Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • the best do it all full susser ??
  • norcosix
    Free Member

looking at getting a new fram but the bike needs to do all sorts from trail centres,fort william to the yearly trip to the alps.

my shorlist is alpine 160, orange five, nukeproof mega and a marin wolfridge.

whats everyones opinions ???

thanks

montylikesbeer

rickmeister

If your list was a bit longer, Mojo, Mojo HD

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Doug
    Free Member

Depends on so many things, how heavy you are, how smooth you are, how big you go, uplifts?, which tracks, how long are your all day rides, fit enough and willing to drag a bigger bike all the way round.

Will you run a second set of wheels, adjustable forks. Are you willing/mechanically competent enough to be switching shocks, offset spacers, forks.

norcosix
    Free Member

i am pretty technically minded and have been told i am pretty good with my hands in the past 😆

on a more serious note i was thinking a 5 with a 150 or 160 fork would be a sweet set up for it all.

steezysix
    Free Member

Transition Covert? Or, if you already have parts ready to on, how about getting a YT Wicked or Canyon Nerve and then selling the bits you don’t need?

Mugboo

I have just ditched an 09 Wolf Ridge for a Mega. I couldn’t get on with the Marin, it’s fun downhill but a draggy old bugger everywhere else. I tried to love it, but it was ruining my rides.

The Mega pedals well everywhere and still excels downhill. Lots of pedal strikes though, if that bothers you. It has 36 forks at 160mm & I don’t think you’d want to go lower. My riding mojo has returned 🙂

Having said that, I don’t think you’d be unhappy with a newer five but they are too dear for me…

All Terrain have an Orange Blood at £900 🙂

And if it’s a small Wolf Ridge you want, mine finishes on eBay tonight. Currently at £164.00 😉

Doug
    Free Member

I use a Prophet with AM wheels, a longer stroke shock and offset bushes to get it to play nice and slack with 160mm coil forks, I can also use lighter 130/140mm air forks with the original shock and spacers with a lighter set of wheels and tyres as an all day bike as the manufacturers intended.

AM setup 34lb
    XC setup around 30lb

2 bikes from 1 build but due to it being a trail frame and me being 18st I have to be shy away from the bigger DH jumps/drops. It would be fine landing properly but it wouldnt take me landing badly too often but thats what a DH bike is for.

Have to admit I also have a HT for proper epic day rideshich is where the shorter forks and lighter wheels normally live.

As mentioned above, if you can carry the weight/downhill is the fun bit for you then a 6″ bike like the Mega/Alpine 160 would be the way to go. If you enjoy climbing as much as descending and longer days in the saddle I’d go for a slightly lighter 5 style bike.

Northwind

I heartily recommend <bike that I own>

Nah, I genuinely do. Cotic Hemlock, stick a 2 degree slackener headset in it, big forks, sorted. Just in from 2 laps of glentress red- people’ll tell you 6 inch bikes with coil forks are “too much bike” to be fun on simpler trails, tis cobblers. Raced the No Fuss Endurance Downhill at Fort William last year, it carried me to a mid-table result- better at it than I am. Did a week in France, a fistful of UK enduro races, a chunk of the west highland way, god knows how many miles of pentlands XC and more trail centres than I can shake a broken swingarm at… And never less than fantastic at all of it.

All the bikes you name are mint, mind, honestly don’t think you’d regret any of them. I just like them less is all.

Mugboo

+ 1 for the Hemlock.

I loved mine. Nearly bought it back after riding the Wolf Ridge!

Mine had 100mm rear & the 36 forks. If you fancy a Hemlock in small, mines sat in my mates garage. He loved it but decided a medium was better suited.

In black, new bearings all round, 100mm & 160mm rockers with an RP3 shock.

superfli
    Free Member

Mugpoo, a few of my mates have WolfRidges (3) and one on an Attack Trail, and I certainly wouldn’t call it draggy. Climbing deceivingly well whenever I have ridden them. Nice and slack angles for the downs too.
    Mind you, I’m going to say Heckler, ’cause I have one 🙂 Maybe get 160 forks for it though

Northwind

Aye, people tend to build Wolfridges pretty heavy… Maybe because they’re fairly cheap to buy, so they get lots of similiarly inexpensive-but-bombproof stuff bolted on? Riding position always felt a bit far-forward to me but still, fab bikes.

Mugboo

maybe it was just a little too short? I’m a pretty decent climber but even with propedal on the damned cranks felt square.

Mugboo

Either way, the Mega climbs much better 🙂 As did my Hemlock.

All three built with the same kit but the Wolf Ridge had the forks spacered down to 140mm

fairhurst
    Free Member

I would wholeheartedly suggest a Mojo HD lovely looking machine and the handling of a mountain goat!

Popocatapetl

Trek remedy 9 2011 with DRCV Shock and the 2012 Fox Talas 36 RLC Fit 120 – 160mm with the “Carribean coating”. Fantastic bike if you can find a frame to bulid up… 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Heckler

honourablegeorge

Popocatapetl – Member

Trek remedy 9 2011 with DRCV Shock and the 2012 Fox Talas 36 RLC Fit 120 – 160mm with the “Carribean coating”. Fantastic bike if you can find a frame to bulid up…

Frame not warrantied for that fork, mind.

mildred

Hemlocks are no longer available, so perhaps the new Rocket??

Had an attack trail, which I bought because I had a quake, loved it but found it hard work for all round riding. The attack trail wasn’t my cup of tea – it’s a confused xc bike on stilts (my opinion of course) – it absolutely flies in the big ring though.

I bought a new 5 because I like my old one so much but didn’t get on with te new one – very good bike, just a bit bland compared to the old one.

I think if I was spending that kind of money again it would be a Nicolai AC.

Popocatapetl

Second hand so not warrantied anyway! If you can afford the “Carribean coating” you don’t worry about frames breaking Honourablegeorge 8)

takisawa2

I was fondling an Orange 5 in Swinnertons the other day. On paper really not my cup of tea at all, but I so wanted to haul it out the door & have a go. 🙂

So I’d get the 5.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Easy………….[/url] IMAG0111 by Konastoner, on Flickr[/img]

skywalker
    Free Member

Five

makkag
    Free Member

drop 10 mm and take a 5 spot ??

derekrides
    Free Member

+1 Transition Covert.

norcosix
    Free Member

i decided to go for a five with a set of 150mm forks up the front. Al let you’s know how it turns out.

mu3266
    Free Member

+1 to the Spesh Enduro. I ride an EVO and can still comfortably climb on it, albeit not fast. I think an Fox RP shock and a 160mm upfront would improve the climbing of it, but then I just wanted it in yellow.

coogan
    Free Member

If it has to have a 5 in the name, try a 5 Spot.

ska-49
    Free Member

I think budget is a big question as well.
    I’d personally go for a Santa cruz LTC or Nomad C or 9.9 remedy for carbon. For alu bike i’d look at 5 spot or five, Spec. enduro or stumpjumper FSR, remedy 8/9.

AJames
    Free Member

5 AM

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘the best do it all full susser ??’ is closed to new replies.