Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • The Budget
  • sbob
    Free Member

g5604 – Member

Ok, but for all intensive purposes they are self employed.

I take pacific umbrage with this post.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“is anyone seriously surprised at a political party not keeping every single manifesto pledge? I mean really?”

Nope, yet in spite of expecting them to break manifesto pledges, I still find it surprising that nothing ever happens when they do. I know that’s illogical, but there it is.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just listening to the post budget debate and the increase in NI contributions for self employed.

I went to a real news site to get the real news:

Self-employed builder just glad he’s cash only

And on a similar note:

Woman who keeps voting Tory can’t work out why public services are sh*t

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Ok, but for all intensive purposes they are self employed. [/I]

No they are not.

A self-employed management consultant – with average earnings of £51,100 – will be £620 worse off.

Lets be clear, that’ll be salary plus dividend. And having just worked it out as a family we’re £2k down pa.

Not that I’ve ever voted Conservative, so no vote lost there 🙂

Personally, I choose to be self-employed despite the lack of financial benefits in order to be in more control and have increased flexibility.

+1

mefty
    Free Member

Lets be clear, that’ll be salary plus dividend. And having just worked it out as a family we’re £2k down pa.

If they get a salary they are not self employed, this applies to unincorporated businesses, not Service Companies.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I disagree on lies. I think it’s absurd that we are happy to allow politicians – our representatives – to lie to us

Their promises should be subject to the same level of accountability as any one else’s – in fact more so

footflaps

My sincere hope is that Theresa May’s premiership will stop this lunacy – so far she has seemed very measured, but time will tell.

This would be the same ‘very measured’ Therasa May who seems to be intent on driving her Brexit truck off a cliff?

bikebouy
    Free Member

The hike NI is too small, after all we need moar Bombs with frikin lasers in em’

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In you opinion FF – you obviously have greater clarity than the rest of us (wee nippy aside) on what the results of the forthcoming negotiations will be

rone

Most small business like myself that pay some money out of dividends, pay dividend tax.

We also pay employee NI contributions and employer NI contributions too.

Don’t confuse this with the increase in NI for the self-employed.

Also remember companies previously got a govenrment contribution to the Employee element of NI.

P-Jay
    Free Member

ratnips – Member

TMH Tories enshrined their budget commitment in law in 2015, it explictiy did not include self employed NI.

I never understand why people defend any political party that lies so openly. Are you on the payroll?

In regards to the lies thing.

I have never voted Tory, I’m never likely too and I’ve no reason to defend them.

Did they, lie? are they lying now? You can split hairs about it – but I could NEVER support a Political Party who stick to plans when the situation changes.

They were dishonest to make such bold statements back when they did, voters were foolish to believe them – but sticking to it, just to avoid the messy business of being called in it would the very worst thing to do. Can we blame them? Yeah I guess so, but it was the cabinet that made the statement, and there isn’t many of them left.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

When she’s driving off the cliff, maybe she could improve her environmental credentials by recycling her home office bus, with the writing on it’s side telling immigrants to go home. Be a good use for her nasty bus.

Although I guess she can tell them to go home legitimately now by saying it was the voice of the people. 🙄

Northwind

The thing is that “it was a manifesto commitment” is used like it’s divine writ, Jeremy Hunt can’t complete a paragraph without saying “manifesto commitment”, we must do it and you shouldn’t stand in our way, it’s the will of the people. Unless they want to break a manifesto commitment when suddenly it’s not important. Like a lot of things this seems to be swinging to extremes, and contradictory ones- parties have always broken manifesto promises but I don’t remember ever before hearing a government speak so much about how things they’re doing were commitments.

And they seem to want to just brush off breaking them as if it’s nothing at all- you can make a good case for breaking one, you can say “sorry but we need to” or “we got that one wrong” or “things have changed”, sometimes “we would be idiots to follow through on that”. But instead they’re just acting like it’s barely worth mentioning.

