• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The best way to carry….
  • Handsomedog
    Free Member

…a 17″ workstation on the bike!?

I’m changing locations in August and moving over the Yorkshire. I will be riding somewhere between 10 and 15 miles to get into our Leeds office and will be able to work from home on occasion.

I would prefer not to carry the monster laptop on my back so what recommendations do people have for a decent saddle bag or pannier? plus the usual work paraphernalia etc etc

soma_rich
    Free Member

Good rack and a pannier with a waterproof liner and outer.

binners

GrahamS

I would prefer not to carry the monster laptop on my back

Carry a smaller laptop and use an external monitor at work/home?

That’s what I do. 14 inch Dell Latitude chucked in my Carradice SQR Slim with a change of clothes. Monitor, keyboard and mouse at work, another set at home.

IA

14″ is still massive…

but whatever, pannier FTW. Once you get used to it you’ll not go back to a bag. I use one just for my lunch etc. it’s just easier!

As above tho, get a decent rack, and decent waterproof pannier.

binners

I used to regularly carry a 17″ Macbook into the office. I use a Tucano backpack very similar to this

The Range Incase ones look good for carrying a bit more stuff

GrahamS

14″ is still massive…

“…that’s what she said.”

Yeah, it is still big enough to work on without an external monitor, but crucially it is small enough to fit into my Carradice bag.

ChrisI

Another vote for the Carradice here 🙂

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Downgrading my laptop to a smaller size is not an option. Doesn’t look like carradice do a big enough saddle bag, although that had been my hoped-for option.

Any thoughts on a standard pannier with insert over a purpose built commuter pannier?

soma_rich
    Free Member
    scaled
    Free Member

i have a pair of these and drag my laptop home occasionally, used every day for usual work gubbins.

The laptop still works and has been used through the Manchester winter – doesn’t get much wetter than that

IA

I used a std. pannier (no pockets etc, just one big waterproof sack) and then my (at the time, 15″ MBP) laptop in a sleeve in that, and a bit of foam wedged in the bottom, and against the back for a bit of padding. Seemed to work ok for a year or so.

Pannier is totally waterproof too, which is handy. Pockets etc. in the pannier reduce capacity, and you can always chuck another bag in the pannier if you need them/it. Also one big pannier gives more flexability for unusual loads/shopping on the way home etc.

Get one with a good quick release mechanism though (Rixen and Kaul klik-fix is good). Mine’s an Altura waterproof thing they don’t make any more (cheap ortileb copy basically).

EDIT: looks pretty like this:

Been going strong 5 years or so, as has my partner’s identical one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The best way to carry….’ is closed to new replies.