Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • The Beatles..
  • jekkyl

Can you believe he was 24 when he wrote this? Such a beautiful poignant and melancholy song.

What do you think he means with ‘wearing her face that she keeps in a jar by the door’? doesn’t make sense but it does somehow. Also it could be ‘I look at all the lonely people’ not ‘ahh, look at all the lonely people’

Anyway, which are your favourite tunes or moments in the life of….?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Anyway, which are your favourite tunes

Come together.

It appeals to my surrealist nature.

Strangely, their other , probably more surrealist tracks,  leave me  a bit  cold. I not a big fan of eggmen or marmalade skies it seems.

Pook

She said, she said I love. I think Lennon ends up just mocking her in the lyrics for her bullshit.

If I Needed Someone for it’s sound too.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Watched “Fry am the eggman” last night. 😉

woody2000

wearing her face that she keeps in a jar by the door

Make up (rouge probably).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Revolver and Forever Changes are two albums I will never tire of.

martinhutch

Must admit, I’m a sucker for their sentimental, melodic stuff.

drlex
    Free Member
    Harry_the_Spider

“Wearing a face that she keeps in a jar by the door”

I read this as her public face that people see when she is out, but once the door is closed she is just another one of the lonely people.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Jesus! Just dawned on me that Revolver is 53yrs old. I can remember it being released. 🙁

Edit: Off to play it now followed by Forever Changes and the Notorious Byrds Brothers.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Can you believe he was 24 when he wrote this? Such a beautiful poignant and melancholy song

Indeed. Most people at 24 don’t even notice the lonely people let alone wonder where they come from. He also wrote the heart wrenching “She’s Leaving Home” around the same time.

Incredible that he then went on the give us such gems as The Frog Chorus

My other Beatles faves are

A Day in the Life
    Strawberry Fields
    She’s Leaving Home
    I Am the Walrus
    Across the Universe
    The Long and Winding Road
    Something
    And I Love Her
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps

DezB
    Free Member

Couldn’t pick a favourite song, but the White Album and Sgt. Peppers contain their best stuff for me. They invented heavy rock on The White Album!

(Will easily ignore any dismissers as clueless ignoramouses who do not understand the historical importance of The Beatles 😀 )

(As for Revolver – I mean Tomorrow Never Knows.. how ahead of it’s time?!)

slowoldman

They invented heavy rock on The White Album!

Hmm, there were heavy rock bands around before that. But yes, Yer Blues is brilliant.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Can you believe he was 24 when he wrote this?

Yes… at 24 he is positively ancient compared to some….

Stevie Wonder wrote fingertips at 12 years old!
    Paul Weller wrote In The City and This Is The Modern World while still in his teens
    Alex Turner was 19 when he wrote Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I`m Not
    Amy Winehouse recorded Frank before she turned 20
    Lorde wrote Royals at 17

That’s a quick list from a short google search. I guess my point is, song writers produce their best stuff while they are young and the world is their oyster. Once they reach their thirties (if they get that far (27 club)) they have accepted life as it is, the fire in the belly has quit and once they settle down and get married its over.

hols2
    Free Member

What do you think he means with ‘wearing her face that she keeps in a jar by the door’?

As Harry_the_Spider said, when she goes out, she puts on a public face to hide the reality of her private life. When she gets home again, she drops the pretense.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, there were heavy rock bands around before that. But yes, Yer Blues is brilliant

Alright then: punk! Helter Skelter. What a piece of utter genius.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Big feature on the Beatles in this month’s Classic Rock mag.( Abbey Road Album )
    I grew up listening to them through my mam..she saw them in Newcastle ..the Hard Days Night Album is among the first of my musical memories ..

john_l
    Free Member

Try the book, Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald.

Entire Beatles catalogue with notes on recording, lyrics and other stuff. Fascinating.

johndoh
    Free Member

wearing her face that she keeps in a jar by the door

I take that line to mean that when she is at home she becomes herself but wears a ‘mask’ outside to be what other people expect her to be. (Edit – I notice others think the same as me).

But the best song by them is A Day In The Life – I sat my 10 yr olds down to listen to it just last weekend.

Best lyrics have to be from Taxman.

If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street
    If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat
    If you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat
    If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet

martinhutch

Stevie Wonder wrote fingertips at 12 years old!
    Paul Weller wrote In The City and This Is The Modern World while still in his teens
    Alex Turner was 19 when he wrote Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I`m Not
    Amy Winehouse recorded Frank before she turned 20
    Lorde wrote Royals at 17

Kate Bush writing this at 13 has to be up there…

redmex
    Free Member

Buddy Holly died at the age of 22, the Crickets inspired the Beatles name

pennine
    Free Member

Showing my age here but I saw the Beatles in 1963 at the Gaumont in Bradford. Not well known back then although we had heard ‘Love me do’ on Radio Luxembourg. Helen Shapiro was top billing with the Beatles bottom of the list! Different story in 1964 when they returned. The screaming girls almost drowned out the sound.

shermer75
    Free Member

The Beatles did everything they ever did before they were thirty. Amazing!

