Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • The Best thing that's happened to a bike since front suspension?
  • G.R.F.-spam
    Free Member

Is another button they appear to have fitted to my new built Covert which makes the seat post
    go up and down on demand, hadn’t had time to play with it fully before some bastard nicked it to go do a demo with, but it must be an aftermarket item made by somebody..

I want it back and I want it now, what a blinding device, who it’s made by I’ve no idea yet, I’m going to stick with my old bike for a bit longer because I love the Hammerschmidt, but I need that post thing already..

Just got to have it.

chiefgrooveguru

Gravity Dropper FTW.

lunge

The Best thing that’s happened to a bike since front suspension?

Disk brakes. There are many other tings that have improved but reliable, powerful disk brakes have made a huge difference to my riding.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hydraulic disc brakes without a doubt!
    Consistent barking performance regardless of weather conditions, massively extended rim life, virtually maintenance free and oodles of power. What more could you ask for?

bajsyckel

Disc brakes are the best mtb ‘invention’ since inflatable tyres.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Consistent barking performance

no argument with that
    WOOF WOOF

ilovemygears
    Free Member

duel control shifters, there amazing, now i can change gear properly.

Stoner
    Free Member

Consistent barking performance

no argument with that
    WOOF WOOF

throwing stones in your greenhouse JY? 😉

scaredypants

SPDs, surely ? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

ah shit I walked straight into that one 😳

yossarian
    Free Member

haven’t really decided about uppy downy seatposts. I reckon they are the sort of thing that becomes useful once you’ve used it for a bit.

disc brakes are the biggest leap forward imo

chvck
    Free Member

Me.

Nah, not really.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm I don’t recall stopping being any problem with rim and centre pull brakes

I bloody well do! Hells bells!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

rockshox reverb post OP

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

Gravity Dropper FTW.

absolute horse poop! unreliable and take away the challenge of descending…

i should know i had one, endless problems, ditched it, never looked back and now very very rarely even drop the seat for mega steep stuff….its way more fun and challenging, having a dropper post literally is CHEATING. Im glad ive seen the error of my ways….

and to people who state – well i dont have to stop every two mins to drop my post etc etc blah blah…yeh great, but unless you ride alone, what about all your pals who dont have one? and you have to wait for them anyways?

as above – its disc brakes….

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP do you do most of your riding in a cave?

jhw
    Free Member

rarely even drop the seat for mega steep stuff….its way more fun and challenging

Surely that is basically saying “riding with bad technique is way more fun and challenging”…

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s a RS one.

So how did you go about getting that lovely bike nicked??

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jhw – Member

rarely even drop the seat for mega steep stuff….its way more fun and challenging

Surely that is basically saying “riding with bad technique is way more fun and challenging”…

😆 how exactly do you work that out?

dropping your seat to the top tube is the easy way out surely?? the fact you can ride the same thing with a seat up means you have more skill….the dropper posts are skill compensators for most people…it gives a better sense of gravity and your feet are clearly closer to the ground should it go wrong…with your seat up you have to rely on your own skill to descend, and if you get it wrong your buggered not being as close to the groud…

thats how i see it, ive noticed since ive gone back to a normal seat ive enjoyed the challenge more…

a dropper seat post is hardly revolutionary compared to say disc brakes that perform consistently throughout…

anyways dont wanna argue fella, its cool people disagree, ive owned both and thats my personal view, other people will have theirs, just dont think they are next best thing since suspension really…each to there own, peace out 8)

Ringo
    Free Member

29″ wheels

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve always been quite a big lad and the braking defiantly went pear shaped in the winter months. Much prefer a good set of disks, pretty much maintenance free from one year to the next and quick release really does mean quick release.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bloody well do! Hells bells!

+1

Trimix
    Free Member

GRF, Ive had a custom build Covert now for 8 months. Its got the Hammerschmitd and Reverb – I love the Hammerschmidt and since fitting the uppy downy I cant stop using it.

I would be interested as to what pressures you run in your suspension.

As to the original question – since Front suspension, well depends what came after front suspension really. SPD’s were before, so for me its probably Disc Brakes or an uppy downy post. But we shouldnt forget improved frame geometery. Just try riding an old bike, its horrible.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh and mechanisms for dropping seatposts are older than suspension and disc brakes:

pastcaring
    Free Member

love my dropper, doesn’t suit everyone but i guess it depends what and where you ride.
    was surprised how often i use it.

yes a little extra fettling but there’s **** all on the telly…

“rarely even drop the seat for mega steep stuff….its way more fun and challenging and slower”

fify

jhw
    Free Member

No no, I see your point! There is a certain satisfaction in getting down the gnarly stuff with your seat right high.

