• This topic has 113 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Lifer.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • The best/your favourite Sci fi books?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

tenfoot – Member
    And if you’ve seen Blade Runner then you’ll already have experienced Philip K Dick as the film was based on his book “So androids dream of electric sheep”

Very loosely, I think the film is definitely more Ridley Scott than Philip K Dick.

Garry_Lager

The book of the new sun by Gene Wolfe is the best I’ve read, and prob my favourite book full stop, a masterpiece. Also Neil Gaiman’s favourite book as it goes – Wolfe is such a brilliant stylist that he gets a lot of love from others in the field.

He’s written a lot of good stuff but after BotNS it’s his short stories that are the best – SF is built on this form and Wolfe is a master. His early collections are outstanding, stuff like ‘the island of Dr death and other stories and other stories’ or ‘book of days’ are top drawer from start to finish.

tenfoot

+1 for Hyperion. The Shrike is a great creation

bencooper
    Free Member

China Mieville is also very good – perhaps a bit more fantasy than hard SF, but that’s a very fuzzy boundary anyway.

Have we done Arthur C Clarke yet? Old-school SF, but the Rama series, the 2001 series (though miss out the last one), and his short stories are excellent.

And have we done Adam Roberts? High concept SF, oddly from the same guy who writes “Bored of the Rings” and other spoofs.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

+1 for China Mieville- I thought The Scar was amazing.
    I recently tore through Richard Morgan’s Altered Carbon and the 2 sequels back to back- bit pulpy but some good ideas in there.

chaos

+1 for Peter F Hamilton’s series. They have that epic feel of having a great back story with history, interesting thoughts on how things would pan out with people having unending life spans, etc.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

This far in and no mention of Asimov’s Robot series?

finbar
    Free Member

I jsut finished reading “The Death of Grass” by John Christopher and I recommend it very highly. Also a very quick read if anyone is on the lookout for something snappy.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Dune +1. It’s truly epic, and has barely aged, where as the likes of Asimov et al really have, and makes it a little twee these days.

Dragons Egg is a good, undemanding read.

The lensman series by E.E. Doc Smith is good fun too, if you can forgive its age and original pulp style.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Anyone remember going to a shop and buying books? 😛 I miss a nice trip to waterstones….

Lifer
    Free Member

I still do! Getting through a couple of books a week on the commute. Nothing better than spending most of a lunch hour deciding what’s next.

bencooper
    Free Member

Anyone remember going to a shop and buying books? I miss a nice trip to waterstones….

My mother used to leave me in the John Smiths SF section while she went off to do other things (shopping? work? I can’t remember) – couldn’t do that with an 8-year-old nowadays.

z1ppy

Too many favorites, though if I had to choose maybe Dune is, as I’ve read it so many times. So can only add endorsement for authors rather than particular books, already suggested: Neal Stephenson, Iain M Banks, Alastair Reynolds, Peter F. Hamilton, China Melville, Dan Simmons, Richard K Morgan I don’t think they been mentioned yet David Brin & John Scalzi.
    Though will note I am enjoying new stuff from Hugh Howey, James S. A Corey (pen name of a pair of authors), Isla K Bick, Marcus Sakey, Justin Cronin (sneaking in from horror) & Marko Kloos

I could go on for hours, I like my sci-fi & particular enjoying audiobooks, as I can ‘read’ and do otherstuff too!

TPTcruiser

New Model Army by Adam Roberts is chilling, compliments the early Ken MacLeod books in some ways.
    Writers of Wyndam’s generation? Poul Anderson, Heinlein, Moorcock all have echoes/familiarities. Bob Shaw and Keith Roberts are good UK authors.
    I keep returning to Excession by Ian M Banks but also Matter, Surface Detail and The Hydrogen Sonata. So sad to lose him, there was another Culture book.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I jsut finished reading “The Death of Grass” by John Christopher and I recommend it very highly. Also a very quick read if anyone is on the lookout for something snappy.

