Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • The BBC, and their massive plugging of ‘The Bodyguard’ (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

FFS. Its everywhere, but these stealth adverts for it are a bit much.

The latest one I heard was at about 8:50 yesterday morning, Radio Scotland. The newsreader plugging another upcoming show (name I can’t remember) in an “if , like me, you can’t live without the Bodyguard, here’s some good news” style.

I can accept the need to advertise their series, but not on the news.

jam-bo

Have you written to points of view?

epicyclo

Maybe it’s a subliminal plot to drive someone to off Theresa May?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It was awesome, they have every right to bask in it, ditto Killing Eve.

Well done Beeb. Not often I say that!.

timba
    Free Member

They’re pleased. The BBC has finally commissioned a decent drama series, albeit with massive plot holes. Half of the cast is BBC News anchors and editors

angeldust
    Free Member

TV channel encouraging you to watch their programs – how dare they 🙄

😄

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

great drama BBC well done. Its news worthy because its popular.

frankly since they stopped wearing dinner suits to read the news its gone down hill 😀

richmars

Not just the BBC, ITN did a piece on the news about it. I reckon Killing Eve was better.

rene59
    Free Member

It’s actually an ITV made show, bought by BBC in the UK and by Netflix internationally, so it’s in everyone’s best interest it’s publicised to the max.

rone

It really isn’t that great.

Cinematography is good, as is Keeley Hawes. Music is good too if a bit nicked from all of Christopher Nolan’s output.

But seriously it’s as if no one as ever seen the likes of Ozark with its multiple characters, incessant moral ambiguity and fantastic acting.

Jed Mercurio knows how script tension but  wallowing between the bombs are some duff lingering scenes of wayward nothingness.

It’s TV doing Gerard Butler/Liam Kneeson type stuff for the Telegraph generation.

The beeb are scared of Netflix they’ve got to amp it up. I don’t blame them as they’re fading.

But actually bear in mind the production doesn’t have much to do with the BBC itself.

All a bit shouty with no nuance.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I find the sycophantic ads for Strictly Come Over my Shoes moar offensive.

DezB
    Free Member

Can I just mention pedantically, that The Bodyguard starred Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner.

I watched the first episode of Bodyguard and thought it was ok. Then I heard how popular it was so haven’t watched any more. Other popular things I don’t view include Eastenders, The Daily Mail and Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway.

sarkmeister
    Free Member

So you don’t watch it because other people watch it? Strange.

I assume you would therefore find the Daily Mail acceptable if you were the only reader?

Anyway, I enjoyed Bodyguard. It had absolutely monumental plot holes, but was still entertaining.

Beagleboy

I thought it was okay, not brilliant, but okay. No where near as good as the hype would have had me believe. Had a real problem though with the lead actor being such a miserable, whiney Scottish git….and that’s coming from a miserable, whiney Scottish git.

rone

whiney Scottish git….and that’s coming from a miserable, whiney Scottish git.

Yeah, similar to Line of Duty from the same pen. A miserable bloke with one expression.

IHN

Then I heard how popular it was so haven’t watched any more.

Why did DezB burn his mouth on his coffee? ‘Cos he drank it before it was cool 😉

IHN

I thought it was okay, not brilliant, but okay. No where near as good as the hype would have had me believe.

I probably up ‘okay’ to ‘pretty good’, but, yeah, I think that’s a pretty fair summation.

kelvin

Enjoyed watching it, but the plot holes were painful. Not just a scripting thing… clearly some holes caused by edits. Last episode… who buried the iPad? When?

johndoh
    Free Member

Last episode… who buried the iPad? When?

Yes that bit was particularly confusing as they kept in the scene where he hid it in the boiler – if they had taken that scene out people would have just assumed he’d buried it in the first place. However I really enjoyed it overall.

Caher

Bodyguard stopped me scrambling onto Netflix for Sunday night watching fare but I did think the actor who played Bud was strangely very wooden.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It really isn’t that great.

I thought the part where the guy was standing in the middle of the park with a bomb strapped to him and there were four armed police, two infront and two behind so that they were effective aiming at him AND each other, was particularly well thought through.

