Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • The best manufacturers of a particular component – and why…
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Over the years I seem to have settled on a particular set of components and when frame swap time happens, I take them up to the new frame, renewing them where necessary.
    To me, they are the bits that have performed best over my riding history.

Chain: was Sedis way back and now SRAM (cheapest 10 speed variant at the moment). Never had a breakage and never seen a breakage during my shop days. Easily the best and strongest ‘magic link’ system.

Cranks: Shimano SLX M660. Fitted with Shimano steel rings 24/38 and nylon outer chain ring guard. Been on 3 bikes so far. Not much heavier than XTR. Despite many crank end strikes, still look reasonably fresh. The graphics have NOT rubbed off!

Rims: anything by Notubes. Almost no bead seating failures using only a track pump. They are also very light. Geax AKA was the only tyre to need a compressor.

Hub/spokes: Hope or Superstar using J-bend spokes. Working in cycle retail, one of my regular tasks was to find a straight spoke to replace someone’s broken one. Always a faff and a two week wait. J-bend spokes were usually replaced while the customer waited. (I worked in a ‘major’ family-owned group of stores)

Gear shifting system: SRAM 1:1. Using full cable outer, never a missed shift or ‘going out of alignment’. Even the cheapest versions work flawlessly.

So what are your ‘must have’ components that are always on your bike? And why…?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SRAM drive train, grip shift why does nobody else get it

tpbiker
    Free Member

grip shift why does nobody else get it

I didn’t like the idea ..until i tried it on my new bike…wow its ace. Not sure if id want it for my bigger bike, but for XC mincing its brilliant

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    avdave2

Hubs – Son at the front Rohloff at the back.
    An annual oil change for the Rohloff has been the only maintenance either has had in 9 years on an off road all year round commuter.

stevied
    Free Member

Thomson bits wherever I can.
    Currently stem, elite dropper and seatpost collar. It works very well, never had any issues with it and I like the engineered look of them.

kudos100
    Free Member

The things I almost never change are: KMC chains, Shimano drivetrain and brakes, renthal bars.

I’ve had other chains and sram and they are not as good. I will never have sram again after my current experience. Renthal bars have the perfect shape.

ton

shimano deore runs forever.
    gripshift user too. ace stuff.
    brooks saddles.

ahwiles
    Free Member

pedals: wellgo.

they offer a wide choice of shapes, they’re cheap, and the few pairs i’ve got are apparently indestructible.

sten1
    Free Member

dual control shifters… my new bike will be going 9 speed just so i can keep them. run them with a normal rear mech, works much better.

hatter

There are certain this I almost reflexively buy when I’m building a new bike, don’t really look beyond them now.

Oury Lock-On Grips
    Thomson Stems (Although my new trail bike has a Gamut.
    SKS Mudguards
    Chris King Headsets

Gore Rideon cables used to part of this list but now my is stash down to my last few sets, sad times.

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano brakes these days, fo sho.

Specialized helmets

Oakley glasses

China for carbon rims

Generally I’m open minded, I can think of plenty of things I ‘prefer’ or are my default choice, and would choose by preference if buying new, but certainly wouldn’t get rid of something I had because it was ‘wrong’ – DT spokes, Mt Zoom handlebars etc.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Maxxis tyres because nothing else gets close to being reliable.

Shimano HTII cranks because they are simple and work.

Shimano spd pedals because they are bomproof and keep going despite getting abused.

Hope hubs and Stans rims agreed.

Shimano Zee clutch mech for chain retention and chain slap silence.

leffeboy

wipperman connex for chain links – easy peasy every time
    Shimano for twist shift on children’s bikes – much lighter on the hands than sram
    Leffe Royale for fridge stock beer – always tasty
    Bialetti stove top coffe maker – looks good even when it gets old and works well

benji
    Free Member

Thomson for seatposts, adjust nicely, and so far seem robust.

ESI grips, still grippy even when it’s wet, and so far wearing well.

Gripshift is great, it’s big winter mitten friendly.

chestrockwell

Thomson for stem/post/dropper.

