Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • The detritus of life – moving house and where it went wrong?
  • oldtennisshoes

Once of the best strategic decisions I ever made was that we wouldn’t store anything in the loft, when we moved into this house 7 years ago.
    My kids won’t have to clear out this attic in the same way I did my parent’s and inlaws.

blackhat
    Free Member

I think we are pretty good at the “time for it to go” decision except…when we moved house a year or so ago I discovered that 20 years plus of putting football and other sporting programmes in the attic at the end of each season added up to a rather a lot of piles of heavy paper.  Which have found their way into the attic of the new house “to be sorted out on a rainy day” much to the annoyance of Mrs BH

cat69uk
    Free Member

I’ve had for a couple of years since clearing out my Uncle’s house, 100’s of 78’s records.  All show tunes, classical etc… probably worth loads but absolutely no idea where to move on.  Just keep putting it of and continue to trip over them in the spare room.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

probably worth loads but absolutely no idea where to move on. Just keep putting it of and continue to trip over them in the spare room.

Unless it’s stuff that would sell well at a particular real world auction or collectors fair where you would have a greater number of interested buyers, then it’s probably best just putting them on ebay.

Part of my clearing-out-catharsis has been just giving stuff away even if it has some value. Because:
    1) I don’t want to be dealing with “shoppers”, like the DIY thread, leave that for the people who work in retail. Unless it’s a big expensive thing I could just work overtime in my real job more profitably than haggling over £10 and waiting in all morning for it to be collected.
    2) It does cost me money to store it. Why spend all that money on the mortgage and upkeep of a house just to use it as a storage unit? You could do something fun with that room instead, or downsize and have the money (or even rent it to someone else, this is apparently a thing, like Air BnB for attics and sheds).

Holding out for a “best” price on anything is a false economy. The OH has put her expensive but never worn winter coat on vinted, turned down several offers of 80-90% the asking price, and it’s now February so it won’t sell for another year. So for the sake of £5-£10 it’s wasted several hours and another year of wardrobe space.

thecaptain
    Free Member

There’s also something quite cheering in selling on something no longer used to another person who might actually make use of it. The money isn’t really the point IMO, but if you can charge something rather than give it away free it does help to ensure the buyer actually wants it and isn’t just a collector of tat to put in their own shed…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to think that, then realized it only bothered me up until it was gone. Once it’s out out sight I don’t care anymore.
    If it’s something I think will be popular I might stick a £5 price on it just to filter out the people who seem to have a google alert for free stuff on marketplace, then not accept any money for it when they turn up.

I’m not saying give everything away, if it’s got some actual value and there’s a market for it like bike bits or larger car parts I’ll sell it for as much as I can get.

e.g. we gave away some Ikea shelves with a folding desk a couple of months ago, it was probably worth something, but then I’d have to store it in the hallway, which delays finishing decorating it, which delays the next DIY project, which delays getting carpets down on the stairs, etc. At some point holding out for £50 for them wasn’t worth it.

I really want to just bin / give away all the CD’s that haven’t been touched for 10 years, maybe I’ll win that argument when we move house. It’s already lost me a few hundred quid when she bought enough racks to store ~1000 of them we accumulated between us.

crazy-legs

I really want to just bin / give away all the CD’s that haven’t been touched for 10 years, maybe I’ll win that argument when we move house

I have a fair few CDs.
    I’ve not had a CD player for about 10 years…

🤔

Cougar

I really want to just bin / give away all the CD’s that haven’t been touched for 10 years, maybe I’ll win that argument when we move house. It’s already lost me a few hundred quid when she bought enough racks to store ~1000 of them we accumulated between us.

The second-hand market for CDs is dead. You’re looking at pence per disc, if anywhere will take them at all. I shifted a couple of Billy’s worth of DVDs to CEX when I moved house, got like £15 for the lot. I was gutted.

Andy

I put all my CDs & DVDs into those multi-wallet zip up CD folders. Take up 1/10 of the space now (still use them in my Van cd player).

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got a box of CDs in the loft. All ripped to MP3 a few computers ago. Don’t even own a cd player so no idea why I have them still.

StuF

Due to a change in family situation that I’m trying to make the best of I’m quite looking forward to cleaning out a load of crap that’s been accumulated over the past 20 years

bfw

I spend a lot of time ‘recycling’ items we dont need.  I clean and sell on eBay, Vinted etc if there is a value.  If not I give away on Freecycle.  Spent the afternoon clean kids Oculus Quest 2 to sell on.  I have a one-in-one-out policy, alas I am on the only one in the house who understands the rules 🙂

Most people in my street do similar, eg a skip when they move and the lot goes into it off to a tip.  Joking.  I dont think there is much I would bin if we moved.

doris5000

We still buy second hand DVDs! It’s great – cheaper than renting stuff off streaming, and less of a faff than sifting through all the streaming services to find out where a film is, only to learn that if it’s there at all, it’s Not Available In Your Region. Got a 20-film Hitchcock boxset for a tenner recently.

Please do keep giving them away to charity shops. Not the crap stuff though.

i_like_food

So much of this resonates with a specific example being bike bits that are too good to recycle but the faff of eBaying and the challenge of getting to a post office means I haven’t sold.

The example above of a posters wife not selling a coat because is was worth £x and they were offered £y hits home. Economics dictates the price is one the seller and buyer can agree on, not the one in the sellers head, and I’m terrible for this… Meaning lots of stuff in the garage that is falling in value as standards move on.

Right… motivated by this… lots to list in eBay next weekend with a 99p start price and no reserve!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.