Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • "The Chimp Paradox"- read it?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

I know its been out for ages and was on everyone’s lips, but I’m a late adopter and don’t really buy into self-help.

However…..I’m currently only about 25% of the way through this tome and so far I’ve found it insightful and potentially maybe even life-changing? I’d had a lot of personal “things” building up, and its given me a lot of insight into how my mind works….and why I’m so emotional.

In truth, I feel better now than I have in ages, and its largely down to this book.

Am I deluding myself? Anyone else read it and benefited- or not?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Is that the Stephen Peters book, funny that cuase he was giving a lecture at Stirling Yooni last night. What’s it about then?

core

What’s so good about it then? I definitely have most of the traits it claims to be able to address……..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Clobber
    Free Member
    codybrennan
    Free Member

Thats the one.

Its essentially about how the mind works, based on what I believe is solid research, and presented in a very clear, memorable way.

Coupled with this is how to, I guess, “reprogram” yourself to get rid of traits you don’t like and instil better ones.

Like I said, I don’t follow self-help but this is written by an actual psychologist and has had measurable benefits for people I’ve actually heard of. And I feel better after only reading the first 5 chapters and doing some of the “exercises”.

I think I’m probably close to recommending it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are we living in 1994 all over again?

Self Help books like this have been hacking the bookshelves since Tony Robbins first kicked out NLP in a devisive format..

Still, I’ll read it, quite like stuff like this..

I don’t need a reprogram perse’ more a reboot. 😆

Grizla
    Free Member

I could have written that self same OP.

I bought it a couple of years back and gave up after a few pages because I thought it was a bit patronising (overly simplistic, lots of pointless pictures etc.) but after reading O’Sullivan’s recent book I gave it another go. I reckon I got quite a bit from it, and certainly feel happier, calmer, more in control. Will give it another read in a couple of months, just so that it will hopefully stick.

Recommended it to one mate whom I thought might get something from it. He was pretty dismissive and I was a little embarrassed so I didn’t really push it. I’m not really into “self-help” either, so I don’t blame him.

brooess
    Free Member

Worth reading the 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon…
    Tony Robbins stuff is v good IMO

codybrennan
    Free Member

bb- I don’t ever read these things (apart from this) so can’t comment.

What can I say? I like it and its helping me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tried to read it a few times, but found it disappointing each time. Might try one more time before deleting it from my kindle.

slowjo
    Free Member

Kindles…the 650b of the reading world 😈 😉

MSP

I have tried, but just find the general metaphor too patronising. I am sure there is stuff in there I could, even should, benefit from, but the presentation of the concept is flawed and far too simplistic.

olddog

I’ve read it. I thought it was an interesting take on how to deal with stressful situations – basically by understanding how we react to stressful stimuli and how to develop effective coping strategies in advance. Also, the stuff on daily review of personal responses to allow building of strategies I think is useful.

I thought the whole chimp, human, computer thing is a way of conceptualising something difficult in a simple way rather than explanatory of brain function. Doesn’t mean its not useful.

In different context (behavioural economics) I’ve read stuff on risk perception and there does seem to be good evidence that primitive survival traits kick in response to perceived risk (and we have real problems with accurate risk perception) which are not usually helpful in a modern developed world situation.

The best thing I find is read loads of this stuff and draw from it what makes sense to me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP, well put.

Slowjo, yes but they make commutes come alive!!!

Kryton57

Surely MSP, you’d be aligned closely with the content? 😉

I’m reading it a second time. TBH the first time around I read it, it made sense, then I didnt put it into action. In between I read “The Power of Now” (still not finished) as recommended on here. Now that I’ve digested the Chimp properly (metaphorically speaking of course), putting the two together has helped me:

a) Identify when my responses are emotional or Fight/Flight
    b) Focus specifically on what I’m doing now and not be distracted by menial things
    c) Value time, specifically time not spent on phones, ipads and forums.

All in all my angst and paranoic traits have reduced quite a bit, summarised by this:

In different context (behavioural economics) I’ve read stuff on risk perception and there does seem to be good evidence that primitive survival traits kick in response to perceived risk (and we have real problems with accurate risk perception) which are not usually helpful in a modern developed world situation.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I think I’ve got an outer chimp, will the book help me tame that ?

Kryton57

centralscrutinizer – Member
    I think I’ve got an outer chimp, will the book help me tame that

You need this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/constant-arguing

😀

Grizla
    Free Member

Just read a few of the one star amazon reviews.

I can’t help finding it ironic that most of those that don’t like it feel insulted by the simplistic style of it. According to my understanding of the book this would be a typical “chimp” reaction.

It is pretty patronising though. I assumed it was deliberately written in a style that would make it accessible to anyone.

slowclimb
    Free Member

I read it about a year ago,….
    I am the last person in the world who would normally read such a thing but pathetically I was totally sold by the whole British Cycling/Sky Procycling/ Dave Brailsford connection.
    Surprisingly I found it really good, it is a bit touchy feely for me in parts but overall it is good. The actual over reacting fast acting chimp analogy is a good one and I found that it was something I realised I was really, really bad for.
    To the extent that this morning I re-read a definitely ill advised email I wrote earlier after having made myself take 30 minutes and a cup of coffee, then re-wrote it so I came across as at least a bit less of a ranting maniac 🙂
    Dont get me wrong I’m still a grumpy middle aged, bike, guitar, coffee, IPA obsessed pain in the ar*e but hopefully slightly less likely to fly off the handle because the coffee grinder is on the blink now 🙂
    I think for a few £££ its worth a read anyway.

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve read most of it. As far as i got, it seemed quite influenced by Freud, albeit updated to 21st century metaphors and without all the oedipal crap (the chimp is definitely the id). I can see how the model could be useful but I have my doubts about how much effect comes from reading a book. I’d guess real benefits come from working with someone as a therapist who pushes you through the exercises.

As a sidebar, I see Steve Peters is described above as “an actual psychologist”. He’s not, he’s a psychiatrist. might not seem important but there are huge differences in the training and (often) the approach they take.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I can’t help finding it ironic that most of those that don’t like it feel insulted by the simplistic style of it. According to my understanding of the book this would be a typical “chimp” reaction.

…or alternatively and example of higher critical faculties / low BS tolerance. Who knows?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sorry MrNice, you’re quite correct to point out that he’s a psychiatrist- my mistake.

Macavity
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

As with all these self help books the only person they really benefit is the author taking in the cash from sales.

konabunny
    Free Member

In between I read “The Power of Now” (still not finished)

Would you like to buy my copy of “The Power of Sometime Soon”? 5 quid Paypal gift. Pics to follow.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘"The Chimp Paradox"- read it?’ is closed to new replies.