Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 203 total)
  • The Best Outdoorsy Town In The UK?
  • agent007
    Free Member

Okay, I’m looking for the best outdoor town in the UK. Somewhere with an outdoorsy outlook, where there’s good surfing, windsurfing, mountain biking, climbing, hill walking etc close by. Somewhere with lots of outdoor’s type people and a vibrant and friendly outdoor community/scene. But, somewhere that’s not too cut off from the rest of the UK.

Need your suggestions please, backed up with solid reasons why your suggestion could be the best.

So then, fire away . . . .

ahwiles
    Free Member

Bristol.

i’m inclined to suggest Sheffield, but you listed your surf-sports first, so you’d probably need slightly better access to a beach.

mendips, south wales, north devon, and more, all on the doorstep.

the answer is Bristol – they’ve even got jobs.

Stoner
    Free Member

Machynlleth

EDIT: oh, right, reasons.

1) mountainbiking in mid/north wales natch
    2) hill walking mid wales.
    3) near the sea. No idea if there’s any surfing.
    4) lovely old market town with some proper independant shops, cafes, nice pubs etc.

Not too cut off as you’re on a couple of main roads back to civilisation 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

San Fran Bristol (assuming ‘town’ also includes ‘city’).

Proximity to the south-west for outdoors stuff. Great trails within ten minutes of the city centre. Superb pubs/music/cultural scene. Hideous traffic.

martinhutch

This is the town equivalent of ‘moon on a stick’ threads. I’m struggling to think of anywhere that fulfills all of your requirements. Shoehorning in the surfing requirement is the biggest problem.

Which of those requirements are the most important, and which the least?

jet26
    Free Member

Depending on how important surf is Sheffield.

Decent size city, lots going on, easy to get to Wales Scotland London manchester for hols near and far.

Great mtb and walking and you can ride out to peak off road from town. Plus you have warncliffe if you like loony dh.

Also has a great hospital when stuff goes wrong!!

PJ266
    Free Member

I would say Aberystwyth but its fairly out of the way.

Surf can be good, either at the harbour trap or Borth/Ynyslas. The walking and riding is great though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Shoehorning in the surfing requirement is the biggest problem.

no, it’s easy.

Bristol.

Stoner
    Free Member

PJ266, given how close Mach is to Aber I think you get the best of the coast at Mach, but it’s a much nicer town.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well the best outdoorsy town in the UK is clearly Aviemore. The surfing and windsurfing might not be fantastic but the coast isn’t that far away.

PJ266
    Free Member

Bristol’s too far from the Surf (for me, no idea about the OP)

franksinatra

Edinburgh if after a big town. Pentlands on the doorstep, easy access to bigger hills north (highlands etc) and south (lake district)

World class riding in Borders, trail centres and natural.

Lots of windsurfing and other wet type stuff in the sea (not an expert here)

Loads of busy clubs and forums

A few jobs kicking around and plenty of ‘out of town’ options if don’t like city living.

and of course, all of the above will be much better, bigger and better when Wee Eck takes full command. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Skipping the surf Keswick/Cockermouth

martinhutch

I’ll give it a stab then – Cardiff

Gower Peninsula/Rest Bay etc for surfing, Gower/Pembroke/S Wales mountain cragging, Hill walking Brecon Beacons. Stacks of good riding. I daresay if you visit the local climbing walls there will be a community of outdoorsy types. Cardiff itself is a reaasonable city, lively, not as bad as Swansea, couple of hours on the train from London.

binners

London. Everyone knows its the absolute centre of ****ing everything 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cardiff is great location wise. It’s just that it’s, well, y’know, Cardiff.

binners

The Northern Riviera

jam-bo

Bodmin. 8)

tomd
    Free Member

Wick. The Paris of the far north.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Brighton

gogg
    Free Member

Llanberis, biking, climbing, whitewater kayaking, sea kayaking, surfing, slate mines, winter mountaineering, hillwalking. Friendly locals!

