Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • the best mtb film… life cycles
  • crossman553
    Free Member

This is well worth a watch if you can find the full version.
    this is just the trailer.

enjoy

cfinnimore
    Free Member

So super high quality, there’s a bit where a rider goes over a tree…

Get’s me up & out every single time.

crossman553
    Free Member

Found part one here….

http://youtu.be/x4dQGFxUM2o

Some pretty coool video.

Northwind

The trailer’s not bad. But the film disappeared up its own bum.

grum
    Free Member

It has some truly incredible riding/cinematography but quite pretentious and (as with nearly all bike videos) too much slow motion, especially of jump shots.

crossman553
    Free Member

Take the time to watch pt1 or especially pt 2.. it might not be every ones cuppa tea but it works for me 😀

crossman553
    Free Member
    idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Got to say, I preferred Follow Me tbh..

Now VAST, that’s good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just forget the fake pshyco babble and enjoy the riding

Northwind

Ah, I almost let a mtb video thread pass without recommending Vast. Go and watch Vast. It’s cheap on Itunes. I’m afraid it isn’t filmed entirely in slow motion though, and has no ponderous voiceovers.

crossman553
    Free Member

Just watched a clip of VAST on u tube looks pretty good.
    I like watching life cycles for its cinematography or what eva you call it?

faz083
    Free Member

I actually liked the commentary on life cycles, really got me thinking.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Being the epic fanboi that I am, I like Life Cycles for different reasons on different days, but the voiceover still tries too hard.

My current favourite is From The Inside Out…
    Always, always gets me “stoked totally super-rad”.

Stevie Smith & Gee at the end of Follow Me.
    Sam Hill in 3MG.
    Seasons start to end is the only video I can’t play devils advocate with because it’s so awwwwesooome.

FWIW Strength In Numbers got watched twice and forgotten sooner. Which surprised me.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

FFS, it took me under 10 seconds to decide to buy VAST.

Well done Northwind!

:mrgreen: pocket money gone.

smiff
    Free Member

the intro to that, in the bike factory, reminded me of the intro to the Ali G Show. this is not good. but the end of that clip, one rider carving s-turns in the forest, is beautiful.
    has there been a parody mtb movie yet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Big plus for lifecycles

we don’t have to listen to someone who has clearly hit their head too many times telling us how rad it all is

martinxyz
    Free Member

The music puts me off watching it. This,along with slow motion action of 360’s and supermen (in 2012) will never trick me into thinking its a great mtb film.

Like I said,its 2012. Have a flick through what the world of bmx is like right now and try going back to watching mtb vids of people doing bmx tricks from 89. Nice with a mug of Ovaltine if you want to get to sleep quicker but its not for me. I do love the high quality of it,though. Only I wish it was wildlife in slow motion I was watching.

atlaz
    Free Member

I went to the cinema to watch this as the main feature. Before it was the Danny Mac video Way Back Home which was released that day and after was Vast by Ionate films.

The general consensus was that Lifecycles was beautiful and probably a good film to get non-bike people to appreciate biking films but that the Danny MacAskill vid beforehand was more impressive and the riding in Vast more inspiring. That said, Vast still is one of my favourite films for just wanting to get out and ride. There’s not much by way of big names or massive hucks but the riding feels “real”.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I love Life Cycles for it’s ability to get me wanting to ride.

However VAST is a much better film all round, and is probably one of the most under rated MTB films ever.

Thanks for the link for the cheap iTunes VAST, I’ve just bought it, as I’d not got it, even though it’s one of my most watched! 🙂

crossman553
    Free Member

I still love watching… Seasons by the Collective.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I didn’t really enjoy life cycles. Dissappeared up it’s own bottom pretty quickly. Follow me is a far, far better bike film. As is Vast.

MSP

I still love the “earthed” films, best soundtracks to mtb films by far, follow me had good bits as did seasons.

Like many I get tired of the bad philosophising in many of the mtb films, and the speaking bits by most of the riders are just embarrassing, just let the landscape and the riding speak for itself.

ononeorange

Hmmm. The above encouraged me to buy Vast but the DVD is 22 quid on Amazon. I think I’ll wait a bit (unless anyone wants to sell one?) 😀

rewski
    Free Member

If you want something a bit closer to home and less gnar then Find and Home are great films, both by reset.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another vote for the Gee Atherton & Steve Smith section of Follow Me. Proper riding, should be more sections like it in films. I think there is too much emphasis on backflip / tailwhip slow-mo’s in most films (though of course understand them being included).

flange
    Free Member

I didn’t enjoy lifecycles at all, watched it the first time and got bored halfway through, thought it might be a ‘grower’ but even now I don’t think I’ve ever watched it in one sitting. Dull

I like the instant gratification of something like New World Disorder 10. Semenuks section (with Muse as the sound track) is ace, as is Graham Agassiz’s section with Phoenix. Proper boss

rewski
    Free Member

Another vote for the Gee Atherton & Steve Smith section of Follow Me

This scene works really well with the music, as does the night dirt jump scene.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Yep another one for the

Gee Atherton & Steve Smith section of Follow Me

section here out of Follow Me. In fact, that’s pretty much the only bit I watch really, apart from the Brendog section.

crossman553
    Free Member

rewski.. I like the look of the find/home. nice to see something a little closer to home.

I suppose i like the more subtle mtb vids, i live in Suffolk so the closest thing i have to downhill are the steps outside my house 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

Hmmm. The above encouraged me to buy Vast but the DVD is 22 quid on Amazon. I think I’ll wait a bit (unless anyone wants to sell one?)

It’s really cheap on iTunes.

rewski
    Free Member

@ crossman553 – there’s still plenty of gravity riding in them so not too subtle, Find features Danny Mac, Peaty and Hans Rey riding together in Scotland 😉

crossman553
    Free Member

rewski. do you know where i could buy/download home?

rewski
    Free Member
    Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Whilst I think of it, and buying VAST from iTunes, Virtuous is bloody good too.

I actually reckon its better than VAST.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks for the link for the cheap iTunes VAST

+1

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Home. Still love it, always affirms why I love living in this country.

atlaz
    Free Member

The thing I like about Vast and Virtuous is that these are basically just blokes doing something they’re passionate about (not saying Anthill etc aren’t passionate). They don’t have big names because those are booked for shooting a year or more ahead of time and they don’t travel the globe to film because they don’t have the money. After Virtuous they went back to their day jobs before saving money to make Vast.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Yep another one for the
    Gee Atherton & Steve Smith section of Follow Me

+2
    Favorite section of any MTB film.

AlexSimon

One thing you can say about Life Cycles though, is that the Blu-Ray is reference quality in picture quality. Absolutely stunning.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Agreed on the Blu-Ray/HD version of Life Cycles – is amazing to look at.

Soundtrack is good too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘the best mtb film… life cycles’ is closed to new replies.