Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Cult
  • Chase
    Free Member

Just got tickets to see The Cult in October. I was taking a bit of a flyer on it as it's a long time since they did anything really good, but after a bit of reading it turns out they are touring 1985's Love album in it's entirity – this just happens to be one of my top 5 fave albums of all time. Boy, am I excited now.

Dates and stuff here on myspace…http://www.myspace.com/cultmusic

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

hav'nt heard the 'love' album apart from sanctuary (got a 12" of it somewhere), but i did/do really like the later 'electric' album.

must go buy them on cd!

TooTall
    Free Member

Loved their albums – one of the very worst bands I ever saw live. I was gutted and bored.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sanctuary – played none stop in The Bush, St Johns, Worcester by me and my mates in the 80's. Top band on vinyl, never seen them live – heads off to youtube…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

sanctuary – recent footage

Sounds pretty good – slight change in style though!!

DezB
    Free Member

Saw them tour the Love album when it was out. Ian Astbury's yank accent between every song was embarrassing! "HOWYADOINPORTS-MOWTH!! LET'S RAWRK!"
    Prefer his stuff with UNKLE these days.

Junkyard
    Free Member

saw them for electric iirc …like most of those halacon years that is all I recall! Not even who I went with 😳

trailmonkey

I saw them in 1982 at the Golden Eagle in Birmingham. They were called the Southern Death Cult and were dressed in a kind of embarrasing faux American Indian style. Quite liked the noise that they made though. Good gig 🙂

DaRC_L

Saw them on the Electric tour, it was a great gig (as I remember) however I was suffering from a surfeit of Tequila sunrise (drunk by us passengers in the car on the way up)…

lovewookie

Saw them a couple of years ago. the band were great, Astbury was shyte. seemed like he couldn't be arsed being there.

yossarian
    Free Member

saw them on the sonic temple tour, they were ok but no better

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hope you enjoy it Chase.

Trailmonkey, I also saw Southern Death Cult at the warehouse in Leeds in 1983, they were my fave band at that time and, of course, a local Bradford band. saw Death Cult at the Beer Keller (or something like that) in Leeds and The Cult at Leeds Uni in 1985 (maybe 86), I think they'd had a minor hit with Sanctuary by that time, because the crowd had gone from about 300 to about 3000, but I think that was before the Love album tour, I'm not sure.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I saw them at reading and was gutted at how poor they were on stage.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Chase, I'll do you a copy of the Death Cult EPs if your interested in that period, or I'll email them to you?

gavtheoldskater – Member

hav'nt heard the 'love' album apart from sanctuary (got a 12" of it somewhere), but i did/do really like the later 'electric' album.

must go buy them on cd!

Gav, I think She Sells Sanctuary is on the earlier Dreamtime album, that was the tour I saw them on, but the Love album is still worth getting.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Sounds pretty good – slight change in style though!!

I would say it was more of a return to their old style after trying to be poor imitation of AC/DC. I saw them live also around '85 and they were pretty good I thought at the time. I also saw them at Reading after the Electric album and they were boring. Last year they played about 800 yards from my house open-air supporting the Who. Weird sitting in my garden listening them sound check She Sells Sanctuary.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Gav, I think She Sells Sanctuary is on the earlier Dreamtime album, that was the tour I saw them on, but the Love album is still worth getting.

No that's on the Love album too. I think you are thinking about Spiritwalker.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No that's on the Love album too. I think you are thinking about Spiritwalker.

Thanks, yes I was mistaking it for Spiritwalker. 😳

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

liked Love and Electric. Not much else.

slimtubing
    Free Member

i had everything From SDC's eponymously titled album up to and including Firewoman.Sadly my entire record collection was thrown out by my dad sometime in the last 10 years. 🙁
    Saw them on the eve of my 18th birthday at glasgow barrowlands on their electric tour.would definately go to see Love live.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I prefer the stuff up to & including Love. Not sure if I'm prepared to pay £35 a ticket though.

I first saw Southern Death Cult in 1982, I was well impressed. Saw Death Cult in their Brothers Grimm phase at Futurama festival in 1983 – again very good.

See if you can find footage from 'Dreamtime Live at The Lyceum' – IA certainly wasn't going through the motions at that gig!
    Youtube is your friend

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The Cult’ is closed to new replies.