Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • The Call Centre – BBC3
  • bearnecessities

Go on, lose an hour of your life 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bearnecessities – STW
    Go on, lose an hour of your life

😉

Drac

I seen the trailers for it, looks far too annoying I’d hate to work in a place like that.

samuri
    Free Member

Whose call centre is it?

bearnecessities

I seen the trailers for it, looks far too annoying I’d hate to work in a place like that.

I watched an episode a few week back – (sounds like I wath a lot of telly now!).

It was mush, but actually quite heartening to see a workplace where people were enjoying themselves.

…but ultimately mush 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Aah, got it. It’s one that breaks the law.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22946358

tomhoward

Wonder if they’ll mention the 225k they had to pay in fines for nuisance calls?

Edit. Beaten to it!

bearnecessities

Aah, got it. It’s one that breaks the law.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22946358

Oh heck…

There’s an interesting analysis of 18th century porcelain on BBC4? 😳

piemonster

bearnecessities – Member

Right, get the sod off my Christmas card list 👿

piemonster

There’s a guy on Film4 who’s gonna hack his arm off with a pen knife

bearnecessities

Right, get the sod off my Christmas card list

Like I was ever on it.

*sobs uncontrollably into Marmite on toast (thinly spread)*

binners

Thats inspired! I’m organising a dance competition in the office tomorrow

piemonster

😆

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Her dad owns a brewery…..

Man I am so there!!!!

binners

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!!!! 😯

Philby

Quite like the attitude of Nev, the boss, a complete antidote to angry, bullying tossers like Alan Sugar.

binners

Absolutely! He seems to actually genuinely care if his staff are happy. I’ve worked in plenty places where the bosses couldn’t give a toss if every single staff member was depressed to the point of being suicidal!

maccruiskeen

There’s a guy on Film4 who’s gonna hack his arm off with a pen knife

Is he watching the Apprentice? I think I know how he feels.

stevestunts
    Free Member

My wife was watching this when I returned home from walking the dog. I genuinely thought it was a mockumentary that BBC3 had commissioned, hoping that their target audience had never seen The Office.

Until I read this thread I didn’t know it was actually real…

just5minutes
    Free Member

It came in second on the Sunday Times best places to work list for this year – ahead of the likes of BMW. Great result for a small company and that Nev guy is a real character – the energy level and engagement in the weekly “s**t sandwich” meeting made a refreshing change from the usual dull corporate “town hall” meetings.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind working there, looks like quite a laugh. get on the tea trolley with that nutter! The “team leaders” look like right arrogant c***s though. I’d be the worst telesales person ever though.

“Hi.. Do you need some unnessecary shit?… No, ok then,sorry – feel a bit guily for bothering you actually, Byeee!”

and I’d pester the **** out of Nev
    “HI Nev, I’m skint, sub us £20 quid for some beer, cheers Nev..matey matey Nev *big hug* you’re my mate aren’t you Nev?!” Totally reverse that matey bollocks on him! Good luck to those lot that are fecked off with it and don’t take disciplinaries seriously lol! How can you care much about a job like that?

That Sunday Times list is a load of corporate cack BTW.

duckman

A call centre is the worst place I ever worked. The team leaders in the one I worked in were thick, power hungry scum. Example,I come back from break to find my seat missing. Told by team leader that he didn’t need to stand while “a monkey like me” sat down.

convert

The irony of a programme making “lovable” characters out of the owner and workers at a cold call centre – universally hated by the vast majority of the UK populous. Lets all have a good laugh as we watch a bunch of nobbers break the law and illegally phone people who have specifically expressed that they don’t want disturbing or ringing little old ladies and harassing them into a product or service they don’t need and can’t afford – what fun. I wonder how many people have got a cold call from them whilst watching the programme and told them to go swivel. And I wonder if they made the connection as they giggled at the programme after putting the phone down.

Bregante

That’s it. Next time I get cold called by a welsh telesalesist I’m going to ask them to put Nev on so he can try to sell me some useless shit I don’t want.

boblo
    Free Member

Man I am so there!!!!

Is this in English?

ampthill

We don’t get calls from Nev 😕 . We opted out

I really like the programme and find Nev refreshing

Intresting to see how next wek goes. Looks like he is going to get heavy

FuzzyWuzzy

Lol that bit with reading the hymn for the competition and the girl asking if it was in Welsh as she didn’t understand the words, comedy gold. Not that I watch it or anything…

llama

+1 thought it was a mockumentry

it is isn’t it?

binners

You’re bang on convert! I bet those people in that call centre are absolutely snowed under with glamorous and fulfilling alternative career opportunities. With unemployment being non-existent in Wales. But they just love annoying people, cos its a laugh! 🙄

Dark-Side

The irony of a programme making “lovable” characters out of the owner and workers at a cold call centre – universally hated by the vast majority of the UK populous.

