Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 245 total)
  • The Book of Boba Fett
  • duckman

There are six episodes right? I have been keeping off binge watching until I can enjoy the whole lot in a one’r as they are quite short.

martinhutch

It’s like they got halfway through creating a series about Boba Fett, thought ‘well, this isn’t working, is it?’, and wrote in Mando to liven things up a bit.

The whole premise appears to be built around lightweight fan service rather than plotting something that would stand alone as a good story.

robola

The whole premise appears to be built around lightweight fan service rather than plotting something that would stand alone as a good story.

Does it really matter, bit of light entertainment set in star wars universe. I do think expectations are unrealistically high for streaming services pumping out hours of content. They need to keep something in reserve for feature films.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Not really, there was at least a little fresh world-building in The Mandalorian compared to this, though (with the exception of the ring-city thing in this episode).

They need to keep something in reserve for feature films.

Oh, it’s still better than The Rise of Skywalker, despite sharing the ‘somehow, Boba/Palpatine survived’ idea.

oikeith

It’s like they got halfway through creating a series about Boba Fett, thought ‘well, this isn’t working, is it?’, and wrote in Mando to liven things up a bit.

I found this the most interesting and engaging episode to date!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

There are six episodes right? I have been keeping off binge watching until I can enjoy the whole lot in a one’r as they are quite short.

There are seven episodes in total – but some are longer than others.

dyna-ti

Well done. I wanted to do that but the lure of a new shiny star wars based story dragged me back in.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

All a bit slow isn’t it? The Mods thing and that “chase” was absolutely cringeworthy. As bad as the acting by teenage Anakin in Ep2/Ep3.

Made up a bit by this weeks episode. Its a real shame but surely they could have done something (anything!) better with the character of Boba Fett? It seems to be following a similar premise as the Mandalorian which I thought was ok but was a bit of a weekly “fight some bad guys and beat them”. Tune in next week for some more fighting of different bad guys with no storyline.

I’ll watch til the end but unless something amazing happens, its all been VERY meh.

The-Beard

Boba Fett became such an iconic character in the ’80s partly because of the cool armour but also because he was a sinister enigma. He barely said anything, the armour made him mysterious, Darth Vader treated him almost like an equal and he was obviously a threat to the heroes.

The sinister figure from the Empire Strikes Back doesn’t seem to be the same Boba Fett that is now hiring mods on brightly coloured scooters, taking his helmet off at every opportunity, needing rescued in fights and often looking a bit bemused or caught out by events.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the show.  Plus, Boba Fett in the 80’s wasn’t a Kiwi…  Just saying…  I also thought it was impressive he put on weight whilst in the Sarlac pit!  But, pedantry aside, it’s good fun.  My son loves it and we’ve been watching it together (after we binged Mando over Christmas, he’s finally getting into Star Wars which has made me very happy!)  I actually think it’s almost incidental that the main character calls himself Boba Fett.  It really doesn’t feel like he’s the same as the cool bad guy I remember from my childhood.

I loved the Mando episode this week, really looking forward to another season of that. BOBF is a nice aside I suppose whilst waiting.  And a vast improvement over the latest film trilogy.

wooksterbo

Really liked the episode and can see Mandalore perhaps being the end game for at least the Mandalorian to some degree. No idea if Boba will survive this series or not and come back into the Mandalorian later. It’s still weird how he appeared to be a badass when he returned in the Mandalorian and took out all those stormtroopers with absolute ease and then became a punk in his own series. Extremely jarring and if there is no purpose to this very different version of him in his own series then I don’t know what they were thinking. He already had his epiphany before he got his armour back (based on the flashbacks) so that is no excuse with how he was so different in one show compared to his own show.

Edit: I’ll still watch the show to the end and if they announced a second season, I expect I would still watch that (I’m a sucker for Star Wars)

chakaping
    Free Member

Mandalorian which I thought was ok but was a bit of a weekly “fight some bad guys and beat them”. Tune in next week for some more fighting of different bad guys with no storyline.

I took it to be an affectionate tribute to 1970s/80s teatime US TV shows in that regard.

Just needed a Mike Post theme tune to complete the effect.

vintagewino
    Free Member

The rebuilding of the ship made me think of that building montage in the third act of EVERY A-Team episode where they were holed up in a shed magically equipped with all the blowtorches and tools and weapons you could ever want.

Dolcered

Was getting so bored. Episode 5 rescued it.

anagallis_arvensis

The rebuilding of the ship made me think of that building montage in the third act of EVERY A-Team episode where they were holed up in a shed magically equipped with all the blowtorches and tools and weapons you could ever want.

Yep The Manadlorian us vey much like the A Team in space

Drac

Oh my! This week’s was pretty good too.

Still a slow build but it’s clearly leading to something special.

wooksterbo

Quite a shock with how much they had in it. Won’t say more as spoilers aplenty otherwise.

daviek

Anyone seen the youtube reactions to the Red Wedding in GoT? I was embarrassingly close to this at one point today.

