• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • "The Beast" near Ladybower and/or good ladybower routes
  • alibongo001

Hi All.

I remember there being a trail called the beast near Ladybower, I have looked on Strava and cannot seem to find it?

Would anybody have an idea where it is or any good routes around there for a ride on Sunday?

Thanks in advance!

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is another thread on this topic right now

Linky

tomj
    Free Member

The Beast is the trail that runs down from the crossroads at Hope Cross on the top of the ridge down through the woods to the western end of Ladybower Reservoir. Its not an all out fast descent, or a twisty flowy singletrack. Its a wide gully, very, very rocky, some of which are huge. Its a skill to clean it all. Its way above my standard so I don’t particularly enjoy it, but I could see why people do.

Easy to link in to all the other Ladybower routes, to make a looop around the reservoir. If the Beast isn’t your thing then going straight on at Hope Cross rather than right leads to the Blackey Hey descent. Still rocky but not as technical, more open and faster (I think). Brings you out further along the A57

thepodge
    Free Member

Blackley hay is often called potato alley

tomj
    Free Member

Thats the problem with these names. I’m not a local and had no idea it was called potato alley. So of course if you’re old-school like me and enjoy pouring over OS maps to find routes you’ll never find ‘The Beast’ or ‘Potato Alley’

Pook

Potato alley may be busy tomorrow

jambalaya
    Free Member

Potato alley may be busy tomorrow

Have a great time. We look forward to the video.

endurogangster
    Free Member

We’ve always called it the descent of doom! Good fun though

vickypea
    Free Member

The Beast is fun. I’m not a great mountain biker, but I can ride most of it on my HT. there are 3 bits that I struggle with, but hoping that I’ll clear them after more practice!

FOG

Although I agree The Beast is hard (for mere mortals) I have managed to shed blood on potato alley after getting totally out of shape on the afore mentioned potatoes . A couple following me down stopped to express sympathy but when I got going again, I found the girl picking herself up just round the corner from where I had come to grief. So , be careful!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘"The Beast" near Ladybower and/or good ladybower routes’ is closed to new replies.