Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • The Commonwealth Games – A catch all thread about the sport
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

What’s everyone looking forward to then? What have you got tickets to? Who’s going to end up as Scotland’s poster boy/girl of the games?

I’m going to be up to see some Tron Squash and watch the road races next weekend. Looking forward to it, it’s been ages since I’ve been to Glasgow – and that was for a wedding so didn’t get much time in the city.

Womens Triathlon on in the background for me now, brutal as ever but the city’s looking great and Lucy Hall’s tried (and failed) to time trial off the front of the pack so there’s a bit of fight on the bike leg.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good crowds too! Onto the Run with Stimpson up the front.

MoreCashThanDash

Athletics Sunday, gymnastics on Monday. Long drive up on Saturday!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It is looking good out there, though if I was offering one bit of advice about driving to Glasgow it would be take the train 🙂 Scenic and much easier through the Really fin dull bit.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Scottish 1-2-3 in the semis of the Mens 200m backstroke. First Games Record too. Not a bad start!

Sweetland and Stimpson stretching things on the run in the tri. This is making me wish I was sat in the park watching rather than waiting around in a stuffy office for meetings to finish.

I’m jealous of the athletics, many finals?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Blimey. Kirsten Sweet land is amazing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So spoilers then 😉 2 Medals for England to start.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No more spoilers

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ahhh… I thought spoilers were implicit in the thread title. If a mod wanted to make it clearer for the hard of thinking… Great effort by Stimpson and Holland. Sadly I missed the end due to having to actually work.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Got tickets for the mountain biking, and badminton quarter finals, and I’ll probably take a wander out to see the road race and time trial too.

lemonysam
    Free Member

And the Mens Splash, Crash and Dash is underway. Another English double?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Has anyone else noticed how immensely strong the England women’s road race squad is? Armitstead, Barnes, Garner, King, Pooley, Rowsell and Trott.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Has anyone else noticed how immensely strong the England women’s road race squad is?

The mens is fairly handy too. Should be a good day!

2tyred

Was at the velodrome for this morning’s session, was brilliant.

Para-cycling tandem match sprints – insane! So exciting.

Pedalled back to work in the sun afterwards, fantastic atmosphere throughout the city. Be great if the weather kept up.

Off to watch badminton on Saturday, aiming to see some of the marathon on Sunday, will try my utmost to slope off from work on Tuesday for the MTB, TT goes near where I live next Thursday so will be out watching that, then the big RR jamboree next Sunday.

Intae it!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Was at the velodrome for this morning’s session, was brilliant.

I bet that’s pretty warm today?

Anyone got any suggestions for where to watch the road races?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I love training and racing Triathlon….

But my god it’s dull to watch*

*except for checking out thier swimming technique

2tyred

Warmer outside today – not often you can say that!

Last year’s national RR on the same course was brilliant because so many roads round the city centre were closed, so me and my eldest just rode round all over, meeting friends and stopping at various places.

St Vincent St (a long uphill drag) was good, the corner of Blythswood Sq, Montrose St (steep climb), Park Circus were all great. Didn’t go as far out as Byres road but apparently the atmosphere there going up Great George St was immense. Finish straight at the Green was packed but excellent; however a mate and his family were at the playpark next to the Templeton building just along from the Peoples’ Palace and realised that was a great place to be as it was a quiet spot with few barriers and a tight corner so they had some amazing pictures. Definitely planning to head out there at some point during the day.

Well worth watching from multiple places, the men do 13 laps I think.

lemonysam
    Free Member

That sounds ideal, and anywhere in particular for on route refreshments?

johndoh
    Free Member

Ouch, that was too easy.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Scottish 1-2 in the pool, good stuff!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh dear, a second Welsh athlete’s been popped for doping violations:

Team Wales 400m hurdler Rhys Williams is out of the Commonwealth Games after being charged with an anti-doping violation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28479246

2tyred

Stunning ride earlier by Katie Archibald in the 3k pursuit, 3rd fastest in qualifying. She’ll be racing for bronze at 4.55 today. Brilliant stuff!

Also a great ride earlier by young Mark Stewart in the 4k pursuit, missed out on finals but fast enough for 11th in qualifying. Excellent young rider with a very bright future.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Sort of sums it up…. Only 23 posts so far! Still at least no one has said anything unkind about Becky Adlington!

bencooper
    Free Member

Off to the mountain biking with my daughter next week, and a friend has been competing in the gymnastics – apart from that I haven’t really been paying attention.

bruk

Got some tickets for the Judo finals tomorrow night. Bit of a flying visit back north as wife is working the weekend and so can’t stay for a few pints and reminiscing in a few old haunts 🙁

Should be good and want Euan Burton to clean up after his mixed fortunes in London.
    Been pretty good so far.

iainc

Rugby in the morning, atmosphere locally is quite superb !

chewkw
    Free Member

I want to watch these:
    Squash,
    lawn bowling,
    badminton,
    kabbadi,
    Sepak takraw,
    hockey,
    basketball and netball.

chewkw
    Free Member

Is there a mixed tandem race with the guy seated at the back while the girl at the front? 😯

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve got a ticket for the mountain biking on tuesday and have been watching a lot of the other sports. The Scots performing well in the pool has been great, the boxing’s been fun too. Even watched the team triathlon this morning.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member
    Sort of sums it up…. Only 23 posts so far!

aye, suns been out in glasgow, and most of us have been out enjoying the weather and soaking up the atmosphere! 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Excellent Scottish “little and large” tandem riding there … 😆

NZCol

That tandem race was epic. Really enjoying the coverage. Love to see people achieving their goals.

iainc

Just home from a day at the rugby 7’s – atmosphere was brill

chewkw
    Free Member

NZCol – Member

That tandem race was epic. Really enjoying the coverage. Love to see people achieving their goals.

There should be more tandem races with 3 or four riders on a bike to make it more interesting.

Yes, I enjoy the tandem racing more than the individual events.

:mrgreen:

chewkw
    Free Member

Excellent Scottish tandem !

😀

cuckoo
    Free Member

Been watching bits and bobs up to now. Enjoyed the triathlons and swimming so far.

Good to see the locals out supporting the events and I’ve even been doing my bit to support the games by sitting here stuffing my face with Tunnock’s (first packet I’ve bought in about 10 years) 🙂

bruk

Got back at 1 in the morning after leaving at 1 in the afternoon. But fantastic time in Glasgow, great atmosphere in the SECC and saw some great Judo.

Shame Matt Purssey couldn’t quite defeat the SA athlete or it would have been a clean sweep of the Golds for the home nations.

Highlight was definitely watching Euan Burton get his a gold and singing Flower of Scotland 3 times for three golds.

bearnecessities

Well done Trott 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Also went to see the Judo last night at the SECC. Had a fantastic night.

Overall impressions from being there, a superb job, well done Glasgow. Everyone was really friendly, everything was well organised and thought out, transport links worked flawlessly, and even the rain held off until we got inside. The SECC was also officially the most secure building in Scotland, as the Gurkhas and Royal Marine Commandos were providing security back up duties. 😯 Nobody dared misbehave.

Highlight of the weekend was watching the confused face of my missus as she tried to translate Glaswegian, when asking directions from a bus driver 😆 😆

Shame we only got the one set of tickets, would’ve loved to have seen more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘The Commonwealth Games – A catch all thread about the sport’ is closed to new replies.