Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The best road bike pads you have used are..
  • tall_martin

Time for new break pads on my road bike.

Mostly it’s commuting miles, 4 miles to work up over a big hill in bottom gear and then 30mph down the other side.

What do/ would you run?

Tectro brakes on the bike if that makes a difference.

Cheers
    Martin

simondbarnes

Shimano

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Swiss stop blue

breninbeener

The best brakes i own are the last series of Shimano Dura Ace 10sp. The calioers are great and the standard pads are fantastic. I hear good stuff about the CoolStop blue, but i have never thought to change as shimano provide everything i want.

leeroysilk
    Free Member

I used to use Shimano DA on winter and summer bikes, past few years I only use Swiss Speed Blue.
    Braking performance is similar, very good. The DA pads seem to wear faster, most annoyingly I’d have to remove the pads frequently and dig out aluminium splinters using a Stanley blade. Never had to do that with the Swiss Speed pads.

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Wiggle Lifeline pads. I have found them to far better than Swissstops, great stopping power. . They are soft so they wear fast but at the price they are it does not matter, Its better that  the pads wear not the rims.

velocipede
    Free Member

SwissStop – the green ones – very good indeed and not harsh on rims, so worth the investment in my book.

matt_outandabout

People use rim brakes still?

How quaint.

😉😜

chakaping
    Free Member

Shimano Ultegra, but Kool Stop Salmons were a huge improvement in the Tekro calipers on my winter bike.

OK I haven’t used the (more expensive) Swiss Stops, but then I’ve had no need to.

13thfloormonk

Swissstop BXP (the blue ones). I’m sure if more people used these with even half decent callipers then there would be far less demand for disc brakes, low noise, low mess, low wear, excellent braking in the dry and still adequate braking in the worst conditions (e.g. roads streaming with snowmelt).

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF lads, disc-avoider 13FM has to be the expert 🙂

Matt-not all of us replace bikes frequently.

tall_martin

Thanks all!

I’ve ordered some blue swiss stop pads and will see how they go 🙂

tall_martin

I tried the blue Swiss stops yesterday.

They were amazingly better compared to the pads that were on before. More breaking for less effort.

Thanks for the recommendations : )

SaxonRider

I bought the blue SwissStops in light of this thread @tall_martin, and I agree with you. Granted, it hasn’t rained since I put them on, but so far so brilliant!

tall_martin

Glad it’s helped others : )

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also worth getting the SwissStop rim cleaning block, I’m sure it’s little better than IPA and elbow grease but it does make a difference, at least for as long as it stays clean anyway.

MoreCashThanDash

SwissStop

ransos
    Free Member

Swissstop BXP (the blue ones). I’m sure if more people used these with even half decent callipers then there would be far less demand for disc brakes, low noise, low mess, low wear, excellent braking in the dry and still adequate braking in the worst conditions (e.g. roads streaming with snowmelt)

They’re good, but not a patch on my Hope calipers 😏

simondbarnes

I assumed disc brake, if I’d known they were rim brake then I’d have said Swiss Stop BXP 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Fibrax red are amazeballs, don’t last very long, but yey gods they stop you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The best road bike pads you have used are..’ is closed to new replies.