Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The bug has truly bitten – new frame and fork time
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’m back in hook line and sinker, damn you mountain bikes

anyhoo, new frame/forks/brakes after xmas to take over from my aging Kona….most other stuff will transplant right over (bar the odd seatpost and what not)

What recommendations to keep it all to a price point, my days of blowing two grand on full sus are over and I just want a steel hardtail.

456 On one seems to be popular but what else am I missing?

cp

depends entirely what you are going to ride! 456 would be great if you plan to fit a long travel fork and go riding rocky steep stuff, but if you’re more into forest trails, blue and red routes at trail centres and rolling hill/flat riding, then a standard inbred or similar with 100mm forks will be much better.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

dont want to go too mad on the fork travel front, running 85mm marzo’s at the moment. Did wonder about new forks and brakes for the Kona and leave it at that.

2003 Kona Cindercone, 100mm forks should upset the geometry too much

billybob
    Free Member

Anything with on-one written on it will feel like riding scaffolding after riding your kona…

nickc

Anything with on-one written on it will feel like riding scaffolding after riding your kona…

hmmmm, the DN6 inbred I had knocked socks of the dull Explosif it replaced.

Steel hardtails. Loads to choose from On One, Cotic, DB, Sanderson, Ragley, Genesis, it’s endless.

carlphillips
    Free Member

dont discount the scandal either, lighter and IME rides pretty much the same.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have just built up a Kenisis Decade Vira – good frame and well pleased

crezzy

ive got a cotic soul andi find it rides like a dream to the point i sold my full susser to buy another cotic [one geared and theother singlespeed]

titusrider
    Free Member

Another shout for cotic soul and genesis as a slightly budget alternative

hambl90
    Free Member

Just built a cove handjob with 120mm forks, best hardtail I’ve ridden.

fruitbat

What are these like Pace RC104?
    They look expensive but rather appealing.

neil853
    Free Member

i like the look of that pace a lot, but thats over double what an on one would cost. If you’re after shorter travel forks the inbred is hard to beat at that price, but if you want a bit more quality (and less weight) i’d look at a cotic soul.

I have just got a 456 but i’m putting some u-turn lyriks on it and using it for messing about local to where i live. Its not built yet but i don’t think i’ll leave my SC Blur at home to use it around the lakes/wales.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The bug has truly bitten – new frame and fork time’ is closed to new replies.