Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • The Commonwealth Games – A catch all thread about the sport
  • bruk

We were sat in the stand and Andy Burns the bronze medalist ( pictured above) came up and sat in front of us to chat to some of his supporters. Got a good look at the medal, looked lovely.

Owen Livesey who won Gold the night before also popped up too.

Great night, looks like you had great seats trailofdestruction.

Agree re organisation, Clydesiders were just as cheery as the Gamesmakers from London ( if a wee bit harder to understand if like my 2 mates I dragged up who had never been to Scotland before).

Drove up as time was tight and parked up where I used to live and walked in. Great atmosphere even in the streets.

MoreCashThanDash

Great afternoon in the stadium for the athletics today. Wife and daughter off to gymnastics tomorrow afternoon.

sputnik
    Free Member

Springbok 7s team GOLD!!

mt
    Free Member

That Rebecca Addlington is ace. She really gets it across how great it is for the swimmers to do well.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I was watching the swimming last night and they had a para event medley in which there was one swimmer with two arms and two legs up against amputees, two of which had only one arm each.

Funnily enough the guy with all the limbs won….easily!

eckinspain
    Free Member

Cross Country mountain biking today

jekkyl

Mountain biking on today, womens at 11.30 and the men’s at 2. Wonder where the venue is?

eckinspain
    Free Member

I’m watching the netball (as you do on a quiet Tuesday morning) and the England ladies have what looks like a spine protector or maybe some sort of tracker (or maybe an aerial because they are remote-controlled cyborgs). Anyone know what it is?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Gotta love wrestling:

mt
    Free Member

Please explain that picture, where is that guys head?

Dolcered

Was at the athletics early session yesterday, loved every second. The crowd got behind every competitor. Have to say the organisation was brilliant, everything ran smoothly. Feared the worst as we joined a massive line snaking from Mount Florida train station to Hampden, but it all kept moving forward, even the airport security checks didn’t cause a massive bottleneck.

Afterwards we headed to George square and onto the festival in the Merchant city, have to say hats off to Glasgow, I think they have more than pulled this one off.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Wot no Emily Batty?

EDIT: She IS there!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Is the Mountain Biking on telly? Can’t seem to find it!

EDIT: just found some on BBC iplayer 🙂

jekkyl

Press the red button on BBC 1, then live events, then scroll along to ‘cross country finals’
    The course looks great fun, I want a shot.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Batty in 4th, battling for Bronze!

lemonysam
    Free Member

The course looks great fun, I want a shot.

Not wrong there!

jekkyl

Without fail it looks like every rider is using 29″ wheels.

llama

god xc racing makes for dull tv

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good to see Mountain Biking taking lead on the BBC homepage!

mt
    Free Member
    Rockape63
    Free Member

Well that was an impressive spurt from the Kiwi, but very disappointing that we had no Brits vying for the lead. Three Anti Pods blew us away!

mt
    Free Member

Bis land cycles on the telly just now. Games has been good for them, deserve it as well.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Bis land cycles on the telly just now. Games has been good for them, deserve it as well.

Great to see them getting the plaudits for it, he seemed a bit taken aback at the fuss. Good job too by the club riders taking the teams out to how them the roads.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Anyone seen a start list for the Road race and TT? Would be interesting to see which big guns are riding. I assume Millar, Dowsett, Thomas, Rowe and Kennaugh are all riding? What about the Australians? Renshaw? Gerrans?

Rockape63
    Free Member

By the way, has anyone noticed that all pool side interviews being conducted by Sharon Davies have been of the back of her head only? I reckon its due to the fact that she has so fcuked up her face, it would put off the viewers!

surfer
    Free Member

😯

Put it this way I wouldn’t climb over her to get to you!

matt_outandabout

Edit.

I have some nice athletics pics uploading

llama

Met Sharon Davies a while back and she is not very natural looking

anyway

I’d like to see Millar win it

I’ve no idea why Wiggo is not doing it (yes I heard the interviews, still don’t understand it) as he would walk away with it, unless he’s been on the vodka tonic for the last month.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah the commentary has started online. Good to see they’ve got Boardman behind the mic. Hopefully be an improvement on the XC commentary.

By the way, what’s the story with Wiggins?

Rockape63
    Free Member
    lemonysam
    Free Member

Good to see so many african nations getting involved in the time trial. It’s got to be the way to bring more developing nations into road cycling.

Also, Sharon Davies seems to be slowly morphing into one of the evil apes from Congo.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Looks like it’s Dowsett, Dennis or Gee for the TT with Dowsett edging it at the moment.

edit: Dennis is flying…

mrblobby
    Free Member

What a ride by Gee. Impressive if he can beat Dowsett off the back of the Tour as well.

llama

By the way, what’s the story with Wiggins?

Once upon a time there was a boy called Bradley. Bradley liked riding his bike and was very good at it. He found that he was the best boy at riding round in circles, even when he didn’t practice as much as the other boys!

One day he decided he’d had enough of riding around in circles, so decided to ride up and down big hills instead. He had to practice really hard for a long long time because lots of the other boys were very good at it. After practicing for ages his friends Chris and David helped him to be the best boy at it.

Then he was the most famous and best dressed boy in all of England and even got to meet the Queen!

But Bradley was sad because he never got to see his other friends and have fun any more. Then his friend David told him that he liked Chris the best now, which made Bradley even more sad.

Bradley was so sad he decided to stop riding up and down hills, and go back to riding round in circles again. “That will show David”, he thought, and he knew that going round in circles did not need as much practicing.

the end

lemonysam
    Free Member

So, it’s down to Dennis vs Dowsett, Dennis 4 seconds up at the last split.
    edit: Bosh! Have that!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooof where did he find that from?! Impressive stuff.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice!

Great effort from Geraint after the tour as well. 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Alex Dowsett –
    “Nobody wanted that more than I did, after the disappointment of not being picked for the Tour de France and the silver in Delhi in 2010.

“I’ve been angry all this month, ever since I was a kid I have pulled something out of the bag when I have been really angry. It’s pretty special that.”

Geraint Thomas –
    “I was bit unsure what to expect in terms of my fitness. I just felt strong. I didn’t felt fresh or zippy as such but felt I could just smash it.

“Before the next time trial I do I’m going to send Alex Dowsett some flowers. Make sure he is happy, and maybe we will have a chat.”

Love it!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Great effort from Geraint after the tour as well.

What??….he’d be in the best shape of his life after those 3 weeks!

mrblobby
    Free Member

He looked done in at the end of the Tour. Can’t remember where he finished in the last TT, but I think Tuft beat him, who he beat today. Recovered well.

Love the quote above though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘The Commonwealth Games – A catch all thread about the sport’ is closed to new replies.