• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The Bricycle – a bike you can’t steer…
  • ji
    Free Member

Stumbled across this – interesting demonstration of bike steering

Spin
    Free Member

Very interesting. Thanks.

Poopscoop

Interesting!

Basically gravity is your friend.

Though I still think it hurts sometimes. Lol

daviek

That was all kinds of weird. Worth a watch though!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Brain hurts….

epicyclo

I wonder how it would steer if someone who had never ridden a bike went on it.

A lesson learned from riding motorbikes with sidecars is that the automatic steering reactions you have for a motorbike are all wrong when you get on a sidecar.

You have to learn a whole new set of automatic responses, and counter-steering is not one of them.

chiefgrooveguru

A sidecar is just an asymmetric tricycle. It isn’t to do with habit, it’s because of how the action of steering laterally displaces the contact patches, generating a lean angle, independent of how the rider shifts their own mass.

epicyclo

Agree, what I am pointing out is that an experienced motorcyclist has all the wrong reactions for a sidecar outfit* – at least initially.

Thus would someone with no riding experience actually do better?

(*Speaking from practical experience here, 3 crashes in 8 miles on my first outfit when I was an impetuous youth 🙂 )

pdw
    Free Member

Thus would someone with no riding experience actually do better?

For a sidecar, yes possibly.

For the bricycle, no, it’s genuinely unsteerable, in the same way that no amount of wiggling achieves a lateral movement of the zero gravity pendulum.

colournoise

That’s genuinely interesting, but makes my brain hurt.

pdw
    Free Member

Yeah, I think that the that starting point of something that allows you to lean at any angle without falling isn’t very natural which makes the results of riding it unintuitive.

Sandwich

That looks like you have to lean the opposite way to steer around the first cone but you’re then stuffed for the following cone.

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s brilliant.

DezB
    Free Member

Fascinating stuff!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘The Bricycle – a bike you can’t steer…’ is closed to new replies.