Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • The Answer to the Ultimate Question – The Best Descent in Scotland
  • jimmy

BermBabyBerm

rotten
    Free Member

Glas Allt Shiel is a cracker, both fast and flowy, and slow and techy. Have managed to ride it all, bar the corner next to the waterfall. Puts a grin on my face just thinking about it.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

The bit below the tree line on the Lairig Ghru is one of the best bits of trail I have ever ridden anywhere ever. We got to the bottom and immediately rode all the way back up to do it again, which is unprecedented.

Obligatory low quality pic of me smashing it;

(I’m actually doing about 450mph in this pic, you just can’t tell)…

martinxyz
    Free Member

I rode past that trail a few weeks ago,Fortunateson. I never bothered going to the top to ride it as it’s altered a bit since <2004ish for the worst.Its a shame.It was obviously once natural top to bottom and I like to remember it that way.

rickmeister

I know its not the Ciaran Path…

Jocks Road, the descent to Loch Muick or possibly the Torridan Bealach na Lice and Achnashellach round is my favorite so far.. after Spooky Wood that is…

enmac
    Free Member

You can find most of these descents here:

http://www.mtbtrails.info/

Max
    Free Member

Certainly haven’t ridden enough to say which ones are amongst the best. But I did enjoy Capel Mounth to Glen Clova for sheer speed and fun

marionheck
    Free Member

so much to do….. so little time!!!!

chickenman

Sanny’s Carn an Chlamain descent is pretty special. The natural stuff near Innerleithen is pretty good too; in paticular PHH straight down to the GC (I’d get lynched if I owned up!)

martinxyz
    Free Member

http://www.dbethune.com/Mountains/GlenTilt/CarnaChlamain.html

‘Finally, a pleasant 5 downhill miles on the bikes (no punctures this time!) back to the car at Old Bridge of Tilt’

Aaaaye! Sounds braw. (below border translation ~ spiffingly fantastic)

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

[KingofBiscuits – Member

Rob, is the Achnashellach descent the one where you turn right at Bealach na Lice instead of the left and over the summit and down to Annat?

There’s a path on the right that traverses high along towards Coire Grannda/Beinn Liath Mhor?]

Hi I have ridden the route discussed above. I can confirm it is an absoulte cracker! We started at Coulags ride up past bothy etc hike to the BEalach and instead of bearing left and down to Anatt bear right and folw the trail. It actually descends into a sort of bowl with a lochan at the bottom then its good old hike a bike up and out to the Bealach. You find yourself looking down…..onto the good bit that takes you down to Achnashelach station…. only you have about 5 km of decent to get to that! 😀

I took some pics when i was there last can post some if anyone is interested!

Sanny
    Free Member

Hmm. I reckon the descent off the Mamores from the bealach beneath Stob Ban would be mint. I carried up it on Sunday and it looked brilliant to ride down especially if you rode from the summit to the east of the lochan and down the switchbacks.

I rerode Vorlich a couple of weekends ago and it was great second time round.

mactheknife

Northcountryboy, yep fire the pics up. Always interested 🙂

Just had an ace blast down Dumyat in Stirling tonight. Reet good fun 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Capel Mounth into Glen Doll. Fast to technical to silly, just not long enough and its’s a hell of a climb up to.

Kunstler

Sanny, I thought that the last time I walked down that path after coming along the devil’s ridge.

mactheknife

onehundredthidiot – Member

Capel Mounth into Glen Doll. Fast to technical to silly, just not long enough and its’s a hell of a climb up to.

Its a cracker aint it, Did this on Sunday. Was a bit disapointed with the descent into Loch Muick from Corrie Chash.

So many water bars, but it gets way better the lower you get 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Kunstler

What would be the best way of getting up to the start of the descent? Is the steel cable crossing and up the path a possibility. I could definitely hook the bike up onto the bag to get across the water but was wondering if the path up is sufficiently direct without being a trauma scramble the whole way? A wee bit of exposure is fine.

Cheers

Sanny

fasthaggis

Thread hi-jack >>> WHW in a day,what direction will be the most fun ,descents and the like? <<<< Thread hi-jack 🙂

robertgray05
    Free Member

We did it South to North in 2 days and loved it. Doing it in 1 day you’d be knacked by the time you got to Devils staircase etc… maybe not so enjoyable then? We considered North-South but went with convention in the end.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hey mactheknife! Will pst some pics next week, going to Scotland tonite Torridon Saturday 😀

fasthaggis

Thanks robert.
    So is the best way to enjoy the staircase going North?
    Just trying to figure out what the benefits of each direction would be .
    I have family that I can stay with in Milngavie ,whatever way I choose to go. 🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Damyat: Nr Stirling is my current fav.

