Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • The Beatles..
  • Edukator
    Free Member

I can assure you that albums of Christmas song’s came with lyrics in my childhood (hence my Google search that got that image). There was no reason not to, the songs were in the public domain. Anyhow Google it.

tomparkin

In response to OP, And Your Bird Can Sing is a favourite. Also favourites: Hey Bulldog, Get Back, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Sgt Pepper’s Reprise. Well, probably any Beatles song is one of my favourites.

It’s interesting reading this thread since the idea of not liking the Beatles has always seemed to me to be akin to not enjoying fun, or disliking nice things. It doesn’t really compute.

This said, Help! was the first song I ever really heard at the age of six or so and it was like being slapped, it was a visceral thing. So the Beatles were a gateway to the world of music for me, and it’s impossible to be objective about them as a result 🙂

tjagain

I do quite like the beatles – and I accept their influence is huge. I merely question the assertions that they were innovators.

DezB
    Free Member

Do some reading of stuff from people who know a **** of a lot more than you then? eg. the
    https://medium.com/cuepoint/how-the-beatles-revolver-gave-brian-wilson-a-nervous-breakdown-4b3939c4e0e5

I honestly don’t give a flying one what you think, but christ you’ve made this thread tedious.

tjagain

I am not the only one who understands the difference between innovation and synthesis on this thread and every person who has asserted the beatles did something first have been shown that others did instead – and perhaps you could read the link I posted that explains this exactly.

RustySpanner

Jesus.
    Make.
    It.
    Stop.

tjagain

OK rusty – its just so tedious watching people make assertions that are easily refuted then getting angry when you refute them

RustySpanner

I’m not angry.
    And I was right about the lyrics😉

I’m a little disappointed in myself for getting drawn in and responding to Edukator and yourself – I really should know better by now.

Have you noticed how many of the threads you post on end up being about you?
    I wonder why that is.

slowoldman

Some great little known B sides too. E.g. Old Brown Shoe.

jamj1974

This is where as Dez B suggests, listening to experts is best. Whether experts on musical composition, the history of pop music in general or highly-skilled musicians themselves – all are more informed than we as a group on STW are.

The consensus seems to be that they were innovators, independently re-invented musical forms that they could not have experienced and had a huge ability as songwriters.

Whatever we may think, we can’t change that because we don’t like it.

RustySpanner

Great track.

Because is underrated too, as is Rain.

Loads of good ones that never get played on the radio.

CountZero

I’ve stayed away from this thread, partly because I’ve had other stuff to do, and partly because, like RustyS says, I didn’t want to get drawn into an argument.
    Which is good, because DezB can do it so much better than I can! 😁

senorj

” I merely question the assertions that they were innovators.”
    With the assistance of George Martin they were true innovators in recording music as well as writing it.
    Surely ?
    🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Which is good, because DezB can do it so much better than I can!

So, like, you haven’t read the thread at all? I think you’ll have found you’re talking almost as much crap as TJ…. 😛

slowoldman

With the assistance of George Martin they were true innovators in recording music as well as writing it.

They certainly pushed the capabilities of the equipment. Sgt Pepper recorded on a 4 track!!

Edukator
    Free Member

Sgt Pepper recorded on a 4 track!!

At least two 4 track machines. They recorded say guitar piano and drums on a four track then put the lot on one of the four tracks of the next machine. This effectively gave 16 tracks.

slowoldman

Yes I know they did a lot of track bouncing, that’s more or less the point I failed to make.

Nico
    Free Member

Derivative_ sounds like it to me. I am sure I read as well that they took large bits out of US music of the time.

They did, at least at the beginning, as did all early sixties beat groups, that was the basis of the music. Even then they added a lot, and sold it back to America.

What always strikes me when I listen to old Beatles records is how strong the harmonies are, particularly considering they weren’t seen as a harmony group in the same way as the Beach Boys or even the Hollies were.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The Beatles were good but they’re no Wings 🙂

jamj1974

The Beatles were good but they’re no Wings 🙂

“Wings. The band The Beatles could have been…”

eddiebaby
    Free Member

At least two 4 track machines. They recorded say guitar piano and drums on a four track then put the lot on one of the four tracks of the next machine. This effectively gave 16 tracks.

We had one of the 4 tracks in the shop for a while. Could have sold it to tourists for a fortune. Wasn’t ours though D’oh! Not quite 16 tracks that easily… a fair bit of a stereo mix went down early on in the bouncing.

Edukator
    Free Member

The main focus was the mono edition in 1967, stereo was an afterthought made with what they’d got on the mono tapes. There’s an explantion of all this stuff on the Web somewhere.

ransos
    Free Member

Howard Goodall did a few great programmes about The Beatles. Well worth watching and incredibly informative.

Yep, his programme about Sergeant Pepper was fascinating, describing all the different influences they used to create something unique. But what would he know?

Dickyboy

Barry Manilow was singing the praises of John and Paul on R2 the other night, that sums it up for me 😜

DezB
    Free Member

You listen to Radio 2, so what does it matter what you think? 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There’s an explantion of all this stuff on the Web somewhere.

A VERY deep rabbithole. And I was wrong, I thought the initial bounce had a stereo mix on two of the tracks. Wrong….

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘The Beatles..’ is closed to new replies.