The cheap Amazon Fire tablet…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The cheap Amazon Fire tablet…
  • Is it any good as a device just for playing Spotify through (for shop music) and managing Facebook?

My MD wants a device that the staff at a shop he owns can use for the above – he doesn’t want to spend a fortune as it’s likely to be abused and be broken.

Premier Icon sneakyg4

I have the 10inch version, its been a solid performer for the cash, plastic backed, but still pretty robust.

The only downside has been that it is locked to the amazon app store rather than google, but I imagine that can be fixed if you can be bothered.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Two 7 inch cheapos in this house used by the kids.  Faultless.  And when you consider the price, even better.

Not being allowed on Google Play has not been an issue for us.  It’s pretty permissive – both Netflix and iPlayer are available despite being direct competitors with Amazon’s own service.

I’d recommend Amazon’s own cases, they are superb for protection and robustness, I don’t think any saving from a third party case is going to be worth it in the long run.

Murray

Two 7 inch cheapos in this house used by the kids.

Same here. Both have Google Play store loaded too – pretty easy to do. Good quality and they’ve not managed to break them yet (unlike mobile phones, sigh)

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

For kids, we have fire unlimited for kids, which gives you what looks like most of the decent games but without crap ads, nag-ware and constant exhortations to buy stuff.  Good riddance to the play store as far as kids games are concerned.

Thanks folks – looks like it would do the job.

As I say It’s only for Spotify and Facebook (for posting work related stuff) – don’t think my MD would want them playing games on work time! 🙂

dooosuk

Two 7 inch cheapos in this house used by the kids.  Faultless.  And when you consider the price, even better.

I rooted and installed a stock android version on our two. Been brilliantly and even though the youngest has cracked the screen on theirs throwing it, it still works faultlessly.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I don’t see any advantage to rooting in our household.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Poor Mrs Grips.

What molgrips said. The first post, anyway. Maybe the second one, they’re fans of the al fresco approach, who knows.

Tablets are pretty good for the money, too. The Amazon ‘child friendly’ rubberised case is drop-proof. As tested by our sprogs a few times.

Less relevant, but, the Fire for Kids service is £2/month well spent. Presents lots of suitable stuff with very little crud.

I have one. It is solid. Can adequately do what you mentioned above with no problems.

eddiebaby

Not as good as my iPad Mini for many things but my 7″ Fire gets used as a Kindle and used in the workshop when I’m following youtube guides to taking stuff apart. At £29 I don’t worry about scratching it. Oh and it has a 64Gb memory card for shitloads of music, the iPad only has 32Gb in total.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The cheap Amazon Fire tablet…’ is closed to new replies.