Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The door slamming crazy in the flat below.
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Any ideas on how to sort him out.I,ve tried most sensible ideas.Is it time to use my bombers?Cheers.

user-removed
    Free Member

The only language people like this understand is that of intimidation. So scare the bajesus out of him by laying your stereo speakers on the floor and playing, well, pretty much anything, at high volume.

He *will* get the message.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Kind of conclusion I was coming to user.Social Landlords only care about rent payments.I guess were all in survival mode at the moment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yunki
    Free Member

We once lived above a nice mousey lady doctor..
    Now I have to admit to playing some music occasionally when she first moved in and a couple of late evening gatherings, which we spoke about and apologised for..
    Fast forward to a year or so later, Mrs Yunki was pregnant and we had installed plush carpets and underlay.
    Ours was a quiet life, genteel and tranquil with soft voices, evenings in front of the TV with good food and footrubs and early nights.. Month after month of peace and harmony..

One morning we found a note under the door from the good lady doctor, apparently she had spent another night sleeping in the car in the cold as our raucous antics had kept her awake all night again, in fact we had driven her from her home and she was selling up, were we satisfied now!?

Ok, now we really are quiet people, we have our tv quiet, we are softly spoken and step lightly.. So please, before you make any rash decisions, please ensure first, that you are not stark raving bonkers..

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

You have tried everything…
    What do you expect the social housing landlord to do about it!?
    Sorry but it’s door slamming, in reality they arn’t slamming them but are just too lazy to close the doors and are just swinging them closed, and the bang carrying.
    Tbh the HA will have no power to resolve this after a conversation with the tnt has failed to get them to change their ways.

I know your probably annoyed and frustrated but living on flats is living in close quarters and you will always hear others noise (even in terraced houses)

You have the following options…
    1: prove the noise is excessive and unreasonable, frankly exceptionally unlikely as door bangs are classed and normal day to day living. But if you can evidence repeated sustained door banging late at night then perhaps, get you environmental health noise team to put in sound recording kit. You cannot just use a recorder as it won’t be certified.
    2: presuming you have talked to then and they won’t close doors carefully, buy them some draft excluding strips, to act as a damper on the doors reducing the sound.
    3. Wear earplugs at night
    4. Move your bead room to another quieter room
    5. Move somewhere else

singlespeedstu

Break in and remove all their doors.

Problem sorted.

tinybits
    Free Member

The other option is that it’s self closers put onto the doors for fire regs. So actually they are being slammed for them.
    When you say you’ve tried most reasonable things, does this include talking?

kayak23

When you say you’ve tried most reasonable things, does this include talkingbreaking in and fixing kippers to the backs of their radiators?

trail_rat
    Free Member

got a turbo trainer ?

those dont go well with flats.

wwaswas

The door slamming crazy in the flat below

Have they really got mental health issues?

Next weeks thread: “The bloke upstair’s dialysis machine keeps me awake, break in and turn it off?”.

cooie

The other option is that it’s self closers put onto the doors for fire regs. So actually they are being slammed for them.

If the doors do have closers they can be adjusted so they don’t slam!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Oh we are a sympathetic lot today.

richmtb

I had noisy neighbours once.

Audiolab Power Amp and big B&W floorstanders

Peace through superior firepower

handyandy
    Free Member

send them an envelope with 4 dead wasps in it.

mrmoofo

Pogo stick?
    Buy a drum set?
    Learn how to tap-dance …

allthepies
    Free Member

Sourcing said insects might be troublesome currently if one didn’t have the foresight to store some from the summer months.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Marshall 4 x 12 and a Stratocaster.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

user-removed – Member

The only language people like this understand is that of intimidation. So scare the bajesus out of him by laying your stereo speakers on the floor and playing, well, pretty much anything, at high volume.

He *will* get the message.

This^

With Iron Butterfly, In a gadda davida

guaranteed to scare the bajeezers out anyone

Nick

Have they really got mental health issues?