Death of Grass is a great book. Another excellent work in a similar vein of mid-century apocalyptica is On The Beach by Nevil Shute.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Venus on the half shell by Kilgore Trout (actually written by Phillip Jose Farmer)
    The Iron Dream by Nirman Spinrad.
    Everything by William Gibdon
    Heavy Weather and Darwins Radio by Alan Dean Foster

The list is endless

thepurist

Asimovs Foundation trilogy but not the extra books he bolted on afterwards. Stranger in a Strange Land from Heinlein, some stainless steel rat from Harry Harrison, Ringworld by Larry Niven, plus a bundle of stuff mentioned above.

finbar
    Free Member

Death of Grass is a great book. Another excellent work in a similar vein of mid-century apocalyptica is On The Beach by Nevil Shute.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go.

TPTcruiser

Blimey, forgot David Brin!
    Everything by him, the Uplift series first three (not sure about the second set of three), Earth, the Practice Effect.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

No mention for either of these so far so here’s my tuppence:

Mike Freeman – Redemption Protocol, Contact 1 – 4 books in the series so far, great ideas, big story.

Sam Landstrom – MetaGame, very relevant to today social media and gaming and dark.

brassneck

Neale Stephenson – Anathem worth a read.

In the ‘young adult’ section, check out the Mortal Engines quartet and the prequels Fever Crumb (waiting for book 4 to be written) – excellent stuff. reading them to my 8 year old as much for my pleasure as his.

bigh
    Free Member

I struggle to read anything that isn’t non fiction these days. But i love audiobooks at work, and they’re 90 percent sci fi. Hyperion was excellent, so good it left me hollow once finished in the way that good books do. Speaking of hollow,theres a book called Hollow world thats also worth seeking out.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I always thought it would be great if someone wrote all of Kilgore Trouts’ novels!
    On The Beach is a fantastic book, very bleak, but hasn’t dated at all.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Asimov, Clark and Niven: biologist, electronics engineer and mathematician, so a complete absence of dragons.

Larry Niven wrote ‘Lucifer’s Hammer’ with Jerry Pournelle of NASA, it’s a very real story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer%27s_Hammer

metalheart
    Free Member

Stephenson’s Anathem +1 Wouldnt really call Cryptonomicon SF (although def one of my favourite books). Snow Crash i also rate highly.
    wyndums The Crysalids +1
    Gibsons later stuff (Spook Country springs to mind, I really enjoyed his early stuff but at the time. Not sure how it would read now).
    Vonneguts Sirens of Titan
    Iain M Banks I’ve enjoyed too.

sadmadalan

Rather fell out of love with SciFi novels. In my youth Arthur C Clark, Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein were favourites, and I was just starting to head off the ‘golden age’ of SciFi from the 30s and 40s, when I got distracted. Try the short stories rather than novels. Ideas that work well in short stories, don’t translate well into novels, but can be very impressive in short story.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Kim Stanley Robinson for sure – science fiction with the emphasis on the science.

No mention of Harry Harrison? The Stainless Steel Rat is too funny.

IdleJon

metalheart – Member
    Wouldnt really call Cryptonomicon SF (although def one of my favourite books).

Yeah, it’s not SF at all. It’s a strange book though – it starts off brilliantly, well written, compelling etc. Then after about 400 pages I thought it completely fell apart and the second half of the book is a total mess. The writing felt almost like a different author, the plot is messy and the ending is incredibly rushed for such a long book.

grenosteve – Member

Alastair Reynolds for me.

if you like space opera, try the Revelation Space series of books – very out there, but it’s an awesome universe that’s created and spans over 5 books (3 in the main story, lots of short stories and 2 spin off novels in the same universe).

I’ve got to admit that I thought Revelation Space was one of the worst books, of any genre, that I’ve ever had the misfortune of reading. Poorly written, appalling – actually non-existent – characterisation and stupid, stupid ‘hard SF’ concepts considering that the author is an astrophysicist. I gave up at a point where he went into detail describing a hand-rail (as in the thing you hold onto when walking down steps) in detail. The hand-rail then played no further part in the story. Apparently Reynolds got better as an author after this book, but I haven’t tried anything else.

After that negativity 🙂 I’d +1 a lot of the above. I have been re-reading Dick’s early short stories lately, some of which are great. I also read Vernor Vinge’s A Fire Upon The Deep which has some interesting ideas. I also have recently found a love of Jack Vance’s short stories.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve read quite a lot on the list. Clarke was an amazing visionary with a fair amount of tongue in cheek wit to boot, but his characters were dull. I thoroughly enjoyed Contact, the world needs more Eleanor Arroways.

