Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • The Answer to the Ultimate Question – The Best Descent in Scotland
  • fergal
    Free Member

I know this has been done to death, but it is hosing it down, i pine for the fjords, the wilds of Scotland, stunning techy descents with miles of flow, bunnyhopping over new born lambs, pinballing through boulder fields…so where is the holy grail of Scottish descents…I think it is just north of Callander, go on humour me.

rickon
    Free Member

I really like the descent off Carn Ban Mor…..

elzorillo
    Free Member

The descent south over the border. 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Not ridden many (which I’m trying to rectify) but I thought Bealach na Lice to Annat was pretty special.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Up hill, along the flat and down, its all good in Scotland. There must be some good stuff around Fort William.

scruff
    Free Member

M74.

robgarrioch

As Mr. Bicuits said above, to Annat on the Torridon circuit…

Hoping to try the descent to Achnashellach sometime soon, heard it’s as good.

fergal
    Free Member

But Rob is it though, i have it on the list, hopefully not all shirt and no trousers if you know what i mean, bit of a hike up there…but just north of Callander… i may have found the prize.

rickon Really enjoyed Can Bam mor on the hardtail, must have a go on my other bike, heeps of fun i’m sure.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Does this mystery gem you speak of have jedi-ish credentials?

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Or have you led I astray?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Rob, is the Achnashellach descent the one where you turn right at Bealach na Lice instead of the left and over the summit and down to Annat?

There’s a path on the right that traverses high along towards Coire Grannda/Beinn Liath Mhor?

Can’t wait to get back up there although it’s a massive trek from Leeds 🙂 Hoping to attempt Glen Feshie/Carn Ban Mor BH weekend.

fergal
    Free Member

I’m sure the Jedi master would ride it with panache, but this is more about everything not just the technical difficulty, it has ambience for sure.

what_tyres
    Free Member

The holy grail is a loop that takes in both the Annat descent and the Coire Grannda / Coire Lair descent.
    The way I prefer is starting in Torridon and doing the Annat descent as a climb first, round to Coire Lair and down followed by a climb past Coulags Bothy and ending up going back down to Annat.

fergal
    Free Member

Have heard great things about the Coire Lair descent, it is already marked on me map.

grum
    Free Member

Ben Lomond is the best I’ve done, but I’ve not done that much.

What’s the one near Callander?

Sanny
    Free Member

North of Callander? Hmmm. Ben Vorlich is really good. Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas are better. Ben Ledi is not too bad but not the best in the area. The descent off the Inverar Horseshoe is pretty special.

I’m intrigued Fergal, where are you thinking?

I’ve still to ride the descent off Stob Binean and Ben More and have always wondered about that on the bike.

fergal
    Free Member

Ben Lomond really is a cracker, must get back up this summer, would really like to checkout the Ptarmigan descent,less flow but more tech, i think Sanny was saying off here.

edit talk of the devil!

fergal
    Free Member

Sanny have no fear you really are the oracle on these matters, in your’e honest opinion how would you rate the ptarmigan descent.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Fergal

I really like Ptarmigan. We did it in the winter with ice at the top meaning the first bit was a walk down. I reckon the first bit would still be a bit of a walk down in the dry too. However, after that it gets very good indeed if you like slow speed tech. I’m planning a return trip in the dry on a sunny evening to really give it a good go. If you don’t like slow speed tech, you may hate it but it’s my bag and it put a huge smile on my face! A wee ride report below with pics if you clicky the link.

http://www.gmbc.org.uk/ben-lomond-ptarmigan-the-hard-way/

So what’s your north of Callander route then? I’m intrigued! It could be somewhere I’ve yet to ride which is always good!!!!!!

Cheers

Sanny

swavis

I loved the Carn Ban Mor descent but I’ve been told it’s been ruined somewhat with *improvements*, namely lots and lots of waterbars 🙁

crash_gav
    Free Member

Coire lair/Annat large loop:

Go in at Coulags (on Lochcarron Road) past bothy upto Beallach na Lice. Over top, left and down to Annat for a pint. Then along road past Ling Hut to Loch Clair. Turn right and up the Coulin path until you get to a bridge that either takes you on over the hill towards Craig or turn right upto Waterfall and small hut (take this route). Cross river and then single track climb up to Coire lair. You come in above the technical stuff, therefore turn left and let it flow. This takes you down to the Station at Achnashellach. Along road and pick up car. Ledgowan for a pint then lots to eat as it is a reasonably big day out.