Seems like a reasonable assumption if they do actually go around slamming doors

brakes
    Free Member

seal his flat so it is airtight and then pump in warm moist air so that the wood expands and his doors jam and don’t close properly.
    easies.

boxfish
    Free Member

Break in and remove all their doors.

This was my favourite suggestion, until

seal his flat so it is airtight and then pump in warm moist air so that the wood expands and his doors jam and don’t close properly.

xcgb
    Free Member

easies.

Just imagine how angry he would get trying to slam a door that just won’t comply!

shermer75
    Free Member

Take a leaf out of this man’s book and continually sleep with the man’s wife

richc
    Free Member

its more than likely the fire door closers like this:

Which can’t be adjusted, as far as I know.

I used to have them in my old flat and they were a nightmare as if you missed them the doors shut with an almighty bang. I ended up getting a wedge and holding it open

ninfan
    Free Member

Have to comment that this recent penchant for laminated flooring in flats is going to lead to murders!

vorlich
    Free Member

Marshall 4 x 12 and a Stratocaster.

A ladies guitar? 😆

Clearly this is a job for a Gibson of some sort. SG maybe?

z1ppy

fire door closers
    Which can’t be adjusted, as far as I know.

Yes they can to an extent, they come with a ‘tool’ (slip of metal with a notch to fit into the chain when in the open position) and you twist the chain one way or the other to adjust tension. Not exactly the easiest of job IIRC, especially if you let the chain pull all the way into the main body, but possible.
    See here

Though I feel I may have wander off subject slightly… so for the sake of the OP..

Break in and remove fit (or adjust the speed of there) door closers

Problem sorted.

richc
    Free Member

and not something you want tenants to **** with……?

Hohum
    Free Member

My wife and children don’t slam doors, but they won’t pull the handles down when closing them and the incessant ker-chunking does my head in.

Now that I have focused in on the noise I have probably made it louder in my head.

dmorts

There is a lot can be done, but you might have be persistent with local authority, if it comes to that. Firstly, do you think having a word with the occupant is possible to make them aware? It could be as simple as door closers. Failing this, keep a note of when the noise occurs and its effect on your household. Are there people below him? Do they suffer the same? If you’re going to approach housing association/local authority then it’s good to have a case

Also how old is the block of flats?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Sourcing said insects might be troublesome currently if one didn’t have the foresight to store some from the summer months.

I can sort you some wasps. Live or dead. Whatever.

dmorts

Yunki,

Your flat was more likely poorly sound insulated rather than the woman was bonkers. Plush carpets make little difference

wwaswas

My wife and children don’t slam doors, but they won’t pull the handles down when closing them and the incessant ker-chunking does my head in.

I *wish* I was able to get annoyed by family closing doors.

I spend the entire winter huffing and puffing as they leave them all open, all the time and ensure we have a toasty warm hall, stairs and landings and drafts in the lounge. I’m worse than my Dad, tbh.

Hohum
    Free Member

wwaswas,

I have an easy rule about whether it is okay to keep a door open or closed: if the heating isn’t on it can be open or closed, but if the heating is on then keep them closed.

They seem to do okay against this rule, but it does lead to a lot of ker-chunking…

You can’t win, eh!

yunki
    Free Member

Dmorts – possibly, but I’d lived there for six years previous to her arrival, and was quite an antisocial neighbour on occasions during that time, but got on just fine with all of the occupants of the five other flats in the block..

And pregnant Mrs yunki and I really were very very quiet indeed, and almost simperingly considerate.. pretty much always being asleep in bed at the times when we were supposedly driving her out with our thoughtless noisy behaviour..

As someone mentioned above, I think she had focussed in on the sound and could no longer even bare the creak of a mattress spring, or a gentle sleepy fart..
    Not a good state of mind for living in a block of flats

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The door slamming crazy in the flat below.’ is closed to new replies.