Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The Cough
  • Kryton57

No, not that one but the one that lingers 2-3 weeks with a constant tickly / scratchy throat.

Anyone else got it? I’m on my second round now 3 1/2 weeks of coughing with a few days intermission between the two. If any ones got any magic methods to stop a cough for even a few minutes respite I’m all ears…

13thfloormonk

Almost started a similar thread 2 or 3 weeks back!

Constant dry cough that eventually started to yield a bit of mucus, accompanied by tiredness and maybe a mild hit of fever. Put it down to catching my son’s Bronchitis. Feeling fine now but the cough is lingering, which is apparently normal for Bronchitis.

Our office had an outbreak of COVID though, and it seemed to be a sneaky strain which would test negative for several days before showing positive on the test. Perhaps I had it in the two week window when I had stopped testing

surfer
    Free Member

Yep all got it in our house

scotroutes

Mrs S. Now on day 8 of it. Driving me demented!

Kryton57

I think it’s Bronchitis. Had a massive Asthma attack last night we has prompted me to phone the docs in case I need antibiotics to avoid Pneumonia.

Robotic voice telling my I’m 12th in the queue and counting after 30mins of waiting, not much hope of getting an appointment these days.

iainc

Wife and I have had similar since Covid about 3 weeks back

desperatebicycle

bloody hell! It’s a thing! I thought it was just me! I never have colds lasting more than a day or 2, but this cough has been lingering for 2 weeks now – shit thing is it only effects me at night. Soon as I wake up, the tickle starts and I can’t get back to sleep. Anyone finds out what the hell it is, pleeease post here!

DickBarton

I get this a lot, but apparently I’ve a nasal back drip – my sinusis get blocked and during the night the mucus apparently drips down the back of my throat, leaves a very dry cough in the morning that seems to last a half hour or so. Once my sinusis/nose get unblocked (which seems to take about 3-4 weeks) the cough then disappears, but it does seem to come back very frequently – been to the docs a few times and they give me a nasal spray to help clear my nose and it works but I dislike constantly taking stuff.
    So, might be a viral thing, but might also be that nasal drip thing…

fossy

Yup, all got it here but started with Covid ! Felt rough a few days before eventually testing positive. Felt like a head cold but it’s settled on my lungs, Mornings aren’t fun. Wife still coughing from Covid a month ago.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I had a nagging cough post covid earlier in the year.
    Phoned my Doctor.
    His advice was, the best way to stop the cough was not to cough!

Cue loads of trying to suppress the cough, having water always at hand to lubricate the throat helped.
    But it did seem to work, or it just cleared up on it’s own!

Paul-B

I have this thing too. It’s not so bad in that it affects sleeping etc. but it’s bloody annoying when riding. Don’t have to use a bell when approaching walkers, they can hear me spluttering from a mile away.
    I have notice that over the past few years I’m more susceptible to lingering coughs after I had a particularly nasty virus a few years ago.

BigJohn

I’m part of a clinical trial for RSV. I know it’s a double blind trial but I’m pretty sure I got the real vaccine, not the placebo. I used to get a lingering cough whenever the grandchildren had a bit of a snuffle but now I’m clear.

My riding pal used to have a persistent cough but after a change in blood pressure meds his went away. Some of these meds can cause a post nasal drip. Or it could be lung cancer…

Bunnyhop

A doctor told me that antibiotics won’t work for a cough.

Years ago I caught viral bronchitis, with a cough that lasted for about 3 months. I had great abs though :O)
    Coughing too much nowadays due to working in a dusty environment, this really worries me.
    Steam always seems to do the trick.

desperatebicycle

Steam always seems to do the trick.

Oh, good tip. I forgot that my boss recommended that a while ago. Steam + Vicks Vapour

andybrad

Yup, horrible.

wife and i are screwed atm. antibiotics have done nothing. you have my sympathies with this one. 3 weeks now!

13thfloormonk

Phoned my Doctor.
    His advice was, the best way to stop the cough was not to cough!

I was told the opposite! Especially for Bronchitis or similar, you want to be coughing up as much gunk as possible as this is getting the bacteria out of your system. There are various cough mixtures out there which are expectorants which basically loosen up any gunk that exists making it easier to cough up.

prettygreenparrot

A cough lasting a few weeks? Seems normal for the time of year.

Regular fluids. I suppose one problem is that with more coughing comes more inflammation which can increase the propensity to cough – hence the ‘suppress it’ suggestion? Codeine linctus?

Lasting a lot longer, or with cinema-style blood in a tissue? Could be a problem.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cough/

and

https://northeast.devonformularyguidance.nhs.uk/referral-guidance/eastern-locality/respiratory—eastern-locality/persistent-cough-in-adults

tpbiker
    Free Member

If there is blood it’s an issue however if you’ve been coughing a lot and occasionally there is a bit of blood then that’s most probably down to damaging your lungs due to the coughing itself

I had this years ago, absolutely shat myself but apparently it’s not uncommon to see blood after heavy coughing fits

tonyd

I had something similar sounding a month or so ago, nurse practitioner at our surgery checked my ears, nose, and throat and said my sinuses were a bit red. She prescribed me a nasal spray of some kind (steroid) which I had to use for 3 weeks regardless if I thought it had cleared up. It stopped after about 2 weeks and has been gone since.

