Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • The annual family argument thread
  • MoreCashThanDash

Needs starting.

Let’s just say I’m not planning on going to bed for a while yet to avoid starting one.

Just. Stop. ****. Overcomplicating. Everything.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The wife’s brother and his missus have played a blinder this year, cutting off the whole family cos the pair of them decided they’re anti vaxxers about 3 months ago.

Means I dont need to pretend I like his bairns! 😅

Tom-B
    Free Member

We’ve already had a December full of it on my finances side due to the fact that her mum is essentially a psychopath…..just 2 days to survive until we can **** off in the motorhome for a week.

shermer75
    Free Member

The wife’s brother and his missus have played a blinder this year, cutting off the whole family cos the pair of them decided they’re anti vaxxers about 3 months ago.

Means I dont need to pretend I like his bairns! 😅

Sounds like everyone’s winner here!

franksinatra

Just. Stop. ****. Overcomplicating. Everything.

My wife massively over complicates Christmas with way too many gifts, decorations, tradition’s and meals. She then spends most of Christmas complaining about the amount of wrapping, decorating and cooking required to fulfill these traditions.

She is currently decorating the table to make it look fit for a state banquet whilst complaining about how many presents need to come down from the loft.

Don’t get me started on her lazy, self pitying, daily Mail reading racist and never stop talking mum who is also here for a week.

I would love to just take my dog for a nice walk for the day and have a pub meal. Hopefully when the kids grow up and leave home things will get easier

scuttler

FrankSinatra got a big xmas family bingo score there…

Someone else’s Mum
    Dog
    Pub
    Daily Mail
    Racist
    Over the top hospitality
    Endless festivity related jobs
    Lazy

Good luck dude 🤞

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

None of that shite here, Inlaws all dead (i know) just a group of grown up people all on the same page.

Drac

We always have the MIL on Xmas eve but her and Mrs talk insane dribble about people. She always has to narrate what’s happening on the TV. She’s great though to be fair and after 8 hours of drinking before she arrived I didn’t care.

TiRed

I would love to just take my dog for a nice walk for the day and have a pub meal. Hopefully when the kids grow up and leave home things will get easier

It doesn’t. And they come back. And your wife will still buy too many presents and moan. And curiously go south when it comes to actually wrapping said presents.

jamj1974

Someone else’s Mum
    Dog
    Pub
    Daily Mail
    Racist
    Over the top hospitality
    Endless festivity related jobs
    Lazy

**** hell, against these criteria I can only score my aunt 4/8 or my late FiL the same rating. I’m comparatively lucky.

dantsw13

All our family are quite sane & rational. Politics isn’t all aligned, but it’s never argued about.

I’ll miss it all this year as we are now in Covid isolation, happily all fit & well.

Poopscoop

Only ever invite Aunt Bessy and no-one else ever.

Sure doesn’t want presents or an appropriate card.
    Doesn’t care what you watch on tv.
    Has no views on politics.
    You can cook her from frozen with no need for a patio.

thegreatape
    Free Member

cutting off the whole family cos the pair of them decided they’re anti vaxxers about 3 months ago.

Our family anti-vaxxer (wife’s sister) has thankfully stayed at home in Spain this year. My wife has finally given up trying to tolerate her.

Last year, when our daughter was in ITU after tearing her liver in a bike crash, she was asking for a copy of the consultants notes so she could review them and “give her professional opinion” (she’s a beautician, but this seems to have involved into ‘holistic therapist’ in the last few years). When my wife told her she that we weren’t going to let her give advice to the liver consultant she put in a complaint with my father in law, and is still waiting for an apology from my wife.

This year, behind our backs, she contacted our daughter and son to tell them not to get vaccinated because of some load of old bollocks she’d watched on YouTube and is too unhinged to see that it’s shite. That was the final straw. My wife has stopped speaking to her, and I don’t blame her!

So we’re at the in-laws (wonderful people) with my other sister-in-law, her fella and their three nice kids. It’s great 😀

grum
    Free Member

Sounds like a result in the end thegreatape but ‘kin ‘ell. 🤦‍♂️ The level of narcissism to think you can/should behave like that is just staggering.

Have your (her) wacky beliefs if you must but don’t try and pretend you have some special insight that must be shared. Jeez.

Nae family meetups for us this year as our boy is properly sick with lurgy. Think we might go for a festive PCR test later!

willard

Actually managed to avoid a WhatsApp-based argument with my mother, mainly due to my GF telling me not to answer the last message she sent to the family group. All entered around pet passports and how Europe is full of fleas and rabies.

In comparison, the mild discussion I had with MiL about not turning computers off, was a walk in the park.

onehundredthidiot

As above Mrs 100th spent Friday and all day yesterday stressing about table etc. My family don’t really do Christmas now because my mum pretty much had a bit of a breakdown one year and locked herself in the sitting room.

Anyway mad SiL who was going to invite a bloke she’s seen twice and is black and a MiL who is slightly right of Genghis khan.