I see nobody’s tackled the really big issue

g5604 – Member

Ok, but for all intensive purposes they are self employed.

“Intents and purposes”.

rone

The biggest conflict for me is the fact they are lowering Corp tax and raising class 4 at the same time.

That’s the real dishonesty.

We need to make our minds up about our ideologies, don’t we May?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

“We need to make our minds up about our ideologies, don’t we May?”

Indeed. The daily mail pinup up girl while Home Secretary, campaigning for remain. Now intent on driving us off a cliff thru a hard brexit.
    Frightful woman.

br
    Free Member

The thing is that “it was a manifesto commitment” is used like it’s divine writ,

Under the current way that legislation is agreed, if it’s in a Manifesto that a party wins an election on then the House of Lords won’t oppose it, so it is (very) important.

Ignoring any ‘get elected and then do something different’ issues 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

As long as payments are roughly inline with benefits its near enough . You won’t please everyone. If this wasn’t a dull budget you would be having even more complaints from some other interest group. Its impossible to please everyone.
    Those who complain about lack of holiday pay need to think clearly. No one gets holiday pay, its just removed from our basic lump some , kept back and given to us when we don’t work because many people are too stupid to manage their money. Reminds me of a self employed mate who has a job the goes quiet in the winter. Moans about 14 hour days when its sunny and how he finds it hard to make things meet in the winter. And that holidays mean he doesn’t work. Does get it that income is spread over a year, not a week and that he could holiday in January.
    Don’t get me wrong , I am all for self employment, especially if it keeps us going on small scale local work that allows deals to be done and swaps to be made.
    as for tax being the same for all. On a personal, not business, basis that is surely the only way thats fair. Anything else rather misses the point does it not?

DrJ

intensive purposes

*post reported

Flaperon

In fact, now I’ve had some time to think about it I can’t help feeling that the NI tax increase for the self employed is both a good thing and entirely their own fault. It’s been described in the papers as a tax on “white van man”, and since that demographic voted overwhelmingly for Brexit I think it’s only fair they pick up the tab.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Flaperon +1

Just had to explain to one of the office brexiters that the increase in fuel prices they’re complaining about is a direct result of brexit and the weakened pound.
    Muppet.

daveky
    Free Member

Is it a case of the majority spoiling it for the minority. At the £50k-£80k professional/middle management level that I see it’s all disguised employment but they still want the best state schools, NHS treatment etc. and complain if they don’t get it. Of course a lot claim that they’re only working through PSC’s or umbrellas to give them more control and flexibility…yeah right. IR35 is a complete waste of time so the sooner they crackdown hard on these avoiders the better and if there’s a bit of friendly fire in there then blame the avoiders ruining it for the genuinely self employed.

br
    Free Member

daveky

You too are confusing self-employed and employed.

If you work for a PSC you’re employed, and usually an owner. And all together will pay employees NI, employers NI, income tax and corporation tax.

Plus off course any downtime, sickness, etc.

woody74

As someone who has been self employed and now runs their own Ltd company the whole NI setup is far to confusing. They should have just scrapped all the levels and set one that everyone pays. Use it as a chance to simplify things.

For those that say it is unfair on the self employed, such is life. Think of all the people without kids that still have to pay for schools.

daveky
    Free Member

The rest still applies. I know guys working for the same firm for over 10 years meeting all the tests for employment but still they are paid as contractors. Say the missus is working for their limiteds and pay them £11k plus divis when in reality they’re do nothing. It’s absolutely rife and it was only a matter of time before something needed doing. Unless they’re involved most uninformed people don’t know what’s going on and think it’s just an alternative choice to employment while they’re sat there on PAYE paying the Contractor’s state pension contributions. It’s looking as though the Government might row back on this one scared of the voter backlash. That tells you a lot about the levels of avoidance going on. I thought these small rises in tax will likely be wiped out by the reductions in corporation tax to 17% over the next few years anyway.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘The Budget’ is closed to new replies.