The BBC victim of it's own incompetence or…

Home Forum Chat Forum The BBC victim of it's own incompetence or…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • The BBC victim of it's own incompetence or…
  • ohnohesback

…walked into a neatly laid trap?

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Would have to be a very clever trap, what with the Tory party also being dragged into the mire.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

I reckon more a victim of their own hubris actually.

There’s a bit of me cant help but think that there are some people at the BBC who loved the idea of the opportunity of sticking one on the conservative party having taken a boot in the nuts from them for the Savile balls-up. Mistakes are often the result of being blinded by revenge…

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I reckon more a victim of their own hubris actually.

+1

They couldn’t wait to publish, so much so, they didn’t do even basic fact checking.

Mr Woppit

“More middle managers than the Chinese Communist Party”…

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Given that the BBC loves self-flagellation, I am not surprised how this filters down through the organisation. But there is something strange in this juxtaposition between an organisation with a rotten core and bloated bureaucracy and one still capable of outstanding broadcasting.

But watching the way that programmes like Newsnight have been debased over the past few years, I can’t help feeling that the former is in the ascendendany.

The only other organisation that likes to beat itself up so publically was the England rugby team a few years ago (Robinson, Correy era) and that was sad to watch too.

Who would want to have Lord Patten batting for them?!?!

mcboo

BoJo nails it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/9671346/BBC-investigation-Smearing-an-innocent-mans-name-is-the-real-tragedy-here.html

It wasn’t just that it showed Newsnight taking up the cudgels against paedophiles, after the embarrassment of the axed Savile exposé. It went one better. It pushed all the buttons. It was like a dream come true for any vaguely resentful and Left-of-centre BBC producer. It was a chance to pour unlimited ordure on a man who – in their book – jolly well had it coming. He is rich, he is a toff, he is a Lord, he is a Tory, and – joy of joys – he is an EX-AIDE TO MRS THATCHER.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Overcompensating for the previous Saville nonsense by jumping the gun on this. I really can’t believe that any editor would be so stupid as to go public without a room full of lawyers first asking some serious questions about actual evidence, or the absence of….

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

anyone hear dimblebore on the today programme this morning?
    Not mincing his words about the state of the internal politics and bureaucracy at the BBC. Something Private Eye have been having fun with since the days of Birtspeak in the mid to late 90s.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

hopefully they will shift some dead wood from the corp and get on with being the best news provider we have

interesting that they farmed this report out to a private company, i suspect in the hope of avoiding accusations of bias……..

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

If there is going to be a conspiracy, I reckon its by George Entwhistle

He read the small print on his contract and said to his wife, incredulously “It says here if I resign after a few weeks, then they have to pay me half a million quid!!! Ker-****ing-ching!!! I’m off to accuse a senior Tory of being a peado on national telly!!!”

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

I really can’t believe that any editor would be so stupid as to go public without a room full of lawyers first asking some serious questions about actual evidence, or the absence of….

Serious questions such as:

Lawyer: Hello Mr Abused person. Here is a photo or Lord McAlpine, is this the person who raped you?

Mr Abused Person: No

Lawyer: Okay, thanks.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Exactly! It really would have been that simple to avoid this whole debacle!

hopefully they will shift some dead wood from the corp and get on with being the best news provider all round broadcaster we have

Agreed (Slight edit to reflect my opinion!)

ohnohesback

Meanwhile the secret report remains shelved or shredded, and the person who has been the subject of rumours since the 1980s (not the person named) is laughing….

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Just a fabulous managerial cock-up, the first leading neatly to the second in a matter of days.

BBC told it was too cautious over Saville, so Entwistle arranges for editorial sign-off of a news programme to be transferred away from the Head(s) of News to a couple of middle managers with little or no direct experience of news.

Immediately, a call needs to be made on whether to run a risky news package, and hey presto! – there’s no-one suitably qualified to do it, and the wrong decision is made.

Clearly the folk at Newsnight and the lawyers didn’t do their job, but there was no safety net of any value. The guys put in charge would always defer to the Newsnight team.

In addition, the DG, a former editor of Newsnight, deals with the programme as he would probably would have wanted it to be treated when he edited it – ie little or no scrutiny from above.

Two awful decisions in the space of a few days, and people are questioning why Entwistle had to go…

mcboo

The Beeb really has lost its way in the last decade or so. I listen to Today and there’s always something good on BBC4 but apart from that there isnt a whole lot that interests me. Sky News is way better, the sport is all gone, the comedy seems to consists of endless panel shows with the same clever dick comedians and the drama cant come close to the output of HBO and Showtime.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

and further on the tory-bashing front, I know it’s John Redwood here – and he has a bee in his bonnet about the BBC, but I think he has a valid point:

in a fairly unsuccessful attempt to disguise his name the Conservative party was accused of harbouring a paedophile in the Thatcher era. Some Conservatives will ask why the unnamed person had to be described in this way. Would the BBC have said a senior figure of the Callaghan or Wilson era, if the dates had been different, or were they as often seems the case, out to attack Margaret Thatcher? Would they have constantly repeated the word Labour, if the senior figure had been from that party, or sufficed themselves with a general word like politician?

