The woods do have some good trails that I haven’t ridden in about 15 years…

wiggles
    Free Member

cylinder head issues, hope you have a warranty!

Merry christmas

Houns

Get it on, then post pix

parkesie
    Free Member

Coil or plug failed would be a nice cheap outcome.

weeksy

It’s proper Donald ducked.

£3000 bill.

Merry xmas

jambourgie
    Free Member

Timing belt?

midlifecrashes

More importantly, what’s the milestone saying, I do like a nice old milestone.

martinhutch

Pics of you in said pheasant costume or you can forget about any sympathy.

slackalice
    Free Member

Does it have one of those stupid dual mass flywheel’s? Shuddering and juddering could indicate an imbalanced rotating mass.

Does the engine start?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Diesel in a Petrol motor/other way around, and you were too excited by the thought of stylishly rolling up those tights and feeling silk undergarments to notice which pump handle to grab?

Cheap fix, be on your way in under an hour.

Enjoy the Party, don’t let the Beagles spoil the long yomp over the fields.. 😀

P20

Timing has skipped/snapped

munrobiker
    Free Member

All bets are off, the winner is (going by the recovery man’s fault code reader) – parkesie! Misfire on cylinder 1, probably a coil.

Picking up a new coil from Eurocarparts this afternoon, replace it on Boxing Day, get the garage to clear the fault code on the 27th (unless anyone is feeling very generous near Holmfirth on the 26th). All in, I should find out it’s something much more serious and expensive and all I’ve done is break it slightly more by 1pm on Wednesday.

cloudnine
    Free Member

what’s happened to it then?

Its French

jambourgie
    Free Member

All belts are off

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member
    what’s happened to it then?
    Its French

Coil on cylinder 1 went on strike.

matt_outandabout

*shrugs*

scotroutes

So you weren’t actually “driving home” at all?

mrsheen
    Free Member

Another one for a timing belt issue.

munrobiker
    Free Member

End of this emotional roller-coaster. Managed to borrow an OBD reader from a friend and it took ten minutes to swap the coil. Done 20 miles in it and now it’s all fine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😀

wiggles
    Free Member

At least it was easily resolved, bet that was a pheasant surpise

gregsd
    Free Member

Had a Pug 208 gti a few years ago and had no end of problems with it. They even replaced the cylinder head under warranty but still had issues with sensors putting the engine in limp mode. Decided to replace it before the warranty ran out! We’ve had a few Pugs over the years without issues but this car put me off and never again. Aside from this and the driving position, it was a great little car, though!

Sandwich

Bouf

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘The "Driving Home For Christmas" breakdown thread – place bets now!’ is closed to new replies.