Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The cyclist doing 5000 miles around the UK coast.
  • Poopscoop

Sorry if been done?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-56784396

He’s pulling along a homebuilder trailer (that he sleeps in too) of about 50kg.

What an adventure.👍

molgrips
    Free Member

I bet that’s hilly.

Trimix
    Free Member

So has he never heard of a tent, or bike packing kit ? That trailer weighs 50kg. That’s going to hurt way more than its worth.

joeegg
    Free Member

A guy called Mike Carter did it years ago and wrote a book ” One man and his bike “.Not a bad read.

DickBarton

Loads of ways to do it differently, but good on him for going and doing something to help raise funds and awareness. Suspect people seeing that might consider it a bit more quirky and may consider giving a wee bit more.

I certainly agree that it is going to be interesting pulling that along behind him, but suspect he’ll be fine and enjoy the challenge and adventure.

fazzini

A guy called Mike Carter did it years ago and wrote a book ” One man and his bike “.Not a bad read.

There are some genuinely laugh-out-loud moments in that book. Mobility scooters springs to mind. Particularly liked the references to my locale – Whitley Bay nights out and the NE coast.

chaos

So has he never heard of a tent, or bike packing kit ?

I think the idea was that it made him highly visible for attracting publicity, donations, raising awareness with people stopping and talking, etc.

momo

I picked a copy up for a quid from a national trust book shop, I thought that the first half of the book/journey made for a better read than the latter part. I remember thinking that as I was two thirds of the way through the book and he’d only just made it to JoG that either the detail was going to go down or he wouldn’t make it all the way before giving up. In hindsight, I imagine his appetite for writing notes/diaries waned as he got further into the journey. Still a very good read though.

StirlingCrispin

I kinda cycled round Britain and Ireland  in 1995: 6000 miles in 4 months.

Set out to follow the coast but got driven inland by traffic. This was pre-Sustrans and so just plotted a route on quiet roads.Loved every minute, even the crap bits. Was the best thing I’ve ever done.

Most challenging bit was working out when to go. I set off in early April and it was bloody cold. By August it was hot and I was really struggling to find somewhere to camp, so headed home and filled in Norfolk a month later.

http://www.crispinbennett.freedomnames.co.uk/Round%20Britain.htm

Peter Mann really did cycle the coast. His book is well written and a fun read: Postcards from the Edge of Britain: A 5, 000 Mile Journey around the Coast

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/88613334?iid=312770912530

cookeaa

I foresee likely issues with that trailer, but I would love to see the lad succeed.

nt80085

That is some challenge! Really hoping to join him through the Exmoor leg. My 5 year old son has Cornelia de Lange Syndrome – the charity he is raising money for. Will see if we can offer other support, maybe accommodation and food etc. Our local club riders are really supportive of this type of thing too so looking forward to giving him a warm welcome.

franksinatra

Has anyone else been following this?

I foresee likely issues with that trailer, but I would love to see the lad succeed.

Good foresight! He seems to be spending most of his time fixing his bike or fixing his trailer. But, fair play to him, he is plodding away and having an adventure so good for him.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The cyclist doing 5000 miles around the UK coast.’ is closed to new replies.