The BBC and journalism

Mr Woppit

Stoner – Member

anyone hear dimblebore on the today programme this morning?
    Not mincing his words about the state of the internal politics and bureaucracy at the BBC. Something Private Eye have been having fun with since the days of Birtspeak in the mid to late 90s.

So, not a “bore”, then…

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

hey dont spoil my aliteration 😛

hHey, don’t spoil my alliteration

I despair….

bazookajoe

So with the wrong MP identified and the resulting furore with the BBC, it does seem to be diverting attention away from correctly identifying the MP who may have been involved. Anyone actually investigating that? Or is BBC bashing more important to current MPs and news/media groups?

The BBC bashing is going way OTT at the moment, with even Rupert Murdoch sticking the boot in.

noteeth

With any luck, the spiralling rhetoric from pundits both left & right in this miserable country will build to a critical threshold and cause all concerned to vanish into a parallel universe, leaving only David Attenborough & wall-to-wall natural history documentaries (plus an archive of John Peel’s radio shows, and the shipping forecast).

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

an archive of John Peel’s radio shows

You better not google “John Peel underage sex”.

You better not google “John Peel underage sex”

What’s wrong with marrying a 15 year old?
    Oh, hold on….

noteeth

You better not google “John Peel underage sex”.

Now then, now then… doesn’t change the fact that his festive fifty introduced me to Bang Bang Machine’s Geek Love – possibly the greatest record ever made.

Junkyard

Redwood is doing exactly what he is accusing the BBC of – flying off the handle becaus ehe has seen the name BBC and they have messed up
    He is not a person whose judgement or opinions I put any real weight to

Given that the BBC loves self-flagellation, I am not surprised how this filters down through the organisation. But there is something strange in this juxtaposition between an organisation with a rotten core and bloated bureaucracy and one still capable of outstanding broadcasting.

But watching the way that programmes like Newsnight have been debased over the past few years, I can’t help feeling that the former is in the ascendendany.

The only other organisation that likes to beat itself up so publically was the England rugby team a few years ago (Robinson, Correy era) and that was sad to watch too.

Who would want to have Lord Patten batting for them?!?!

This but I know nothing of rugger other than they cheat with blood feign injuries and are generally uncoooth individuals who should not be respected or roles models for our children [ well flash is reading 😉 ]

I also suspect the writtne print are glad to have some weight taken from them re levenson and ther eis a bit of a media fight going on between different outlets
    I do not see the written media beating itself up over them all [ prety much anyway] being oinvloved in illegal methods to gain news rather they tell us why self regulation will work then distract us with saville and the BBC

I suspect the DG knew less about the newsnight programme than Murdoch [and others] did about what was going on their watch.
    One was really bad reporting the other was criminal- lets not forget this whislt bashing the BBC, who are hated by so many on the right.

FWIW did anyoine know who the newsnight report referred to without the Internet?
    Senior Tory under Thacther hardly identifies anyone as there were a few.
    Still what a total **** up

Subscriber

With any luck, the spiralling rhetoric from pundits both left & right in this miserable country will build to a critical threshold and cause all concerned to vanish into a parallel universe, leaving only David Attenborough & wall-to-wall natural history documentaries (plus an archive of John Peel’s radio shows, and the shipping forecast).

Can I add to that list?

Cbeebies
    Horrible Histories
    The Thick of It

Subscriber

and Homes under the Hammer

noteeth

Can I add to that list?

Subject to CRB clearance, of course.

jfletch

Can I add to that list?

Cbeebies
    Horrible Histories
    The Thick of It

I suspect if we carry on with this we may end up adding the entire output of the BBC to the list of things we want to keep.

ohnohesback

“So with the wrong MP identified and the resulting furore with the BBC, it does seem to be diverting attention away from correctly identifying the MP who may have been involved. Anyone actually investigating that? Or is BBC bashing more important to current MPs and news/media groups?”

Unfortunately, yes.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Can somebody please implicate The Archers and Gardeners QT in the Savile scandal?

Junkyard

What always amuses me about the archers [ like the sailing weather] is the fact I have heard it hundreds of times but cannot name any main charchters or shipping areas.
    Personally it is thought for the day I would get rid of I dont need a religious person using the days news events as an allegory to preach to me about what they believe

noteeth

it is thought for the day I would get rid of

I’d give that spot to TJ.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Clergymen and child abuse? Can’t imagine that happening.

kaesae

Hahahaha!

This thread is hilarious, all these people going on about how the BBC has messed up recently and should go back to it’s magnificent self.

Hahahahaha!

Rather than realizing that you are seeing the BBC for what it is, a load of utter shite!

You have to go on about how good it usually is and make out that this is just a mistake a slight set back, because if this isn’t just a mistake but you getting a look at the true nature of the belligerent soul sucking monstrosity the BBC represents.

Then what does that say about all the years you’ve spent sitting there looking at what is basically a load of televised idiotic, utterly useless shite?

Hahahahahahahaha!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Are the BBC all part of ‘the plot’ too?

Perhaps we should look to Russian TV or Youtube videos for our news?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘The BBC victim of it's own incompetence or…’ is closed to new replies.