Hope for brakes/hubs.

Easton for bars.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Some nice ones there.

Pedals: Shimano M530. Got 3 sets, one on each bike plus one set spare. They just work. Commuting-wise they allow rapid clip in and spin without any fluffing.

Tyres: Maxxis Minion as my go-anywhere training/general use tyre. Specialized Renegade S-Works if I’m being ‘competitive’. They’re surprisingly grippy and ‘kin light! Both tyres go up with just a trackpump on Notubes rims.

Bialetti stove-top coffee maker – I take mine camping! It won’t fit on a Trangia so it has it’s own special stove!

Footwear: Shimano MT91 Boots. The pinnacle of SPD back-country footwear. Bomb-proof, grippy when off the bike, comfy, warm, dry (when water doesn’t drip down into them!). Tough (for when I hit my feet on rocks and stuff when careering down lumpy trails)

Jacket: Paramo Velez Smock. Keeps me warm, cool and dry (as long as the DWR is refreshed often). £4.50 from a charity shop!

Eyewear: Oakley Fast Jacket XL. Like M-Frame without the dorky looks.

chestrockwell

Oh, and Shimano gears/pedals.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

sten1 – Member

dual control shifters… my new bike will be going 9 speed just so i can keep them. run them with a normal rear mech, works much better.

This, have one set on the Ht and another brand new set waiting to go on the new FS bike 🙂

Easton Bars, Oh and anything by Thomson!

nickc

Easton bars, I think my arms are now pretty much Easton shaped!! and ODI ruffian grips.

gloves: Has to be Troy Lee XC

mike_p
    Free Member

Specialized lids, shoes + gloves

Off road:
    SDG Bel Air RL saddles
    Thomson stem + post
    Easton bars
    Shimano XT drivetrain

On road:
    Conti tyres + tubes
    Look Keo pedals
    Shimano Ultegra drivetrain

Andy

Off road:
    SDG Bel Air RL saddles
    Thomson stem + post
    Easton bars
    Shimano XT drivetrain

And Time pedals 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

After many years of buying tat I’ve had it nailed for my last few bikes-

Forks- Rockshox.
    Gears- Shimano.
    Cranks- Race Face.
    Saddles- SDG.
    Pedals- Shimano.
    Rims- Stans (though I currently run Easton, which are also fine).
    Brakes- Shimano (I do have a rule for everything apart from hubs- if it’s not Shimano then it’s shite)
    Bits- Race Face

The one that I struggle with is hubs. Shimano cup and cone is fiddly, Hope are heavy and the freehubs get munched. Easton go through bearings quickly. Superstar are pure evil. I had some Stan’s hubs and they were good, though.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member

The one that I struggle with is hubs

Thats easy Chris King or DT Swiss 240 nothing else comes close!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Shimano – Drivetrain, pedals and brakes – They work and are reliable
    Maxxis – tyres

munrobiker
    Free Member

Thats easy Chris King or DT Swiss 240 nothing else comes close!

OK, affordable hubs!

ton

xt hubs run forever, and take 10 mins to service.

superleggero
    Free Member

Thomson seatposts and stems – superbly made with a bulletproof finish. Strength and lack of any flex. Super reliable and always look good.

Shimano gears – Well made and tough as old boots. Great shifting, ergonomic and easy to work on when required. Plenty of spares availability.

Shimano brakes – reliable, plenty of power, easy to bleed and no nasty DOT fluid to contend with. Price is also surprisingly good when compared to some other (arguably lesser) competitors.

ODI Grips – Original and best. Squidgy Ruffian prefered for all day rides. Excellent spares availability too.

POWA Dfender front mudguard – superbly made to measure for Fox and RS forks. Fit like a glove and they just work. Well thought out compared to some of the Heath Robinson contraptions with zip ties and elastic bands.

