Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The Day of The Triffids. Discuss.
  • Harry_the_Spider

I liked it.

The scenes of apocalyptic London were good, Eddie Izzard made a great mentalist bad guy and the Triffids were scary in a low budget man eating plant sort of way.

stewmtb
    Free Member

I loved it, needs a second part now with humans getting even..

convert

Generally good, but could not stop myself giggling whenever the triffids were on screen.

Was the plot similar to the original 70s book/ tv series? I watched/read them back then but can't remember much.

househusband

Casting Eddie Izzard was a stroke of genius, and I have to admit that (for the first time) I found Joely Richardson kinda hot!

nickc

Yep it's the sort of thing the beeb do well and not a half bad stab at updating a 50's classic

IanMunro
    Free Member

I didn't really pay attention but didn't get very excited by it so switched over to salivate over Trinity instead.
    However I agree that Eddie Izzard has a good acting career ahead of him playing psychopaths 🙂

Smudger666

yeah – agree with the above. eddie Izzard – really good. effects, typical BBC – good in a low budget kind of way.

The plot was fairly loyal to the book, updated as necessary for the 21st century. Was it just wishful thinking or did i see a trailer for an updated 'Survivors' after the first episode? that scared the crap out of me when i saw it back in the 70's.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Dissapointing……….

i preferred the original bbc one with John Dittine (spelling?)

Always freeked me out how they used their roots as legs.

Kinda upset i wasted nearly 3 hours of my life watcing it, 2/10 🙁

bobbyspangles

i enjoyed it for what it was-an adaptation, with the storyline venturing away from wyndhams text slightly.
    i was always scared by the '70s tv series but watching it recently i found it pretty crap with far to many beards.

Brian Cox as always, delivered

Harry_the_Spider

It's the second series of Survivors. The first one was last year.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Was it just wishful thinking or did i see a trailer for an updated 'Survivors' after the first episode?

The first one was (and is) great television – been watching it again with the missus. The new one… it sucks, it blows, it is truly terrible. And I *love* most apocalyptic tv/cinema.

oldgit
    Free Member

It was OK. Kept thinking that this will have a good ending, you know all scientific like and that. And how did it end? run away run away. Have you seen how much the Wight Link ferry costs 😕

monsta
    Free Member

Couldn't watch it without giggling each time Eddie stomped about the place and was half expecting him to blurt out "I'm covered in Beeeeeeees"

Curly68
    Free Member

I was kind of hoping it was the original but my 11yr old son and I watched both parts and he loved it! I enjoyed looking at Joely Richardson as well, she is hot!

bananaworld
    Free Member

BIAS ALERT

I'm quite a fan of John Wyndham's books so this new Day Of The Triffids had a lot to live up to, for me.

I was very excited about it initially and it started very well…

…then it went tits.

It's like they read the book and thought "y'know, this isn't really exciting enough, let's add in random shit."

– I wanted to, but can't, gloss over the 747 crashing in central London with one survivor…

– A short and pointless sequence about pseudo-Christian human sacrifice.

– Evading the Triffids by making yerself look all emo.

But having said that, certain things were very cool:

– The Nazgul-style Triffids were damn scary (though the rather free artistic licence meant that this version had no reason for them being called TRIffids…)

– Bill Masen opening up with a machine gun whilst going "Raaaaaaaagh!!!" before battering the Triffid to bits with a flaming stick – yes!

– Oh, er, that's about it for improvements over the text.

It was a bit long winded and, sorry to the actor, but Bill Masen was just so lifeless (apart from the bit above) and deadpan.

It's the second series of Survivors.

You made that up!

Have you seen how much the Wight Link ferry costs

I find it quite reasonable when purchased with a train ticket – I think they made the right decision 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

+1 for Joely Richardson.

bintangman
    Free Member

Thank god for Skyplus allowing you forward the scary bits. Had to check it was after 9pm.

And just wait until the Triffids realise you can get a great deal on block booked tickets over to the island. I'd happily direct them to my uncles house there.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I thought it was awful. Decided it hadn't been worth rushing home for after all, and found something else to do after 30mins of 'giving it a chance'.

V poor dialogue let it down for me, and just HTF does Joely Richardson keep getting work??? Baffling. Dougray Scot wasn't up to strength either.

Eddie Izzard was OK in a non-speaking role kinda way… Ewen Bremner was the best thing about it, IMHO.

2/10. Must try harder. See me.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i thought it was pretty good. Couldn't remember all of the original story so wasn't bothered by the alterations. I think the plot changes were to make it up to date.

Fair enough not believing the plane crash, but it is not less believable than a load of man eating plants wandering about!

It's the sort of random thing that BBC does.

bananaworld
    Free Member

It's not that I don't "believe" in the plane crash: the man-eating, ambulatory plants are the science fiction bit and are plausible in the context of the story.

The main antagonist being the sole survivor from an airliner that happened to crash in Westminster is just random-nonesense-shoehorning.