It’s also interesting how many of people’s fave songs are George Harrison’s

easily
    Free Member

Some of the works that Mozart wrote when he was 5:

Best lyrics from Taxman? Yes, it’s always good to hear a multi-millionaire tell us how badly done to they are.

I’m not really a fan of The Beatles, but I really do like Eleanor Rigby. Apart from that I only like the ones that sound a bit Motown-y.

neilthewheel

Some of the works that Mozart wrote when he was 5:

Yeah, but I bet he couldn’t play it very fast when he was 5.

tjagain

I am going to be a dissenter here. Ok a few songs with a little social observation in them and a few acid inspired bits but taken as a whole – derivative trite pop music mainly copied from others – and often direct copies.

slowoldman

On the other hand, compared to what was already around they were pretty amazing.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I would agree with you there slowoldman..however although they have a rightful place in history as being one of the catalysts for rock & pop music as we know it ..I just can’t remember the last time I purposely listened to anything by them ..

Edukator
    Free Member

I cover a few Beatles songs because if you pick up a guitar the first things people ask you if you can play are the Beatles. I used to find it irritating but must have mellowed with age. I still refuse point blank to go anywhere near Hey Jude which is one of the few songs by any artist I simply detest. So this busker’s selection:

Here comes the sun
    Hard day’s night
    Norwegian wood
    You’ve got to hide your love away
    When I’m 64 (on bass rather than guitar)

I can accompany a few more but those are the ones I can remember all the words to.

tjagain

On the other hand, compared to what was already around they were pretty amazing.

You mean in UK pop music. Plenty of good stuff from the states – souls, Blues etc – most of which the beetles stole!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I am going to be a dissenter here. Ok a few songs with a little social observation in them and a few acid inspired bits but taken as a whole – derivative trite pop music mainly copied from others – and often direct copies.

Um… no. I’m not even a massive fan of The Beatles, but I do know, from studying music over the years and working in the industry, that almost all of what you say there is nonsense.

I’d do a little bit more reading about them before you make daft statements like the one above. From almost every viewpoint they were innovators. I can think of countless examples of instrumentation, use of the studio as an instrument in itself, and songwriting itself, where they were leagues above anyone else.

Let me quote from Howard Goodall:

‘From a standing start, knowing only a handful of chords between them, John Lennon and Paul McCartney turned themselves into the most influential composers of the late twentieth century. Their music wasn’t just immensely popular. It also proved that traditional western harmony – the main building block of European music – still had plenty to offer. (Even though avant-garde composers had turned their back on it.) By mixing pop and classical techniques, and cross-fertilising them with Indian, and electronic music, The Beatles refreshed and revitalised western harmony. They also transformed the recording studio from a dull box where you recaptured your live sound, into a musical laboratory, of exciting and completely new sounds. This was one of the most crucial advances in the way popular music was to be produced.’

Do I really need to say any more, or are you just trolling?

JP

jekkyl

Their songs are fun as well, their back catalogue has such variety of tunes and topics.

Their songwriting talent is first rate.

theotherjonv

this

Early stuff was very catchy and tuneful and I loved it when I was younger but over the years I now find it a bit ‘<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>two minute and throwaway'</span>

Later stuff, with looped tapes and playback, etc …. fabulous

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Yeah I remember school holidays as a teenager in the seventies listening to revolver and the white album on vinyl over and over again, fantastic music. The innovative music of the seventies was built on the Beatles later studio work. I do agree that in the sixties the stones and cream etc were more sexy bands to listen to but they all built on what the Beatles were doing. I’m a fan even though I rank the Floyd above them I reckon the Beatles were key to every band that came after them.

tjagain

jjp

You clearly know a lot more about music than I do

Trite is my opinion – thats all it is – an opinion

Derivative_ sounds like it to me. I am sure I read as well that they took large bits out of US music of the time.

Influential – of course. The first clean cut white boys to be recording like this and especially after the acid created a creative space that others moved into.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I do agree that in the sixties the stones and cream etc were more sexy bands to listen to

…especially if you were George Harrison’s wife.

martinhutch

Pretty much all popular music is derivative to some degree or other. The US innovators of rock ‘n’ roll took rhythms and riffs from blues/gospel/folk.

The first clean cut white boys to be recording like this.

Apart from Buddy Holly, and Elvis, of course.

tjagain

Martin – I should have said British perhaps 😉

JJP
    Harmonies? The california surf music – one example

An alternative take

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/06/beatles-did-not-revolutionise-music-study-claims

Even someone detracting from this analysis states

Brocken accepts that in many ways the Beatles were not pioneers of the musical styles they played, but believes this fails to diminish the group’s standing in the pop canon. “Most decent popular music researchers would probably agree that the Beatles were not so much innovators as musical magpies – and that’s not a criticism. They, like all of us, listened to all sorts of stuff and were duly inspired,” he said.

At the end of the day a lot of this is opinion not fact.

Klunk
    Free Member

and songwriting itself, where they were leagues above anyone else.

both released in august 63

as a songwriter who’s in the different league again ? Btw I’m not a fan of either

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘The Beatles..’ is closed to new replies.