I might not seem of any consequence but the OP has a point. The BBC has gone way over board to promote this; It’s pretty rare that any TV programme becomes popular enough to be featured as a news item on any TV channel, but the fact that it was just the BBC reporting smacks of navel gazing at one level and stinks of fear (for the future) at another.

There is a reason the government wanted to switch radio broadcasts to digital; it’s so that that you free up the broadcast spectrum to auction off to other providers. Broadcast TV will not exist in the future and at that point the concenpt of a universal license fee will also die.

It’s this that the BBC is scared of and right so.

Kryton57

Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway.

Fixed that for you.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I only watched it cos I hated it.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not as hard to not watch something as some of you seem to think. I don’t feel I’m missing out, because there are quite frankly LOADS of other things to watch. And I have trouble finding the time to watch the ones I do want to watch.

johnners
    Free Member

I don’t feel I’m missing out, because there are quite frankly LOADS of other things to watch. And I have trouble finding the time to watch the ones I do want to watch.

I agree that there’s plenty of good stuff out there, but it does seem perverse that you stopped watching something you thought was OK because you heard it was popular.

rene59
    Free Member

And I have trouble finding the time to watch the ones I do want to watch.

Yet plenty time to comment on a thread about something you never watched to tell everyone you never watched it as it’s beneath you somehow. Aye right, yer maw.

footflaps

We really enjoyed it, plot holes and all.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, of course I have time here to use the internet. Maybe if there was a TV in the office at work I’d have time to watch programmes I don’t want to eh? And you have incorrectly deduced that I have never watched Bodyguard. Yer maw (whatever she has to do with anything)

hels
    Free Member

I tuned in for the same reason as most middle aged ladies – The King of The North routinely gettin his shirt off.

That aside, I quite enjoyed it, although it was all pretty silly and I was disappointed the ginger spook chap didn’t rip off his face mask at the end Scooby Doo style to reveal that he was really the Home Secretary and still alive.  Thats the ending I would have written.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That would have made prosecutiing the baddies for her murder somewhat problematic

hedley
    Free Member

6 episodes to watch, Daunted by Bodyguard. Do it?

Seems like we need to give this a go. Managed to miss it completely.

RustySpanner

Missed the last episode.

Turned on Today on R4 first thing Monday to hear spoilers about the ending.

Bah……

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I can understand the BBC panic over Netflix and Prime, they are seeing their business go drifting away. Was it the Emmys this year where some broadcast as opposed to internet show got an category and I’m sure one commentator described it as being like “the hottest person in intensive care”. Or something equally incorrect but funnier.

Yep, expect them to shout about every triumph.

ransos
    Free Member

Anyway, I enjoyed Bodyguard. It had absolutely monumental plot holes, but was still entertaining.

+1. I missed all the adverts, presumably because I don’t spend all my time glued to BBC 1, waiting for something to be annoyed about.

rone

Yet plenty time to comment on a thread about something you never watched to tell everyone you never watched it as it’s beneath you somehow. Aye right, yer maw.

30 seconds versus 6 hours or so. Not really a logical comparison.

hels
    Free Member

I am also looking forward to the “Bad Lip Reading” take on it – there is some great work to be done with the scene in the square with the bomb.

Nico
    Free Member

Its news worthy because its popular.

It may be “newsworthy” in the sense that it’s worth talking about on the Media Show, and it’s nice that we can have discussions at work about it the day after, like before netflix, but when it comes up on the national daily news you have to think* that the BBC needs to get out more.

*I suppose you don’t have to think anything, but well, really.

nickc

Something like 98% of folk still watch programming on the telly by the schedule. The death of the Beeb being caused by Netflix and amazon are largely a construct of the media industry talking about itself

Haven’t watch Bodyguard, don’t need to now as Radio 4 handily told me what happened. Plus I’m as cool as DezB, obvs

DezB
    Free Member

No way 😎

mariner
    Free Member

Prefer Killing Eve.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘The BBC, and their massive plugging of ‘The Bodyguard’ (CONTAINS SPOILERS)’ is closed to new replies.