• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The Chain reaction/rose bikes of electrical good please.
  • duckman

New house = new telly box and surround sound set up. Any good suggestions for saving some money on the above other than richer sounds?

GolfChick
    Free Member

John Lewis price match anybody that does the same deal as them ie. include warranty into the deal. Their warranty and customer service is supposedly second to none and sometimes worth paying a bit more further down the line if you have any problems.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t beat John Lewis here either. Every time there’s a major purchase like this, we inevitably end up buying from them too. Their warranty is excellent and I like the no quibbles policy when it comes to any problems. Added to that is the fact that they give quite a chunk of their profits back to the people who work there (yeah, yeah, apart from the cleaners and some other contracted staff before it all gets political).

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve tested the JL warranty, laptop died just 5 days(!) before the expiry of the 2 year warranty. JL had the logic board and HDD replaced without fuss, no questions asked.

duckman

Damn you STW for agreeing with the practical suggestion of my wife!
    😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, she’s right! As DD et al say above, there’s really no reason NOT to shop at John Lewis for anything electrical. Superb service, excellent warranty and back up and a good company to boot.

DezB
    Free Member

John Lewis fans, (I’m not against them!) explain me this:

I am planning to purchase a Denon hi-fi device thingy –

Peter Tyson

John Lewis

BIG difference!

Jamie
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Ha! And I should buy it from John Lewis?

phead
    Free Member

You should price match JL against richer sounds, and buy it from whoever you want. RS has the longer warranty.

peteimpreza

John Lewis will price match Dezb.

“Superb service, excellent warranty and back up and a good company to boot.”

http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersold-policy

DezB
    Free Member

So they try to rip you off with inflated prices, but that’s ok, cos if you do price-match they will come down?
    I don’t like that, personally.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also, you have to piss about waiting for them to price match. When you could just buy from Richer Sounds.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Suspect that Denon might be an older model/dropping in price given the massive difference.

What’s the benefit of that denon thingy then? DNLA has a horrible interface for music whenever I’ve tried to use it. It does Airplay but so does an Apple TV for <£100. It has a radio built in (good) but not DAB (bad).

Asking as I sold my Squeezeboxes and thinking about replacements for later this year. So far just been using Airplay on an Apple TV from phone and iPad and hard to fault it.

[edit]

the RS reviews seem to confirm my expectations. Old model, hence discounted. Connection flaky, display poor, interface difficult to use, ipad app terrible. Good for Airplay but lots of other ways to do that.

andyfla
    Free Member

One to look at is costco- they do a 5 year warranty as standard on all electricals (2 years on mobiles and computers)

they generally only stock a limited range but generally fairly good price wise

DezB
    Free Member

thanks for the digression 🙂

What’s the benefit of that denon thingy then?

Well, I want something that sits with my Hi-fi, that I can plug my iPod into, or stream off my laptop. Not bothered about DAB cos all the stations are crap.
    Can’t find anything else decent looking for the money, so am open to considerations.

([edit]budget is very limited due to house purchase!)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Well, I want something that sits with my Hi-fi, that I can plug my iPod into, or stream off my laptop.

If you’re on a budget it’s hard to get cheaper than simple cable. If an Airport/Apple TV works for you it can be hidden so you won’t see it at all. That Denon thing looks like an expensive way to do a few things badly.

Not bothered about DAB cos all the stations are crap.

Each to their own but I’d not be without 6Music now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So they try to rip you off with inflated prices, but that’s ok, cos if you do price-match they will come down?

From what I see, they say “never knowingly undersold” so if you can find it cheaper, and they can match the price, they will. I don’t begrudge them trying to make a profit – and just because they’re charging more than another company, it doesn’t mean they’re trying to rip you off. I guess some companies will flog some of their stock at a loss in order to generate cashflow or get customers through their door/portal. The legwork is even easier for the customer now as you just have to show them a screen with the price. They even do free wifi in their stores to make this even easier again 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Bought a drag along dyson vacuum cleaner recently. Co-op ended up £100 (after we found a £20 voucher thingy) cheaper than JL with free next day delivery. Seemed the best option.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d not be without 6Music now

Tried it, wanted to like it, but its like the Evening Show from the 90s on repeat. I want NEW music.
    (but I digress, again)

You want to know what the last straw was? Gave it another try and there was the big long feature on a band from the 90s reforming, including an interview with one of the band… who was that band..? Bros. Yes, Bros ffs. Sod right off.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The Chain reaction/rose bikes of electrical good please.’ is closed to new replies.