Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The bells, the bells…
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

When ambulances and fire engines go past me with their sirens going, it hurts my ears so I put my fingers in them. No one else does this. Is it because:
    a) they are already deaf?
    b) they’re too shy to look silly?

miketually
    Free Member

I think there may be something wrong with your ears. Possibly this has been caused by putting your fingers into them.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

most people are pretty deaf nowadays

maybe your hearing is less damaged than others

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    finbar
    Free Member

I do that too. It can be problematic on the bike at low speeds.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Possibly this has been caused by putting your fingers into them

perhaps you have a poor grasp of cause and effect – or do you consider that to be an outmoded concept ?

miketually
    Free Member

most people are pretty deaf nowadays

maybe your hearing is less damaged than others

My hearing is very good, but I’ve never felt pain when an ambulance passed me.

MussEd
    Free Member

Loads of folk do this when we’ve got the sirens on, actually annoys me when I see them do it. As if we’re inconveniencing people by making a loud noise whilst traveling to the aid of others.

Then I remember it’s obviously it’s not as loud when your inside the vehicle with the siren on.*

*provided all windows are fully up whilst sirens are being sounded {as per Health and Safety Memo circa 2003}

nickc

Sirens don’t hurt my ears.

titaniumtit
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I find the lights too bright aswell so I put my hands over my face

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How does putting your finger in a fire engine help? And how do you do it as they go past?

😉

druidh
    Free Member

little wonder you feel unsafe on the road if you’re riding with your fingers in your ears

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

As if we’re inconveniencing people by making a loud noise whilst traveling to the aid of others

indeed you are, but I don’t mind

little wonder you feel unsafe on the road if you’re riding with your fingers in your ears

I’m too scared to ride anywhere so I walk

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have tinnitus and noise damage deafness and the sirens are painful and damaging to me – they are sooooooooooooooooo loud. Needs to be to get thru to numpties in cars with stereos on I suppose but unless I immediately block my ears further damage is being done.

aleigh
    Free Member

i find the noise loud but i wouldn’t do that – i’m more worried about poor soul they’ll be attending to

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s so much easier to be mad about sirens when it’s policemen rather than ambulances. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i find the noise loud but i wouldn’t do that – i’m more worried about poor soul they’ll be attending to

letting my ears hurt won’t actually help them though…

Trampus
    Free Member

Why not? Surely you can sympathise, they were only seeking attention! 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The bells, the bells…’ is closed to new replies.