• This topic has 125 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pfunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • The countdown has begun (Ultra White Collar Boxing content)
  • pondo

I signed up last night to do an Ultra White Collar Boxing event, so for the entertainment of the masses and to help raise funds for Cancer Research UK, someone is going to try and give me a good shoeing at the end of November, whilst I try my level best to do the same to him. Never done anything like it before, so it’s an exciting step into an unknown world.

Just wondered from any boxerists or fighterers on the forum – training starts next Thursday but I’ve got a week to fill between now and then. The fight will be three two minute rounds, when I asked what would be good to do running-wise between now and next Thursday, sprinty stuff or endurance stuff, I think because I carry a little extra weight (ahem) the guy suggested I do maybe a couple of miles – but despite my deceptive bulk, I can run two miles ok at a not-very-impressive pace, I’ve recently dabbled with some sprints (20 metre sprint, 20 metre recover, repeat until close to vomiting, etc) and found that extremely taxing. All of this is a very roundabout way of getting to ask – would there be any benefit in tailoring my running to the format of the event, ie 3 x two minutes as fast as I can, with a minute’s rest between sets? Or crack on with the endurance stuff, or the 20 metre sprints? In addition to that, any other tips as ever gratefully received. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

someone is going to try and give me a good shoeing

Don’t use your shoes. It’s against the rules.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Running as training? Planning to use the run away technique

jam-bo

there is a reason boxers do lots of skipping. If you can’t, learn.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Skip will be as close as you can get to the scenario of fighting
    IMHO learn to keep your hands up covering your face – its harder than it sounds and learn to punch properly so you dont drop your hands

Punch a bag for one minute and see where your hands are then imagine doing that whilst someone hits you.

footflaps

Practice skipping whilst people punch you in the head. Build up to 15 minute intervals.

wrecker
    Free Member

Get a heavy bag and a rope. Do intervals. Good luck.

DezB
    Free Member

Learn to throw a left hook, straight right combo as hard as you possibly can. Keep practising. Land em within a few seconds and knock him sparko 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Six minutes of exercise with a couple iof rests during will be easy enough, right?

Wrong. Boxing is incredibly tough – just look at what Freddy Flintoff went through to do one 8 minute fight.

Be prepared to beast yourself for the next few weeks – tabata training would be good. And the advice on skipping is right.

I did a bit as an 11 year old (just sparring). The guys at the gym – just a bunch of amateurs with regular jobs – were supremely fit. And I remember the first time I went in the ring to do some sparring and got punched – ouch!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Gunz
    Free Member

Good on you for taking on such a daunting challenge for charity. I’ve only sparred but I’ve got to say that it’s some of the hardest exercise I’ve ever done. Considering your current level I’d say any exercise would be a start, but circuit training and boxercise would give some overall improvement in a short time.
    Other than that; hands up, don’t punch with a bent wrist and if you’re on the ropes and taking a lot of hooks to the head get your elbows up (inner forearm/elbow interface bloody hurts, it’ll make him think twice).

djflexure

You’ll probably be surprised how hard it is physically to 1. punch correctly (so you dont hurt yourself) and 2. throw more than 6 punches without collapsing into a heap on the floor.

If it were me I’d get training on a bag, learn to pace yourself and do a decent amount of fitness in the 6 weeks (running, skipping, whatever suits you best).

Good luck

Pigface
    Free Member

Learn to throw a punch, how to use your body to get real force behind it.

Learn to jab and cover up especially if your opponent goes all windmill on you.

You will have big gloves but getting punched in the face hurts.

I hope you have self control

Get someone who knows what they are doing to wrap your hands.

Good luck.

Notter
    Free Member

Make sure you create an appropriate playlist to train to, I can suggest the following to start with:

Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
    Burning Heart – Survivor
    Heart’s on Fire – John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band
    No Easy Way Out – Robert Tepper

And whilst in the ring if you are seeing 3 of your opponent, hit the one in the middle….
    😉

PS – Good luck!!

binners

There is no training that is going to prepare you for it, I’m afraid. Not even close.

You are about to experience a level of physical exhaustion you will not even have got near to before. Its unbelievable how much it takes it out of you. Prepare to be utterly drained.

You will look on pro fighters who can go 12 rounds with almost god like respect, and stare in wonder at the level of fitness they must have

The skipping is good to get your footwork right. It also impresses kids no end, when they got their skipping ropes out, and discovered there was no way on earth they’d be able to do it better than you 😀

jam-bo

bag work is great but they don’t punch back.

you can be the fittest person on the planet but if it all falls apart when someone starts throwing real punches at you its not really worth it.

spar as much as you can. learn your footwork and how to duck and weave. let the other guy wear himself out.

or just go for the windmill approach and hope you land something before he does….

roper
    Free Member

It’s all about the stare down. Practice your psycho eyes in the mirror and watch all of the Rocky films. Job done.

perchypanther
    Free Member

We’re gonna need a montage…

binners

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Mike Tyson

Gunz
    Free Member

just go for the windmill approach

This.

wrecker
    Free Member

bag work is great but they don’t punch back.