Not a spoiler by the way just a ……. I’ve maybe said too much …..

piemonster

There are seven episodes in total – but some are longer than others.

Some episodes definitely feel a lot longer than other ……

So far I’m preferring those that are basically Mando gate crashing and stealing the entire show

wooksterbo

I think we will get an announcement at the end of the season saying brand new series coming soon like they did at the end of the Mandalorian when it announced book of boba fett out of nowhere. Basing this off the content of this new episode

ta11pau1

Oh god, Timothy Olyphant. “It was justified…”

Mando landing in a swamp.

R2 friggin D2.

Droid ants.

GROGU!!! Fake Luke!!

Force feeding frogs.

Ahsoka Tano.

Training montage!!

The good, the stupid and the ugly.

Shiny things! Choices.

Hum du dum dum du dum…

It’s like the greatest hits album…

Good episode btw, but again with only, what 30 seconds of Boba Fett in a Boba Fett episode…

As for spoilers, I don’t come in here until I’ve watched the episode – you’re only to blame if you do IMO 😁

letmetalktomark

Great episode tonight 👌🏻

The hiring of Shamook re Luke is a nice touch and a cool storey.

anagallis_arvensis

I’d be a Manadlorian, no a Jedi, Yoda’s light sabre, although a Mithryl vest made of Beskar, Mando Hobbit…….can I phone a friend?

I hope the guy from Deadwood is ok….

ta11pau1

I hope the guy from Deadwood is ok….

Hope so too, he’s bloody excellent in the ‘old fashioned western Marshall’ roles, Justified is worth a watch if you’re a fan.

Drac

Don’t forget..

Spoiler:
    Cad Bane
    anagallis_arvensis

Spoilers be damned, I saw this thread earlier but didn’t look in until after I’d watched it’s not hard

househusband
    Free Member

Surely I can’t be the only one to think of Iron Maiden’s Eddie when Cad Bane lifted his head up…

jeffl

Oh yes. Watched it with the kids and I was all like, look it’s CB. They’ll have to find a new reason for the dent in Boba’s helmet.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cad Bane ..Ahsoka

Therory Grogu swinging the dark saber

martinhutch

They’ve just given up on Boba at this point. 🙂

I don’t know this is wise, who could resist watching him having a spa treatment while dreaming about learning to fight with a stick for half an hour?

chakaping
    Free Member

I now understand why the first four episodes were so slow and seemed lower-budget.

They spent all the money on making Luke’s face look so realistic.

That was a good episode, but I don’t understand the frothing excitement here for characters I’m barely aware of – were they in the cartoons?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The Mando led stuff is so much better than Boba Fett, the character has lost all it’s mystique and without wanting to sound fattist Morrison just looks a bit too portly.

Deepfake Luke is such a huge improvement, I’d happily watch a ‘young’ Luke series or film and wouldn’t be surprised if that’s in the offing.

ta11pau1

I honestly think there will only be 1 season of Boba Fett, just to get his back story in and explain how he survived the Sarlac pit, then to set him up in the world so he can be in a few Mandalorian episodes.

Mando season 3 will be their 2 storylines merged with some boba with Mando but mostly Mando.

verses

were they in the cartoons

Yes, significant characters from The Clone Wars, Rebels and the Bad Batch.

Those series on the whole are excellent, however they do have episodes that a bit too kid-ish. There’s a lot of episodes to get through and you never know which ones are skippable. It would be good if there was (there maybe already is) a curated list of episodes to watch to get the main thread of the stories with the least amount of cruft (think Star Trek holodeck episodes).

Drac

Cad Bane dropped a big hint about Boba when he met the sheriff. Boba has also warned through out that the syndicate need to learn him alone. Boba will ride into town on is horse next week.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, significant characters from The Clone Wars, Rebels and the Bad Batch.

I thought as much.

As someone who can’t engage with the cartoons (Star Wars for me is a film – and now TV – thing), It feels overly portentious and a bit clunky when they bring in these characters.

This is what they call “fan service” I assume? It feels like some scenes may have been shoehorned in from other sources, leaving the main narrative a bit stretched and baggy.

Or is it just me?

budgierider67

They’ve just given up on Boba at this point. 🙂

=

Drac

Or is it just me?

I think it helps if you know the lore, I’m far from full on fanboy so some are new to me. Not sure it deters much from it though.

I mean Cad dropped another hint about the sherif too.

verses

This is what they call “fan service” I assume?

For me, fan service is more when they have Luke re-enacting the training from Empire, getting Grogu to play with the same drone-ball-thing from New Hope and throwing in dialogue from the old films almost word-for-word.

Absolute awful fan service for middle-aged babies that don’t want to grow up.

I saw that comment on a review of the episode. I think it was intended as criticism, but to be honest I resemble that remark and am quite happy with it 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

Boba will ride into town on is horse Bantha next week.

FIFY

scruff
    Free Member

The Togrutans like Ahsoka and the lady who ran the gambling plan- those floppy horn things, are the body parts or a head dress?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.