Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • The best full sus XC bike – advice needed
  • cubicboy
    Free Member

I have a hardtail but am beginning to get a bit tired of my creaky bones being thrown all over the place. I’m looking at getting a new bike: short travel; light; 29er; fast. I’m not expecting it to be cheap. Your input would be much appreciated. Ta.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s a Giant Anthem you want.

v666ern
    Free Member

Anthem, stupid quick

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, they’re right. Anthem.

Fast as a fast thing, and always feel like they’ve got a little more travel than they actually have!

Very much recommended.

arrpee
    Free Member

These may be of interest:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OykysYk0c68[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-H4554wgI[/video]

lennyhenry
    Free Member

Canyon Lux?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve got my 29er Anthem set up quite ‘trailly’ – reverb and 120mm forks, biggish tyres, wide bars. It’s a beast. Far more capable than me.

iainc

Having had an Anthem SX for 3 weeks I have to agree with above 😀 Still love my Soul but on my local stuff – tight techy singletrack, very rooty, the Anthem is miles faster and a good deal smoother !

They weigh the same and the Anthem climbs a treat. It is very forgiving even though same travel upfront

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good to hear, Ian! 😀

johnnystorm

Carbon Spearfish!

stoddys
    Free Member

Love my anthem 29er.
    You will never regret it

lee170
    Free Member

Specialized camber evo, short travel,29er fast

njee20
    Free Member

Epic if you want a light and fast Spesh, not Camber.

Superfly FS
    Spark
    Anthem

Try a few, buy the one you like. XX1 or M9000 group set, carbon wheels, light finishing kit. 20lbs or so on any of those if you spend enough.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Thanks… njee20 is closer to the mark ie lighter and with less travel. I very much like the S Works Epic; it’s a bit expensive tho 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

You could do worse than read the test of the anthem and spearfish in our host mag.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you are contemplating expensive also look at the Turner Czar – seems to get very favourable comments, whereas the Sultan has been critised for its longer chainstays.

Plus the bushings on Turners are rock solid and very maintenance friendly.

rsvktm

I race xc on a Trek superfly sl full sus, very happy with it. However if wasn’t racing and wanted a fast cross country bike, and had the money, I would get a ibis ripley frame and pimp it. Took one for a test ride and loved it.

Kryton57

You could do worse than read the test of the anthem and spearfish in our host mag.

Say what? Where?

Tis an Anthem you seek btw. Lighter than a spearfish, very capable, very fast so I’m told despite the fact I have one…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Epic then Anthem IME

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks… njee20 is closer to the mark ie lighter and with less travel. I very much like the S Works Epic; it’s a bit expensive tho

So what is the budget? Your OP implied it wasn’t an issue.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Njee20 – the budget is £6k. I did the recent Scott Marathon and wished that I had a light FS bike hence a bit of soul-searching.

njee20
    Free Member

Buy the Epic Elite, sell bits you don’t want, buy new bits. I’d change wheels, cranks, bar, stem, seat post as a starting point.

Or look at other options where you could do that sort of thing.

mark88

I used to have an ali Anthem and rode regularly with a mate on carbon Epic. Epic was lighter though obviously not a like for like comparison. Epic was faster climbing and on flats, feeling very solid like a hard tail. I found the Anthem had too much pedal bob unless locked out. Anthem was probably the better of the two downhill and more suited to trail centres where you may want something a bit less racy. Also expect to see several Anthems every time you leave the house. A mate raves about his Spark, which I would say is getting to the ‘trail’ end of the spectrum.

DT78
    Free Member

Another vote for an anthem. You don’t even need a super expensive one to be fast. I had an unfashionable 26er for a couple of years. I didn’t have a problem with pedal bob, was very fast up and down. Only issue I had with it used to get through shock bushes relatively fast and I had to do a full rebuild on the shock twice. I reckon this was because I was riding downhill just as fast as on my 6″FS.

I’d get a cheaper one, then replace the bits when they wear out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Another vote for an anthemany 100mm 29r XC bike. You don’t even need a super expensive one to be fast.

Fast comes from the rider 🙂 Coming from longer travel 26″ FS to 29″ XC bikes I noticed a nice pick up in pace.

Kryton57

I’m amazed someone got pedal bob they couldn’t cope with on an anthem. That’s a setup issue. And even with the shock setup soft the current CTD setting in T eliminates any bob for me, even when sprinting off a start.

£6k though gets you a lot of bike. If it’s a raw race bike go with NJEE’s advice. If – like me – you also want a trail bike stick with the Anthem IMO and keep the OEM wheels for training and playing on.

v666ern
    Free Member

Giant Anthem advanced then £5500 – carbon & SID’s you’ll find your limit WAY before its limit

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/anthem.advanced.27.5.0.team/19236/77327/#features

As above though, get the one though thats feels right to ride, oh and matches the paint job on your (im guessing) Q7 or Toureg? 😆 (just joshing its your money spend it as you see fit!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Imagine spending 5.5k and ending up with a Giant?. I’d be gutted!. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

especially as it doesn’t have proper XC wheels….

v666ern
    Free Member

😳

gits! 😆

Kryton57

Mine does 🙂

dyls

Ive just bought a secondhand anthem 29, really like it.

For £5/6k id go for something more boutique/custom build, a carbon tallboy or czar or similar.

Clink

Carbon Tallboy or Carbon Spearfish.

TheFlyingOx

If you can get over the looks, you’d have to try very hard to beat one of these:
    http://www.icanbike.dk/shop/eng/pronghorn-pr7xc-carbon-552p.html
    I’ve got one of their older 26″ carbon bikes and it still amazes me now how light and agile it is. The handling was a bit “razor’s edge” for my liking with the original DT Swiss 100mm fork so I stuck a 120mm on and it’s been tamed slightly, but still a total xc weapon.

iainc

On the cheap Anthem front, mine is the 27.5 SX model, which retails at 2K and can be had for a bit less. A capable and fast, light bike for the money, full SLX groupset

LeeW

Rocky Mountain Element always get good reviews.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was going to avoid the what I have thing but the element is a very nice bike and I’ve only got the 950 half/half

cubicboy
    Free Member

The Anthem is 27.5 and I deffo want a 29er. My riding is more XC-based than anything and the Anthem seems more trail-biased. Any thoughts on the Santa Cruz Tallboy (normal travel)? Thanks for the input so far.

martinhutch
    adsh
    Free Member

Say what? Where?

Issue 89 – summary page 124.

Anthem fastest, Spearfish most popular with testers. I got my spearfish for long distance at which it’s sublime and it’s none too shabby on XC either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘The best full sus XC bike – advice needed’ is closed to new replies.