I think the OP is just asking for fitness work, I assume all of the technical stuff will be covered by the instructors.

baronsamedi
    Free Member

Get a cool nick name for the ring announcer

Pondo the pummeler or the like

warton
    Free Member

I did quite a bit of boxing in my 20s. nothing prepares you for the pain you will feel. it is unreal.

The main problem is when you are dead on your feet, and being punched, trying to remember how to throw combinations, and defend yourself. that takes years to learn.

so, just go in flailing, you haven’t got a hope of learning any technique in 6 weeks..

BillMC

You might want to get some dietary advice too. It used to be high protein followed by high carbs just before the fight.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Know anyone in an abbitoir?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Personally I’d have suggested spenting the entire day in the local Wetherspoons drinking Stella and Jagerbombs. Pile out of there completely smashed and then follow the Paul Kayne training method.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGL_vNtelrM[/video]

roper
    Free Member

You could learn something from here,
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/?gl=GB#/watch?v=cwKAbkP0F6Q[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

Aim for this….

Accept the fact that six weeks training will get you this….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Learn how to dance; worked for this guy

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXFlC6azI8[/video]

pondo

I think the OP is just asking for fitness work, I assume all of the technical stuff will be covered by the instructors.

Exacto. 🙂 As it happens, I started a boxing class on Monday and the UWCB people will give us two classes a week from now until the fight, so with a bit of luck and a following wind we’ll have at least half a clue what we’re doing (the guy last night said part of the reason for the success of the Birmingham ights is that they’re not just slowly deaccelerating windmilling bouts but decent fights – maybe that’s just blurb), but it was really what’s good to do outside of those classes.

Cheers muchly for all the hints, tips and humour – I know enough to know that I don’t know how hard it’s going to be, if that makes sense. 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

Those two minute rounds will seem to go on forever. Very fast circuit training or squash is more closer to what you’ll experience in the ring. Hopefully you’ll dominate the centre of the ring and your opponent will have to do all the work. Good luck.

Harry_the_Spider

Good luck. A couple of minutes of light contact Karate sparring has me blowing out of my arse. 😀

enfht
    Free Member

“Pondo The Slat Hoofer”

pondo

“Pondo The Slat Hoofer”

We can request a nickname (and ring walk music 🙂 ) and the MC will oblige – being a Harris I was going to go with the traditional Bomber, but I like Slat Hoofer. 🙂

jam-bo

We can request a nickname (and ring walk music ) and the MC will oblige – being a Harris I was going to go with the traditional Bomber, but I like Slat Hoofer.

If you go with Bomber, can you get a set of marzochhi forks to carry in with you?

pondo

Don’t know if they’ll be happy with the actual forks, but I can put an image on the back of my robe. That’ll confuse em. 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

sorry, which bit is Ultra? Your collar, it’s whiteness, or the boxing?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

My younger brother did some boxing training in the forces a few years ago. He was a fit lad at the time and managed to swing a few months of solid training to prepare for it. Regardless of this he didnt ever mention that he hadnt been fit enough (Maybe he was).

What he did say was that the ones that had previous boxing experience stood out a million miles. They didnt waste loads of energy and they didnt get hit as much. My brother basically windmilled the guy and the guy just covered up. Eventually you have to take a rest and then the guy goes to town on your tired body.

If it were me i would heed most of the advice here. Learn to cover up and move. Make the other guy burn out and when you see him tiring, go to town on him as best you can. If you get in the ring with someone who knows what they are doing, then just run about as fast as you can.

Oh, and chase chickens. If you can catch a chicken you will be like grease lightning

DezB
    Free Member

If you get in the ring with someone who knows what they are doing, then just run about as fast as you can

Indeed! I trained with some amateurs years ago – when they hit the pads, it’s so different from the normal blokes… so much more powerful.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I went to photograph a charity match between two local amateur clubs last year, you can see more photos here

[/url]

As someone who had only ever watched the sport on TV, and having no background in it, I noticed a few things.

1. Those guys are physically, the most fit athletes I have ever seen. The amount of training that goes on, even at an amateur level in incredible. Prepare to train like never before.

2. They are quick. Like, REALLY quick. Those punches were landing faster than I would have ever reacted. That can only come from a long, long period of training and practice. Keep those gloves up.

3. Throwing a punch is one thing, taking a punch is another. I came out of there with absolutely no illusion that I am tough. I would have been knocked the **** out within about, ooohh 3 seconds.

Even with gloves and head guards, and this was not even a competition remember, it was a charity night, nobody held back. If you’re a pretender, get used to the taste of canvas.

Good luck

Junkyard
    Free Member

Running around wont really help as its is hard to hit womeone when you ar egoing backwards and they are going forwards

Secondly they will have th emiddle of the ring so you are always moving further than they are

Thirdly i will be very surprised if you footwork is good enough to not get you into trouble trying this you will either move the same way all the time and be predictable or cross your legs as you move. neither are good IME

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘The countdown has begun (Ultra White Collar Boxing content)’ is closed to new replies.