Stuff it I’m going for a ride with the dogs I’ll be back at 11 to see what state we’re all in (taken the beef out the fridge so I’ve started)

FB-ATB

You’ve all missed the get out of jail card this year. Use a red biro to add an extra line & hey presto, it’s quarantine time!

martymac

Wow, I don’t even get on the scoreboard here.
    My family don’t celebrate Christmas (JW)
    My inlaws do, we go to theirs, but they are actually nice.
    Different opinions are welcomed, regardless of the subject matter.
    None of us go over the top with presents, nobody drinks too much, it’s just nice.
    I wouldn’t put up with half the shit i read up there ^^ absolutely no way.

argee

@thegreatape, she’s fit though, isn’t she ;o)

daviek

Apart from the inlaws (who are both nice) franksinatra sounds like a mirror image of every run up to christmas I’ve had for years. We spent most of yesterday getting ready for today and countless bits and Bob’s over the past week that along with having 4 kids the amount she has bought this year just mind boggling, we set a limit but she’s blown that this year as a couple were after big things so didn’t look like they had much to open. Even having the kids and love seeing their happy faces on christmas morning I’ve hated Christmas for years.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Sounds like a result in the end thegreatape but ‘kin ‘ell. 🤦‍♂️ The level of narcissism to think you can/should behave like that is just staggering.

It’s unreal. The wean actually phoned me from hospital begging me to get her aunt to stop calling her as she was too tired/distressed/in pain to deal with her. Everyone else respected our request to message but not phone her, so she could reply when she felt up to it, but not her aunt, oh no, she has to be the centre of everything.

she’s fit though, isn’t she ;o)

Physically, yes reasonably, mentally, no, and it only takes half an hour for the latter to utterly override the former.

Cougar

Why do you all put up with this shite? Sack ’em off.

I’d be down at the pub with Frank. Life is too short to spend it in the company of assholes. (Er, sorry Frank…)

tuboflard

Just me, the Mrs and the dog. That’s it. Don’t need the stress and it’s meant to be a day you celebrate the company of those you love. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see my aged parents but I’ll do that later in the week. And it means I get ALL the pigs in blankets to myself.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So we’re at the in-laws (wonderful people) with my other sister-in-law, her fella and their three nice kids. It’s great 😀

Pretty much this, in laws and gran in law coming for dinner, awesome people, love em to bits. And none of us drink any more, so no sitting festering for hours, happy days.

I love cooking for everyone too, canny beat it.

lunge

Ours was yesterday.
    Call Mother Lunge.
    We’re doing LFT’s before we come to see you, will let you know if any problems.
    Oh, I wouldn’t bother.
    Well, I wouldn’t want to give Covid to you.
    We’re not bothering. If they’re positive we can’t see anyone so we’d rather not know.
    Aaaahhhh!!!!!

swavis

Wife’s on a 12 hour shift so we did presents very early!
    My mother, or more likely dickhead stepfather chose not to invite us over for Xmas dinner which suits me as he’s a racist knob, so my two boys and I will pop over later to say hi then head back home to eat nothing but pigs in blankets and pizza as that’s what they want to do 😁
    The dog will get a walk then it’s a TV day with feet up and a beer 🍺

singletrackmind

Off to see the powerkite twins and not have a conversation with them. You would think at 21 they would have evolved from kevin and Perry monosyllabic answers, but no.

kayak23

Such a magical time of year.

slowoldman

Just the two of us. We sacked off most of Christmas years ago, don’t even bother with presents. If we want something we buy it when we want it, not for baby Jesus.

We do, however, drink all day, have bucks fizz with scrambled egg and smoked salmon for brekkie and a lavish dinner. Added excitement this year is watching a huge firework go up in a couple of hours.

kilo

We are down at the wife’s parents, her sister has just gone to “have it out “ with her mother – will Christmas be cancelled? Hope not as I’m hungry and there’s no kitchen where we’re staying.

tthew

Just finishing our first bottle of Prosecco. Dog had a big walk and a bath, now asleep. Decent breakfast a few nice gifts, I think I’ll have a little nap before we go to the MIL’s for lunch. Nice.

Houns

Can you give us a running commentary kilo?

pedlad

Laughing / crying with you about the beautician-liver consultant 😂

BillMC

Narcissism is an excellent reason to permanently detach and liberate yourself from those particular accidents of birth.

Drac

Twodogs

First Christmas with just the two of us…no parents left, one sister in California, the other lives close enough that we could see her, but choose not to 😁

About to have champagne and eggs royale, then roast mallard this Eve.

I remember those awful days just waiting for the arguments to break out….

houndlegs
    Free Member

Me, the missus and the dog in the caravan at Pembrey Country Park, absolute bliss. Had a nice walk on the beach yesterday, just had a walk through the forest, followed by scrambled eggs on toast with salami. Off to Burry Port later for a stroll around the harbour/seafront. Home made lasagne later, with cheese and crackers and plenty of wine this evening. Merry Christmas everyone xx

shermer75
    Free Member

About to have champagne and eggs royale, then roast mallard this Eve.

Oh god this sounds good!

shermer75
    Free Member

Weirdly enough, for something titled ‘The annual family argument thread’ there is a 50/50 split between people having family arguments and people having what sounds like amazing Christmases. Surely this is progress!

franksinatra

Update. I was up most of the night dealing with work on-call stuff and a mountain rescue callout (I didn’t attend but had a bit of coordinating to do from home). Dealt with three old enough to know better but still excitable kids from 7am, walked dog at 8am, started overly elaborate breakfast cooking at 9am.

At 9.05am, MIL come in to kitchen, asks for a glass of wine then present me with an armful of her laundry and asked if I wouldn’t mind doing it. She litereally shoved it into my arms with dirty pants on top of the pile. FFS.

Footnote, she arrived on Monday and still hasn’t left the house, not even once. She places no value on fresh air. I just can’t work that out. I am like a dog, I need two walks a day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘The annual family argument thread’ is closed to new replies.