😉

martinhutch

Llanberis, Friendly locals!

There’s an alliance of words I thought I’d never see. 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

Gibralta

zippykona

Barnstaple area.

messiah
    Free Member

Unfortunately Aberdeen is a long way from anywhere. It is supposed to be a happy a place to live, although if you ask a local apparently “It’s a’ a loada shite”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, Binners, as it happens…..

Good riding on your doorstep (Chilterns, Surrey Hills, etc), and access to a variety of airports to take you to lovely shiny places to surf, ride, sail etc.

Of course, you’ll need money, but you can just hoover it up off the streets round here. Paved with gold, innit.

🙂

Mach is a good call, actually. Lovely little place. Brizzle/Cheltenham/Bath/Cardiff/Severn borders area also worth a look, as there’s lots around and easy access to the water as well.

warton
    Free Member

NEWCASTLE 🙂

MTB trails in all diretions (bit of a drive, granted)great road biking on your doorstep, south, west or north

Tynemouth, whitburn, Berwick for surfing. Duridge bay for windsurfing, there’s climbing around, cheviots for hill walking

TPTcruiser

Seaside towns with a bit of surf and country access?
    Scarborough
    Bournemouth
    Connectedness means you’d choose Bournemouth, there may be some old folk in the region so allow time at those pedestrian crossings.

jfletch
    Free Member

Sheffield.

If you want to live properly near (i.e. 10 min drive, nip to the beach for lunch type nearby) to great surf then you mostly have to sacrafice your “somewhere that’s not too cut off from the rest of the UK” requirement. So either become a surf bum and move to Cornwall or live somewhere that enables you to access the rest of your activities from your door and drive to the surf.

You can drive to the Scarbrough, Robin Hoods Bay area for a day trip from Sheffield for some surfing but everything else you want is on your doorstep (as in walk/ride from your door, no driving at all) and you are bang slap in the middle of the country for when you want to travel further afield.

kja78
    Free Member

Swanage/Isle of Purbeck surely has to be in contention?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

*Looks out of window*
    3 crags, lots of hills and can nearly see the coast, can walk to the train station, with a direct train to London. Its quiet and yet has a very good MTB scene, can ride to my local trail centres.
    Where ? well I’m not telling I want to keep it this way dont want any Townies here 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

Portsmouth

franksinatra

3 crags, lots of hills and can nearly see the coast, can walk to the train station, with a direct train to London. Its quiet and yet has a very good MTB scene, can ride to my local trail centres.
    Where ? well I’m not telling I want to keep it this way dont want any Townies here

Is it Slough?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got to be either the North East England or South Wales, ignoring the South West England for being too remote.

Only problem is the surfing, the north sea is f****** cold and the swell isn’t very consistent (but at least the offshore wind is), so it’s just a case of waiting for any swell.

What about jobs? Double edged sword that easily transferable skills or undskilled jobs you can move anywhere, but not everywhere has a surplus of those jobs (ruleing out NE england, or S.Wales). Whereas skilled jobs might be limited in the places you can go with them (e.g. engineering in the NE or S.Wales, but not smaller towns) .

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Aviemore, you’ll rapidly forget about the rest of the UK.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

After visiting last year I would nominate Brecon as near the top of the list of places I would happily move to.

agent007
    Free Member

So Bristol seems to have featured a bit on here? Must be a reason for that?

Dales_rider – Member

*Looks out of window*
    Where ? well I’m not telling I want to keep it this way dont want any Townies here

Come on – spill the beans, or at least a clue?

Barnstaple – anyone live there?

mc2
    Free Member

Fort William or Aviemore.

grum
    Free Member

Hebden Bridge innit. That’s why I moved there. 🙂

Apart from the surfing and windsurfing bit.

Aviemore is horrible IMO. Keswick is pretty sweet.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Dulverton. Because it is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 203 total)

The topic ‘The Best Outdoorsy Town In The UK?’ is closed to new replies.