Jumping with it up is sketch, though 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

Things like 29″ wheels and geomettry are just evolution. Discs are a REAL revolution. If someone thought centre pulls are as good as hydro brakes then they either never rode in the wet or are trolling.

richmtb

Anything thats techy enough for me to need to drop the post I’ll probably want to have a quick look at anyway. So a QR does the job.

Disc Brakes are definitely “the best thing since front suspension”

The reason you feel confident having a go at the techy descent with your saddle down is because of the reliable stopping power and control of discs

chiefgrooveguru

There’s a certain satisfaction in managing to ride a Brompton offroad. Or not crashing after hitting black ice in the car. Or managing to not die after lawnmowering through its power line. Or managing not to fall down the Grand Canyon after tripping over whilst admiring the view…

I like my Gravity Dropper because it puts the saddle up, not down. Without it I rode with my saddle low for enjoying the downs and suffering the ups, rather than being restricted on the downs and suffering the ups (but getting them over more quickly).

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice trolling, Oscillate 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Like pneumatic tyres take away the challenge of riding over bumps? Like tyre tread takes away the challenge of maintaining traction? The list goes on…

You are entirely correct that people have their own opinions on the matter; but you must be aware that you’re using spurious logic in an attempt to back yours up?

By being able to easily maintain a better position on my bike (by lowering the saddle on descents) means that I can go faster. By going faster, skills such as balance, handling, cornering, braking have needed to improve. Why attempt to develop the skill of avoiding a badly placed saddle, which also tends to leave me in a disadvantageous position, when I can develop generally applicable skills such as those listed above?

As to the OP, I’ll go with hydraulic disc brakes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers tom, no idea what that is but cheers all the same 8)

doof_doof
    Free Member

Disc brakes, followed by tubeless.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member

Like pneumatic tyres take away the challenge of riding over bumps? Like tyre tread takes away the challenge of maintaining traction? The list goes on…

You are entirely correct that people have their own opinions on the matter; but you must be aware that you’re using spurious logic in an attempt to back yours up?

By being able to easily maintain a better position on my bike (by lowering the saddle on descents) means that I can go faster. By going faster, skills such as balance, handling, cornering, braking have needed to improve. Why attempt to develop the skill of avoiding a badly placed saddle, which also tends to leave me in a disadvantageous position, when I can develop generally applicable skills such as those listed above?

i know, i enjoyed the easyness of dropping the post, and descending, it makes descending technical steep terriain ALOT easier, since ive had my normal one back ive found myself very rarely dropping it, and using my weight and the likes (leaning back etc) alot more and thinking about the lines i take and seeing past the next section…

with a dropper i just plonked it down, and bombed it away knowing i was only a brake away, and putting my feet down should the worst happen…

with your seat up in mostly climbing position, you simply cant do that, so you have to use your body to manouvere and adapt to whats ahead…that to me is where the skill comes in…

ps. im not on about descents on singletrack etc, im on about steep roll ins and very steep technical descents usually off piste etc….

i have no reason to diss them, i owned both and wouldnt go back to one now, im enjoyed the basics of the bike again, and its definitely improved my techical skill and thought process when descending..

they are good for what they do, but they are not revolutionary like suspension or disc brakes…

anyways im not just saying my point is correct, people WILL descend better from using them, and do more challenging stuff they didnt do before, and thats good….so to them it may be the next best thing since suspension….

but i firmly believe if you can ride very steep technical stuff with your seat at full climbing height, you have the basis of good technical skill….

at the end of the day thats why people get dropper posts is it not? to allow them to descend more technical things with a lower and thus easier way of descending? thats what i bought mine for anwyays…

tubeless is a good shout too! how did i forget that!

ziggy
    Free Member

Has to be GPS for me, as I am a man with no sense of direction.

Most of my rides are time limited so knowing where I am and how to get home via the quickest route is invaluable to me.

Discovering new trails is so much easier.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ahh, Tubeless – dont forget to read the threads about the poor tubeless chaps asking what compressor they need, or why they dont fit / seat / seal etc.

They dont quite seem to be as free from faf as disc brakes yet.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“The Best thing that’s happened to a bike since front suspension?”

Orange Five.

chiefgrooveguru

Actually I noticed that riding with my saddle down made my cornerning much better, so it isn’t just about descending steep things.

kimbers

camelbaks and bladders are good

glenh
    Free Member

I certainly never had much problem stopping with rim brakes. The need to replace pads every ride when it was wet is another matter, but the best thing since front suspension?
    Rear suspension of course! (although perhaps it could be argued it’s advent was not really after front suspension).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘The Best thing that's happened to a bike since front suspension?’ is closed to new replies.