Specialized Saddles – they fit my (ample) derriere very well. The search for a comfortable saddle stopped here with me.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Hope hubs seem pretty bombproof my rear bulb hub is getting on for 15 years old now.
    Easton Bars
    Thompson stuff in general
    KMC chains
    WTB saddles
    CK headsets, another everlasting product.

chakaping
    Free Member

Shimano for chainsets, SLX particularly.

Light, strong, easy to fit/remove and available cheaper than most of the inferior rivals.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’d like some new wheels for my commuter, because i’m a tart.

However, my current wheels run on cheapo 475 shimano hubs (even cheaper than deore). I serviced them once, when they were only 1 year old (5000km), and i packed them with grease.

Now i wish i hadn’t because they seem up for the fight, and now 10,000km later, they still run beautifully. They just won’t die, or even seem to start getting old.

15,000km from hubs that you can buy for £20. I have no doubt they’d double that with only a simple service if i wanted them to.

even the freehub still purrs nicely ffs.

Dickyboy

Shimano Centrelock rotors & rapid rise rear mechs – luv em

rocketman
    Free Member

Think Shimano have it sorted in terms of SPDs although I would like to see some competition from SRAM

Otherwise no real winners. Some brands put their name on anything simply to exploit a niche in the market. There’s no consistency

Northwind

Manufacturers or designers? Conti are probably the best tyre manufacturers but CST are probably the best designers. Or have the best designers submitting them designs anyway. SRAM might be the best gears ideas people but get beat in implementation and manufacture. Lezyne make beautiful badly thought out things, Topeak make adequate brilliantly thought out things. Mavic produce great stuff on some fairly ropey or ancient designs and concepts. And so on…

Formula best designers and manufacturers of brakes imo, when they produce a good one. Especially if you get a 2nd or later year version where they’ve sneaked in some rolling revisions 🙂 They;ve slightly surpassed the 2011 The One now, but nobody else has.

OK more handwaving. How do you define best? Hope pro 2s are definitely not the best hubs but it’s a massively succesful design, it does exactly what they want it to. Hope have nailed it with the cnc work as well, it’s an inferior production technique that they’ve convinced buyers is worth paying extra for and makes most superior forgings look basic and cheap. Clever stuff and makes a strength of their weakness.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Shimano cranks. Cheap, light, strong. You have to spend significantly more to get anything marginally better.

Hope brakes. They feel great and are easy to maintain. Spares easily obtainable.

XTR shifter. Spending money at this end rather than the mech end seems to have a better effect on shifting performance. I prefer Shimano shifters and mechs to Sram.

5:10 shoes. Now I’ve experienced the “grip” of riding in these I would hate to use anything less. Of course best complemented with some DMR Vaults 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

They;ve slightly surpassed the 2011 The One now, but nobody else has.

Loely to use, nightmare to live with and not very robust. Mavic hubs (crossmax) are also great to use but constant retightening of a preload nut is plain shit and something they need to get past (along with stupid narrow rims).

Shimano cranks. Cheap, light, strong. You have to spend significantly more to get anything marginally better.

XT cranks are the only constant for me. I’m not too attached to any other item.

coogan
    Free Member

Thomson bars, stems and seat posts.

ODI Rouges.

Chris King.

Hope Hubs.

Shimano brakes.

Are my go to bits.

Northwind

wrecker – Member

Loely to use, nightmare to live with and not very robust.

Do you have the 2010 version by any chance? The minor revisions for my2011 made them (ime) rock solid reliable- I’ve had 3 sets on the go in everything from a rigid xc bike to a dh bike and other than hose changes they’ve only ever needed new pads. Oh, I did break the alu bolts in a crash but they’re designed as breakaways so that’s fair enough.

coogan
    Free Member

Oh, and Maxxis. Can’t believe I forgot those.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do you have the 2010 version by any chance?

I don;t have any now, but it’s possible that the ones I did have were 2010.

Daffy

ton – Member
    xt hubs run forever, and take 10 mins to service.

But if you don’t service a CK hub, it stops working until serviced. If you don’t service an XT hub, it dies and cannot be repaired.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘The best manufacturers of a particular component – and why…’ is closed to new replies.