FB-ATB

A few years ago I had a cough for over a month- finally went to GP who said it’s bronchitis. She said if a cough lasts longer than 2-3 weeks get it checked.

BenjiM

Coughing too much nowadays due to working in a dusty environment, this really worries me.

Surely you’re employer should be providing sufficient PPE or reducing the risk if a risk assessment has been carried out.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Well over a month in with it here; it’s pretty miserable. It catches right on my gag reflex most of the time so it comes with some pretty violent coughing and retching which is super-sexy.

Lost my voice for a couple of days with it too – it’s a bugger.

desperatebicycle

Surely your employer should be providing sufficient PPE or reducing the risk if a risk assessment has been carried out.

self-employed, probably

dyna-ti

Whenever I get any sort of itchy/scratching throat thing developing, I reach for the Navy Rum.

I’ve a small special tumbler – 1/8 pint. 2 of those and gargle the first one.

I can’t say if it clears the problem, but after two i seem more forgetful about it. So I think it must help.

Kryton57

IANAD so proceed with caution but yesterday I was recommended Benylin Mucus Cough Max (max Guaifenesin) plus Ibroprofen to reduce inflammation in the Bronocholia as a heavyweight assist – and its worked a treat. Cough is very much suppressed.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for this – MrsMC had a really sore throat last week, now has an awful hacking cough, especially at night. Testing negative for Covid, but just not able to shift it.

Kryton57

Thanks for this

Also keep drinking – that and Gusifenesin is all about breaking down the mucus in the airway which causes the hacking cough… so I’m told.

GHill

A doctor told me that antibiotics won’t work for a cough.

Antibiotics are for a bacterial infection, they don’t work against viruses.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ve had a chest infection for the month leading up to my covid booster.
    A proper bacterial number. I could tell from the way my lungs were feeling like someone had tried to gently press their thumbs into the gaps between the sides of my ribs.

I’m recovering. For all the masses of gunk, when it climbed up my lungs, it just became a tickly cough. Very annoying.

It really hammered home the importance of maintaining my fluid levels.

MoreCashThanDash

The subject of The Cough came up at work today. Anecdotally, half a dozen people seem to have had it after getting the flu jab. Over 50s or clinically vulnerable.

I mentioned it to MrsMC, who checked her diary and her cough came on a couple if days after getting her flu jab.

Could be entirely coincidental, correlation isn’t causation, just thought it was worth a mention.

Kryton57

Hmmm, Flu jab 11th October, 3 weeks of cough, ok 1st week November, 3 weeks of cough again… Yet, Jnr 13yo has it along the same timeline, first time after me, this time slightly before so I assume we are passing it back and forth.

MoreCashThanDash

That stops that theory then, neither MrsMC nor the folk at work have passed it on to anyone

leegee

Kryton, thanks for the iboprofen tip, it’s worked for me.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Flu jab here a couple of weeks ago.No cough at all,just a slightly thrombin arm and the odd shooting pains in my toes!Perhaps,doing the hundred day exercise challenge helps.💪

Cougar

#metoo

I’ve not been well for a few days. I had a 48-hour ‘both ends’ stomach bug and then came down with a cold. But I’ve also had a scratchy throat / dry cough, feels like a hair stuck in the back of my throat at nights.

But I’m a martyr to sinus issues anyway. I often have a clagged-up throat to a point of triggering my gag reflex and making me sick, then when I am sick it’s mostly phlegm I’m vomming. And of course, that irritates my throat and so round and around we go.

I was persuaded by an American friend a few years ago to get a sinus rinse (she called it a Neti Pot but it’s not really). I was deeply sceptical and honestly, I only bought one in the end to shut her up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RDZFZ0/

Honestly, it’s brilliant. I dug it out in desperation last week as a combination all of the above meant I was struggling to eat. I was chowing through a cocktail of Oemeprazol, Gaviscon, Pepto-Bismol and Lemsip to try and get it under control. It felt like I’d drunk a bottle of Copydex and I sounded like Darth Vader on coke.

One session with the rinse, draining through the mouth (there’s a knack to this), and I immediately felt better than I had in days. Not just for a few minutes either, it got me through the rest of the cold and (hey look, the original topic!) got rid of that annoying throat-scratch dry cough.

Kryton57

FFS. Jnr had it for the 3rd time last week, now my youngest has it, and now I have it again.

I just want to stop bloody coughing aaargh!!! 8 weeks so far (with gaps of OK).

wooksterbo

Son has had it for a while, other half then got it. Ive had the cough for 9 days so far. It started with a headache and feeling sick for half a day, headache continued for about 3 days and then the cough started.
    Don’t mind it too much apart from it stopping me getting to sleep.

I did do a test as did other half but were negative. Also no fever.

tenfoot

Lasts for weeks you say? ☹️ I’ve had a dry/tickly cough come on today. Trying not to think about it, to help suppress it, although this thread hasn’t helped.

I’ve gone for the big guns right from the off, by necking some Night Nurse, hoping this will help tonight.

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC has still got the cough, but not past it on, strangely.

Kryton57

Mine developed badly. As if hit by a sledgehammer I went down hill rapidly yesterday.

Current lying in bed with everything hurting including hair and teeth. Junior x 2 seem out the other side but still coughing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.