But then I’ve not looked at Ben Aan yet… (although another decent rider I know reckons it’s “nearly unrideable” and Joe Barnes is a “**** legend”)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

So is the best way to enjoy the staircase going North

I fail to see what all the fuss is about the Devil’s Staircase. It’s fun but it’s no better than hundreds of other descents across Scotland. It’s not even very big – on the Glencoe side its a 20-25 min push up and 5-6 minute ride down. If it wasn’t on the WHW it would’nt be mentioned.

Anyway, back on topic. On balance for me the best descent is Ben MacDui to Derry Lodge. Everything from very steep and highly technical to swooping ST, along with stunning views. Hell of a grind to get there but worth it

Kunstler

Sanny, it’s been a long time since I’ve been up that way but I wonder about going over Mullach nan Coirean, the western most of the Mamore munros and over to Stob Ban. From there to the beallach is steep – I don’t know what the path is like as I’ve only walked in snow but maybe worth checking with geograph and walkhighlands. It could be a nice bit of high level riding before that final descent.

I’d be interested to know how you got on if you did attempt to get bikes across Steall wire bridge. I think the ups and downs, scrambling and airy ridges of The Ring of Steall would be best without a bike but that’s just me. Where did you go after you’d ascended under Stob Ban?

I was going to post on the munro thread that maybe you should have a look at Binnein Mor climbing from Loch Eilde Mor (from Kinlochleven). I was up on the two most remote (eastern) Mamores – Sgurr Eilde Mor and Binnein Beag looking across to Binnein Mor and it looked a good possibility by bike. Up to Corrie an Lochan wouldn’t be a problem. I left the bike and walked from just before there but it would have been good on bike to the foot of the munros I climbed that day. (steep cones of scree and rocks – not bikeable themselves). Probably only one good way off Binnein Mor – back the way you came but it would be good all the way to Kinlochleven.

Food for though anyway.

Sanny
    Free Member

Kunstler

Looked at that several times. It’s getting done soon.

Stob Ban top section looks mad steep but walking down a little would be no disaster.

Might do Bynack Mor next for a quick evening ride fix.

Sgorr Gaoth is back in nick so that might go too.

How nice is this weather eh?

Cheers

Sanny

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi mactheknife had to go back up to Torridon to check is I still think the best bit is down to Achnashellach station or down to Annat. There both very different both very good and at the weekend were fantastic. As promised afew pics………..

mactheknife

NorthCountryBoy, nice pics there. Scotland rocks, ill be cracking Ben Lawers in a couple of weeks. Ill return the favour with the pics.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Jon O Groats to the English bodrer, as everyone knows, it’s all downhill.

desboy3
    Free Member

Me and a couple of the boys pushed up The Merrick today. To be fair a lot of pushing for us but as a bang per buck descent it was superb. A little bit of everything! Super fast grassy/rocky first section heading into a
    Loose, gravelly second bit with lotsof wee waterbars to pOp off! Then down into a wood with a really nice footy/ rocky section and on into a much slower techy section. We had smiles for miles!
    All in at our slow pace and a puncture stop a 1 hr descent. Kudos to the chap on his own on the kona, glad I had company just incase’. Sweet, checkit!

italspark
    Free Member

did the 4 monros east of Bridge of Orchy yesterday with Sanny !.BeInn Dorian, Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a Chreachain in that order, finishes with a 780 meter singletrack descent back down to the A 82, you dinny get that at glenstress !
    oh aye sub 8 hours with the 8 km option home avoiding the main road of doom

inchhighj
    Free Member

Noob on here, but heres my list of what i can think of just now in this order

Devils staircase to KLL, good if you keep the pedal on through the troughs
    Lairig Ghru down to Rothiemurcus, short but amazing flow
    Morven of Morrone, nice and nasty
    Ben Lomond, tourist path
    And finally Coire Grannda to Drochard Lair wins pants down

Doing Vorlich tomorrow and will report back

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Bealach na Ba

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘The Answer to the Ultimate Question – The Best Descent in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.