• This topic has 58 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • The breakfast club…
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

I was given the nickname Breakfast Club by a lot of people at 6th form and it wasn’t until a few years later when I got round to watching it that I realized why. I looked exactly like the character Jud Nelson played; same style hair similar face even complete with red checked lumberjack shirt and denim jacket. 😯

I suppose it iwould have been better than being called Bender 🙂

househusband

Started watching ‘The Outsiders’ a few nights ago and we just couldn’t get into it… even for nostalgia’s sake.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Whereas Ferris Beuller would work now. Always been more of a fan of stuff with John Candy in. Uncle Buck deserves a mention.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

never seen breakfast Club…love ferris Beuller tho…the last song by Yello is epic…Oh Yeah!!

footflaps

I always think 10 Things I Hate About You should have been an 80s brat pack film. Same style, just 25 years later…

jamj1974

I like 10 Things too…

I re-watched the Outsiders and I really still loved it.

On a different note, does anyone else fondly remember ‘Breaking Away’? A film about small town boys and a local bike race. Starred Dennis Quaid.

unovolo
    Free Member

If you like ‘The Outsiders’ you should watch Rumblefish too.

Watched The Breakfast club with my teen daughter earlier this year and she loved it, can also recommend ‘Can’t buy me love’ for the teens too, has a very young Patrick Dempsey in it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Breakfast Club has just come up as a recent addition on Netflix. That’ll be the rest of my evening sorted out then. First track is from Simple Minds – not a bad way to start.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Some kind of Wonderful was in a similar vein. Cracking soundtrack too.
    Worth a watch.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Watching it has reminded me that while I agree Molly Ringwald was cute it was really Ally Sheedy that did it for me.

Cougar

+1.

Cougar

Ok, I give in. I’m going to try and find Some Kind of Wonderful.

lucorave
    Free Member

+1 for Ally Sheedy. My total teenage crush 😉

War Games still gets a watch every now and again

jamj1974

it was really Ally Sheedy that did it for me.

And she looked better before the ‘makeover’ scene.

squirrelking
    Free Member

All wrong, Mia Sara for the win…

Actually no, I’m with pre-makeover Sheedy

Digby

And she looked better before the ‘makeover’ scene

Agreed.

Some kind of Wonderful was in a similar vein. Cracking soundtrack too

I used to have a massive crush on both Molly Ringwald (who was originally offered the part of Amanda played by Lea Thompson) and Mary Stuart Masterson

And the soundtrack features Leeds post-punk/goth band The March Violets. 8) 8) 8)

Who are also the band performing in the Club!

IHN

I used to [b]still[/b]have a massive crush on both Molly Ringwald (who was originally offered the part of Amanda played by Lea Thompson) and Mary Stuart Masterson

Cougar

So I watched Some Kind of Wonderful last night (it’s on Netflix, who knew). I thought it was ok, but not exceptional. It felt like it should be one of Hughes’ earlier works, yet it was seemingly two years after Breakfast Club (and one year after Pretty in Pink, which is essentially a gender reversal of the same film only better).

Cheers for the recommendation. I enjoyed it, but I don’t really understand why it’s in people’s favourites list.

Digby

but I don’t really understand why it’s in people’s favourites list

If I watched it today for the first time I would probably think the same … I only watched ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High’ for the first time 20 odd years after it was released and I was a bit ‘meh’ … even though pretty much everyone in it went on to be ‘stars’.

Some Kind of Wonderful, The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink are in my favourites list because they dealt with the universal ‘tropes’ of youth when I was a youth. My daughter also likes them as she too watched them as a teenager.

I don’t think SKoW is as strong as PiP – in hindsight John Hughes was probably already set to try and target his next generation with Home Alone etc – but SKoW had something else I think: apart from The March Violets! 😉

The scene in the garage where Watts ‘coaches’ Keith to check his kissing is up to scratch taps into teenage zeitgeist in a way that only John Hughes could at the time I think.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘The breakfast club…’ is closed to new replies.