Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The best road climbs wales has to offer! guide me STW
  • rents
    Free Member

I am struggling to find a good source for road climbs in wales and figured the good people on here would be able to help.
    Me and a mate are riding from Bull bay hotel in Amlwch, Anglesey to Rhoose south wales.
    We intend to do it in two days and want to smash in as many good road climbs as possible.
    standing by……

whitestone
    Free Member

Llanberis Pass
    Bwlch y Groes

mattsccm
    Free Member

Devils Staircase. East to West (ish) is best but the other way does the job.

roach

Rhigos and Bwlch down south.

snownrock

Devil’s elbow nr ystradfellte
    Black mountain from either end
    Bwlch and the Rhigos
    Many many more

jate
    Free Member

To some extent it depends on how much you are prepared to deviate from a north south route as the majority of the best climbs in North & Mid-Wales are east west rather than north south (unlike South Wales where they are north-south to get over the Brecons/Black Mountains).
    I’ve ridden pretty much every road climb in North & Mid-Wales over the years (less so the further south you get) so if you want ideas for a route, email me (mail in profile).

gwaelod
    Free Member

as above must do the Rhigos and the Bwlch if you are finishing in Rhoose-

Gospel Pass is probably a bit too far east for your route. Also the Tumble might be a bit too far east as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

Devil’s elbow nr ystradfellte

+1

Enjoyed the Rhigos too, quite long and shallow IIRC, so could be ridden at a decent speed.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Turn it into a long weekend rather than rush it.. You’ll be able to take in more

RustySpanner

The Fachwen from Llanberis to Dinorwic.

Then, keep going up through Dinorwic and follow the access road up to Marchlyn Mawr, then take the access road on the right.
    Eventually, when the road runs out, you’ll have climed virtually the entire height of Elidir Fawr.

Head back down and you’ve Llanberis Pass to go at next.

copa
    Free Member

Another steep one is Penheol Ely – it’s just off Taff Trail in Pontypool

rents
    Free Member

Three days might well be an option. I will sit down and plot a route this weekend then post it on here to get opinions. Keep the suggestions coming! It looks like it will be epic:0)

Nipper99
    Free Member

Black Mountain – Llandovery to Brynamman

DavidB
    Free Member

Horseshoe Pass and just about everything else around Llangollen

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If you’re doing Rhigos and the Bwlch you should try Maerdy mountain road too. Nice and steep heading out of Aberdare towards Maerdy.

whisky711
    Free Member

Beulah > Abergwesyn > Tregaron

https://goo.gl/maps/3BhW9WrWP9T2

Haze

+1 Devil’s Staircase, we did west to east which was pretty much two very sharp ramps.

Other direction is I believe the ‘classic’ way, I’ve. Milk race etc.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

…or the hardest?

🙂

Cwm Hirnant out of Bala N-S, lovely easier climb.

stever
    Free Member

Probably not on your way but Bwlch Penbarras is quite unpleasant

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Mountain Road out of Machynlleth heading for Llanidloes … pretty much 8 miles of up hill, that gets steeper the further you go.

montgomery
    Free Member

Do the ride S-N and take advantage of Devil’s Staircase and Bwlch y Groes going in the harder way, respectively E-W and S-N.The latter has a mental number of chevrons on it, giving some insight into the suffering it can entail.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of those valleys climbs are better south-north imo. They are longer and more interesting.

However you don’t have much choice in S Wales unless you want to take a huge detour. If you came up the A470 from Brecon you could divert over the top through Penderyn and then up Rhigos. Probably not the best route but like I say if you want to finish in Rhoose.

Although – if you stay to the West of Elan valley area, go through Tregaron, you’ve got a lot more options. A4069 to Brynamman is a lovely road then you could go to Ystradgynlais and the Rhigos that way.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Start from betws y coed head up to penmachno go towards cwm penmachno then over the top and down towards ffestiniog, you can climb up steep dead end road towards the manod quarry from here.
    Back down the road and head over to the tanygrisiau power station at Blaenau ffestiniog you can climb up to the stwlan dam from here. Back down up to Blaenau pass antur stiniog on the way up the crimea pass back to betws.
    Or an alternative have a look at the http://www.ffestiniog360.com charity sportive for a nice route or even better enter it

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The best road climbs wales has to offer! guide me STW’ is closed to new replies.