Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The drawback with having TOO good a lock…
  • 13thfloormonk

… the ratbags just cut through the frame instead 👿

Guess it was worth it for a few hundred quid’s worth of components, probably saved me from the inevitable schooling I was going to recieve trying to night ride the North Shore over winter [/trying to be philosophical about it]

user-removed
    Free Member

Bad craic, but hardly news. This is what they do these days.

Honestly, I’m beginning to think that the only way to keep a bike is to buy a Boardman, slather it in Hammerite and lock it up with an Abus lock which costs 3x the cost of the bike. Then store the whole sorry mess in a freightliner.

We’ve had two lots of bikes pinched. The thefts stopped when we adopted a large, hairy dog. We give him free reign of the house and garden. I realise this solution isn’t ideal for everyone but I’ll happily pick up dogsh1t in return for a noisy bugger protecting me and my wee family.

JoeG
    Free Member

Wow! How in the hell do you stop that? A hacksaw would cut through an aluminum or steel frame or fork real fast, I guess. 🙁

From what I’ve read on STW, a lot of the thieves are after the components as the frames have serial numbers and therefore are riskier to sell.

I feel for you! 🙁

13thfloormonk

Yeah, apparently Vancouver is real bad for it, although I thought Edinburgh was bad.

I actually think I might have been spotted previously, or even followed, as the bike was too well buried in an underground car park for an opportunist to just stroll by.

user-removed
    Free Member

Dogs don’t like underground carparks, so if you must commute on a bike (and good on ya) do what the rest of us do and buy a beater (then cover it in Hammerite).

Really sorry this has happened 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

aw man that is a killer ian.

you able to get your self another ? there absolutely no way you can keep a good bike in your flat in a bike bag or something ? To many folk have access to comunal bike lock areas for them to be a safe idea – it just takes timmy down the pub to tell his mate about this wicked bike in his lock up area for it to be gone.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, wasnt a commuter, the only way I could make our night rides was bringing the good bike into work and locking it. I only left it overnight as I had two night rides back to back.

Surprised how not-pissed-off I am, must be the red wine…

13thfloormonk

Terry, the bike was fine in my flat, it was just when I wanted to go riding after work I had to lock it up in the car park, it just wasn’t practical to leave it in the flat unless I wanted to get to the trails an hour after everyone had set off. I had definitely been spotted entering or leaving I think, there’s just no way an opportunist would have wandered that far into an underground car park with a set of bolt-cutters, I even think they might have had a van or a car or something.

C’est la vie I guess, just piecing together my night-trail-running gear instead, great time of year to pick up a new hobby! 8)

Karinofnine

bummer! I feel for you, I hope the thief gets syphillis.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Sorry to hear 🙁

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Happened to at least one other person – their bike is on ebay…
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PINNACLE-NEON-TWO-FRAME-DAMAGED-FOR-SPARES-OR-REBUILD-/261123273283

firestarter
    Free Member

Someone once pinched my cranks from a locked bike , bstards 🙁

GrahamS

How in the hell do you stop that?

Lock it up better?

U-lock goes through the back wheel AND the frame AND whatever you are locking it to.
    Then cable goes through front wheel, through frame and whatever you are locking it to, then to the u-lock.

That way they’d need to cut through frame, wheel and cable to remove the bike.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzhsvT0mLw[/video]

Sorry – not much help to the OP and really not trying to be smug – but I see a LOT of bikes that are very badly locked up.

brakes
    Free Member

really not trying to be smug

it just comes naturally 😉

GrahamS

it just comes naturally

😛

No point being smug. A determined thief could still get my bike, but they’ll have to take longer and take more risks – which hopefully puts them off.

13thfloormonk

Nah, fair point about the locking, years of getting away with it and I must have gotten too casual. Worst thing is I usually locked it better but had left one of my locks behind…

I have a little mental image of two odd looking, very flat washers lying on the ground beside where my bike had been, beginning to think the thieves were more subtle than I’d first thought and actually unbolted the rear linkages, probably means the frsme is intact, which in turn means they might be selling it as a complete bike after all. If only I could find where I put that bloody serial number then I might be on to something…

alexdodd
    Free Member

Where in Edinburgh did this happen out of interest (as in which car park)? I’ve been having real trouble with opportunist thieving scum myself, and literally chased a schemey ****ard down the union canal about 2 weeks ago…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Alex

Ian lives in vancouver canada now

takisawa2

Can you (OP), buy a bike bag & keep the bike indoors…
    Must be worth a few mins trouble to pop wheels back on, to know its safe[list].[/list]

alexdodd
    Free Member

Ooooohhh, haha completely misread this post!

13thfloormonk

Ooops, had actually missed the last few replies to this post, blame the time difference 😳

Happy end to the story though, I got it back, with some bonus Marzocchi Junior T forks! 😀

Will start another thread though, its a good wee story although I’m too drunk on Stanley Park Amber Ale and whisky to type it out now *hic*

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Great news! (If it still counts as news after 2 months…)

scaredypants

Hmmmmm, Junior T’s you say – aren’t they a type of BOMBER ?!

(did you get to “meet” the thief ?)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The drawback with having TOO good a lock…’ is closed to new replies.