60% of the time, it works every time. 😉

I’d find it hard to hate someone on the basis they would rather work in a call centre, receiving abuse constantly for a relatively low salary than go on the dole. As Binners said, do you honestly think they turned down a career in teaching because trying to sell PPI claims is the better career option? I get quite a few cold calls for products I don’t want and they usually call just as the kids are falling asleep! A polite but firm No Thanks is the best method of dealing with them. Hating on them and calling them names doesn’t help anyone.

rusty90
    Free Member

Step daughter worked briefly in a call centre, cold calling people to see if they wanted to buy gold as an ‘investment opportunity’.
    Her first assignment consisted of ringing people in the South Wales valleys area. On a Saturday afternoon. During a Wales v England match.
    Apparently some of the responses were less than polite 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

Reality TV eh. Take away the cameras and the reality is very different.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hmmmm. It is mildly amusing, nothing else.

That Hayley girl really does have a head as empty as a hermit’s address book (ref Blackadder).

One way to strike back is to lead the cold callers on a bit, string it out for a good few minutes, make them think they’ve potentially got a sale and then tell them you’ve been yanking their chain and they could have made another five calls in the time they’ve wasted on you.

This, at least, will sting a bit in the world of ‘leads’, calls made and sales generated – if you just hang up, they just call someone else and haven’t lost anything as a result.

andyrm
    Free Member

One way to strike back is to lead the cold callers on a bit, string it out for a good few minutes, make them think they’ve potentially got a sale and then tell them you’ve been yanking their chain and they could have made another five calls in the time they’ve wasted on you.

This, at least, will sting a bit in the world of ‘leads’, calls made and sales generated – if you just hang up, they just call someone else and haven’t lost anything as a result.

That’s a really sh*tty thing to do – someone’s just trying to make a living and you knowingly and deliberately take that from them. Not cool.

convert

That’s a really sh*tty thing to do – someone’s just trying to make a living and you knowingly and deliberately take that from them. Not cool.

I know(as pointed out to me above) no one voluntarily chooses cold call working as a career of choice if there is better on offer and whilst I have to agree to some extent- if you choose to work for a company that gives you a list full of people that have registered their wish for you not to call them and are therefore doing so illegally, it’s a pretty shitty living and I don’t have much sympathy if the people you ring deliberately waste your time.

What other illegal activities are we going to accept as ok as a way to make a crust cos there is nothing else available? I accept that getting cold called when you have requested not to be is not the worst crime to be a victim of (far from it) but you’ve got to draw a line somewhere and for me it’s there.

dannyh
    Free Member

Tough.

You waste my time, interrupt me in my home then you can deal with the consequences. If you don’t like it, put me on a list of numbers to avoid calling and don’t bother me in future.

binners

What other illegal activities are we going to accept as ok as a way to make a crust cos there is nothing else available?

Well as illegal activities go, its not very rapey or stabby, is it? Unless you start getting really Daily Mail about it. Oh… you already have

I’d say that when you’ve got a mortgage, a family to feed, or just fancy a bit of cash in your arse pocket, and there’s pretty much no other work in the area, then being an evil master criminal minor irritant to a few people is probably a price worth paying.

You are aware that large call centres deliberately locate to areas of high unemployment? For obvious reasons.

ampthill

If you work in a call centre and the employer gives you a number to call that has requested no calls, is it you that has comitted the crime?

binners

Also… how long would you keep your job if you decided to take a high-minded and virtuous moral stand for the poor, oppressed phone-answerers of the country?

convert

I’d say that when you’ve got a mortgage, a family to feed, or just fancy a bit of cash in your arse pocket, and there’s pretty much no other work in the area, then being an evil master criminal minor irritant to a few people is probably a price worth paying.

But just be prepared for those for whom you are a minor irritant to return the favour and not think particularly highly of you. Which was my original point that you objected to.

You are aware that large call centres deliberately locate to areas of high unemployment? For obvious reasons.

Yes, because the owners are such caring, happy chaps who do it just to help another brother human to a much needed income. And absolutely nothing to do with getting the employees prepared to work for as close to minimum wage as possible doing a horrible job and maximise his profit margins and the nice big tax break/grant that Nev Wiltshire gets from the Welsh Assembly for locating there…. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘The Call Centre – BBC3’ is closed to new replies.