It rather reminded me of the bit in The Life Of Brian where the alien ship crashes and he stumbles out:

Eddie Izzard – you lucky bastard.

avdave2

So when the triffids are all confined no one goes in without eye protection but once they are on the loose no one bothers apart from a couple of kiddie snipers in swimming goggles. Saved from the last 40 minutes of this drivel by a power cut.

Read the book for school years ago and loved it, read it in 2 days.

Scootash
    Free Member

And yet no one killed the triffids by spraying them with seawater. Duh.

anagallis_arvensis

Cant believe anyone thought it was good, I only watched it as I have **** all else to do being confined to the sofa post hip op. Acting was shit, plot was shit and script was **** worse. In summary a complete and utter load of old ****. Especially the end, we'll just look a bit odd then they wont attack us then we'll paddle off down the Thames and end up at the Isle of White.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so switched over to salivate over Trinity instead.

really ?? She looks like a cold fish to me 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

i thought it was an episode of Beverley Hills 90210, who remembers Jason priestly?

DezB
    Free Member

Totally agree with anagallis_arvensis, (except I'd spell it Isle of Wight.)
    Couldn't believe I'd wasted 3 hrs watching such tosh.
    WTF would Izzard's men with the machine guns have stood close enough to the fence to be grabbed? Why wasn't Brian Cox looking in the feed hole when the root grabbed his arm? Why did the hero bloke suddenly stop looking out for a triffid when the young girl turned up?
    Those sort of plot holes really piss me off.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Me and Mrs S enjoyed it. Okay it wasn't perfect but we certainly didn't feel we'd wasted three hours.

Izzard was really good as a meglamanic.

The triffids were a bit shit though. They looked like aspidistras in purple hoodies.

Guybrush
    Free Member

Anyone else notice that Dougray was wearing Will Smith's I Am Legend outfit?

crazy-legs

I thought it was alright. Videoed the final part cos I was out last night so I watched it today and I have to admit to fast forwarding a few of the slightly drearier parts.
    The usual BBC stuff, entertaining enough take-your-brain-out TV fluff. Not bad but a reasonable way of loafing in front of the TV.

marsdenman
    Free Member

3 hours passed without much thought – except 'better get another beer' and 'better put anther log on the fire'.
    Thought the original series Triffids were much better – these were bordering on camp….
    and had one to many moments where i expected Izzard to blurt out..
    'i don't need a tray, i'm the Dark Lord' 😀

IdleJon

Cliched – "Lets make a bit that looks identical to '28 Days Later', let's make the blind people look like zombies, etc".

Very poor dialogue especially in the second episode – "It's a brilliant plan Bill, but how are we going to get past the 1000s of triffids?" said with a straight face.

Terrible, terrible, wooden acting – What else do we expect from Dougray Scott?

Confused and unfeasible plotlines even for a sci-fi story – are triffids intelligent, heroes, villains, etc? Walking out of a plane crash in Westminster by hiding in the toilet surrounded by lifevests?

No logic whatsoever – why would triffid experts venture out without head and eye protection, but little girls have worked out that they need it? It can't be that difficult to find motorcycle helmets, goggles etc.

Why was some of it so dated? Using WW2 sub-machine guns, Citroen 2CVs, old Range Rovers, etc. Was this meant to be a link to the earlier adaptation?

So, I'd summarize it as the biggest load of crap I've seen this Xmas, which is disappointing as the book is very good. Eddie Izzard made me giggle though, I don't know whether he meant to.

al2000

Hmm, can't decide whether it was b0llocks, or utter b0llocks.

porterclough
    Free Member

Cliched – "Lets make a bit that looks identical to '28 Days Later', let's make the blind people look like zombies, etc"

Err… isn't it more accurate to say that 28 Days Later is a clear rip-off of Day of the Triffids?

bananaworld
    Free Member

No, it's not.

porterclough
    Free Member

Yes it is. I sat there in the cinema wondering how they'd gotten away with it.

IdleJon

porterclough – Member

Cliched – "Lets make a bit that looks identical to '28 Days Later', let's make the blind people look like zombies, etc"

Err… isn't it more accurate to say that 28 Days Later is a clear rip-off of Day of the Triffids?

I'm talking specifically about the deserted Westminster Bridge scene. Unashamedly ripped from 28 Days.

Alcopop
    Free Member

didn't enjoy it but my wife liked it,I thought Dougray Scott looked as fed up as i felt

bananaworld
    Free Member

Was it really stolen from 28 Days Later, Jon, or is that just a convenient place to get THE most recognisable shot of London? ❓

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Dire. dreadful, boring,total waste of time and I didn't like it either

Watched the first ninety minutes which seemed like at least double that time and didn't bother the next night

IdleJon

bananaworld – Member
    Was it really stolen from 28 Days Later, Jon, or is that just a convenient place to get THE most recognisable shot of London?

Have you watched 28 Days Later?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘The Day of The Triffids. Discuss.’ is closed to new replies.