8)

rthomas17
    Free Member

Can Ban Mor descent now involves 100+ water bars – not as much fun as it used to be I suspect!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I better start practicing my bunny hop technique then as I aim to ride this BH w/e.

Well I was going to tag the ascent and descent of Carn Ban Mor onto the Glen Feshie loop but I’m sure I’ve read on here that the Carnachuin bridge has been swept away.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The holy grail is a loop that takes in both the Annat descent and the Coire Grannda / Coire Lair descent.
    The way I prefer is starting in Torridon and doing the Annat descent as a climb first, round to Coire Lair and down followed by a climb past Coulags Bothy and ending up going back down to Annat.

+1

The Coire lair descent is better than the bealach na lice down to Annat IMHO.

trailhound
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the descent ( sorry if the spellings wrong!) in Aviemore, Carn Ban Mor in the dark was pretty good fun 2!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The descents to Achneshellach and Annat are both great in their own way which is why its such a great loop. +1 for doing it from Annat as you end up at the Torridon Inn for beer and food.

For me, the best descents I’ve done are Ben Lawers or Beinn Ghlass down to the car park, or Ben MacDui down to Glen Derry. Cairngorm down to Loch Morlich via Coire an Snechda is pretty special as well.

Carn Ban Mor is pretty good, but not a patch on those above

Edit: and Lochnagar down to Glas Allt Shiel is a cracker

crash_gav
    Free Member

Sorry for a slight hijack Fergal

Captain M, What is the details on that Lochnagar route, eg do you go in at Loch Muick or Braemar etc.?

Really fancy doing that one.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Captain M, What is the details on that Lochnagar route, eg do you go in at Loch Muick or Braemar etc.?

Lots of options including taking in all 5 Munros round Loch Muick. Easiest is from Loch Muick car park and up via Miekle Pap. I did it from Easter Balmoral which saves the drive into Ballater and up to Loch Muick but its a longer ride out at the end. I haven’t done the bottom section yet as I had to bail with time constraints and fellow riders in a grump, but even the top half makes it worthwhile

cp

this thread needs more pics. lots more pics.

crash_gav
    Free Member

Cheers Captain/Fergal

Need to sell this to the lads with Keen/Firmouth Rd thrown in as well. Could stay at Aboyne, Just need the weather.

rthomas17
    Free Member

Here’s those water bars down Can Ban Mor

GW
    Free Member

Depends how you ride really..

http://video.mpora.com/watch/AcvGOzewd/

Sanny
    Free Member

Glas Alt Shiel is lovely. Well worth doing as part of the 5 munro loop from Glen Clova.

Kilbo path is nice though a bit too straight to be my favourite descent.

Jocks Road is ace fun. I still fancy trying the descent of Corrie Fee off Mayar. 😉

Aye, MacDui is pretty darn good too.

So Fergal, what is this north of Callander descent of which you speak?

fergal
    Free Member

Wowser GW some pretty impressive descending going on there, probs the first time that track has been dry and dusty.

Sanny don’t worry you have ridden it, i walked it a few years ago, have since seen pics of persons unknown riding it and raving, looks a corker, just waiting for some sunshine, will of course spray on t’internet when i have done the deed.

rthomas17 “my god what have they done!” i can feel a song coming on.

swavis

Another wee gem is the descent off Morrone just outside Braemar.
    We did it as part of a loop involving heading up Glen Callater then descending down from Bealach Buidhe and onto the A93, then take the Landy track up to the summit. Easy peasy 😀

fairhurst
    Free Member

obviously i would recommend Spooky Woods as the one i love.

fergal
    Free Member

Fairhurst you rogue like.

rthomas17 “ice cold nowhere to go in the arctic tundra” the NP will not be happy untill they have paved the Cairngorms for the tourists, just imagine, polar bears with summer jobs, selling ice cream from kiosks.

Macdui\Etchachan descent is a peach.

stanfree
    Free Member

I think Its the mythical ‘kinchie trail’ which is hidden somewhere in the depths of the land they call east Lothian .

GW
    Free Member

only on a Fatbike dude 😉

trekstar
    Free Member

There is too many to choose from!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘The Answer to the Ultimate Question – The Best Descent in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.