I can highly recommend Lucifer’s Hammer and Footfall both by Niven & Pournelle for their sheer grittiness. Their take on the tired alien invasion scenario was well executed and would lend itself to a modern film interpretation.

Right now though, I’m working my way through Iain M Banks. He combines the visionary style and wit of Clarke with an excellent backstory. The characters are well realised too – Use of Weapons is the high water mark of the genre for me.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, it’s hard to say if Cryptonomicon is SF or not – and the sort-of sequels, the Baroque Cycle. Though they’re set in the past, there’s also some things which are more SF-ish, and there’s lots of science, so they’re sort-of historical SF.

Steampunk? William Gibson and Bruce Sterling’s The Difference Engine is marvellous. Or going back to Stephenson the overlooked sequel (ish) to Snow Crash is The Diamond Age, set in a neo-Victorian future full of nanomachines.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Probably the most sci-fi book I’ve ever read is Poul Anderson’s Tau Zero. Not one for those who like laser blasters and witty robots, it’s quite literally fiction based on physics. Without giving the plot away too much it’s sort of Dark Star for people who’ve read Einstein.

jamj1974

In the ‘young adult’ section, check out the Mortal Engines quartet and the prequels Fever Crumb (waiting for book 4 to be written) – excellent stuff. reading them to my 8 year old as much for my pleasure as his.

Not just me then! Great stories!

IdleJon

wordnumb – Member
    Without giving the plot away too much it’s sort of Dark Star for people who’ve read Einstein

As long as it’s got a beachball with claws I’m in! 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

IdleJon – Sorry to be the intergalactic ambassador of bad news but I believe the comedy alien had to be sacrificed for the explanation of what happens to mass as an object approaches the speed of light.

z1ppy

I’ve got to admit that I thought Revelation Space was one of the worst books, of any genre, that I’ve ever had the misfortune of reading

I seen that before (from you?) & I totally disagree, if anything it’s how long Reynolds takes setting the charaters/scene that fustrates me, though it pay off massively IMO (of course). I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all his books, though I like being entertained by a story and am not above enjoying a bit of space opera ‘trash’ (not that Reynolds fits that description). Luckily were all different though.

IdleJon

z1ppy – Member

I’ve got to admit that I thought Revelation Space was one of the worst books, of any genre, that I’ve ever had the misfortune of reading

I seen that before (from you?) & I totally disagree, if anything it’s how long Reynolds takes setting the charaters/scene that fustrates me, though it pay off massively IMO (of course). I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all his books, though I like being entertained by a story and am not above enjoying a bit of space opera ‘trash’ (not that Reynolds fits that description). Luckily were all different though.

Yeah, could have been me z1ppy, I think I’ve said it before on here. Funnily enough I was probably looking for ‘space opera trash’ and still haven’t found anything worth reading. But vive la difference, as you say! 🙂

z1ppy

Have you tried Brin’s Uplift books? Sundiver is maybe a bit simple (space detective) but I enjoyed the uplift trilogy a lot

ahwiles
    Free Member

just finished ‘consider phlebas’- the first (?) culture novel.

are they all that bad?

anyway, i enjoyed ‘the forever war’

Northwind

Reynolds can’t do pacing imo. 1/10th is too rushed, 9/10ths takes too long. The lighthugger chase scene in Absolution Gap, aaargh. 100 pages of “Wait… time passes”. And don’t start me on greenfly, right, because I will totally lose it and it’s really unseemly.

Which is a shame because some of it’s absolutely brilliant. Golden age ideas and hard black sf logic. I just wanted more Clavain, more Nostalgia For Infinity, less endless dreary nothing.

IdleJon

ahwiles – Member

just finished ‘consider phlebas’- the first (?) culture novel.

are they all that bad?

anyway, i enjoyed ‘the forever war’

I re-read Consider Phlebas a few months ago and while it was ok (I thought), it wasn’t a patch on his last few Culture novels.

+1 on The Forever War.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘The best/your favourite Sci fi books?’ is closed to new replies.