Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The dark art of headsets
  • mattyfez

Another question, sorry.

Getting some bits from Evans in the form of a cycle to work voucher so need to get a quote from whatever they can stock.

I need a straight steerer zs44 semi integrated headset for my new frame (it’s an old frame but brand new)

The head tube on the frame is totally smooth inside, no lip or internal race.

The shop recommends a £20 complete FSA headset which sounds a bit cheap, I’d rather something with better seals and bearings as I ride in all weather, and on occasion into lakes.

Thanks

vincienup
    Free Member

If you really want reassuringly expensive, here’s a Hope ZS44 at CRC.

For somewhere in the middle (around £40) there’s a Forty series Cane Creek option which honestly is just as good but doesn’t say Hope on it. I’d imagine there’s a Chris King option for about £150 too.

nickdavies
    Free Member

FWIW my cheap FSA integrated headset outlasts my cane creek forty by a long way. Lower sealing on the forty (mine anyway) is pants. I’m lucky to get a year out of it with not much use. I put up with it cos the nice blue colour matches everything else! 😳

As long as it’s cartridge and has a decent looking seal on the lower I’d go with the FSA and not worry about it. They’re usually a bit more than £20 though.

vincienup
    Free Member

May be an element of luck of the draw then. I’ve got a Forty heading into its third year without issue and i had a Ten that survived being a daily ride for best part of three years in all weathers as well as a lot of Peak District exploring. The blue lip seal on the crown race seems pretty tight.

I know what you mean about that pretty blue though! 😀

mattyfez

Evans specced me up an FSA for £20.. Is that good for a complete headset..? I would be happy to spend a bit more if it better

jairaj

FWIW my cheap FSA integrated headset outlasts my cane creek forty by a long way. Lower sealing on the forty (mine anyway) is pants. I’m lucky to get a year out of it with not much use.

pretty much exactly this for me too. Then moved to a tapered fork and bought a new lower for the headset and seems to last a bit longer now. Maybe the seal on the crown race is inconsistent so luck of the draw if you get good or bad one?

mattyfez

I’ll get the FSA set then by the sounds of it 🙂

cp

Good choice, I’d stick with FSA.. they ‘just work’.

That said all my headsets are Neco from eBay/China, as they do much the same ‘just work’ but at cheaper cost (12-15 quid delivered usually).

alanf
    Free Member

Hope do a couple that will fit your frame.
    Semi integrated (ZS44 as above), so headset cup and race are pressed into the frame, or an external cup (EC44) which can then take a tapered steerer fork if you ever need to change your fork.

dovebiker

Fit any cheapo mudguard to protect your headset from spray and treble the life of our headset?

[ironymode]Oh, you prefer the ‘joy’ of having filthy water spraying in your face, getting your bike manky and killing your bearings because it looks ‘cool’ – carry-on then /ironymode] 😉

martinhutch

FWIW my cheap FSA integrated headset outlasts my cane creek forty by a long way.

+1

My Cane Creek 40 died after 9 months.

FSA Orbit 2 on my Soul was still going strong after 3 years.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘The dark art of headsets’ is closed to new replies.