Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • The alleged hacking of Millie Dowler's phone
  • Raindog
    Free Member

It looks like someone connected with the NOTW hacked Millie Dowler’s phone whilst she was missing. What on earth were the people involved thinking ? How do they sleep ?

Stoner
    Free Member

this, is going to be good.

Wade, is toast.

maccruiskeen

Wade, is toast.

Don’t worry, theres always a job at the Daily Star for former NOTW staff that have been convicted and jailed for phone hacking

grum
    Free Member

Bad enough listening to the messages but deleting some of them so they could listen to more, thus giving false hope to the parents – utterly despicable.

kimbers

jeebus the daily mail is going to have a freakout
    wonder if the other murdoch papers will even mention it

was callmedaves ex-spokesman editor at the time?
    and still the bskyb deal is gonna go through….

edit oh it was rebekah wade, just camerons close friend and riding budy!
    either way i imagine her best hope is that murdoch has some kind of seizure before he fires her

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seems what interests most is who is or who isn’t going to lose his or her job. Which is a bit sad really. Everyone should be a little ashamed that something like this happened in our country, especially those who worked for the paper at the time and those who continue to buy it now.

peterfile
    Free Member

shocking, yes.

immoral, yes.

unethical, yes.

surprising, no.

these guys are always looking for an edge, the NOTW found one and were exploiting it. They got carried away. I find it disgusting, but I doubt the ramifications were even contemplated at the time.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a damn shame the readers of that shite won’t just boycott it. But they probably think boycott is an old cricketer.
    Joking aside, I hope someone gets jail time for it. Scum.

kimbers

i think it just goes to show how commonplace it must have been at the paper for anyone to even consider doing this

maccruiskeen

When you think how long ago this was – 2002. It can’t then have been the first time NOTW did this. You have to start thinking how many cases they’ve pryed into before then and since.

A free press. Brilliant.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Apart from the illegality of phone hacking, presumably deleting the messages amounts to tampering with possible evidence in a murder enquiry ? Surely that has to warrant a prison sentence ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bear in mind that the Murdoch consultation doesn’t finish till Friday. Still time to object.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

What they’re not being very clear about, is when the police became aware of this – I’m getting the impression from whats’s not being said, that they were aware during the initial investigation years ago, but didn’t make an issue of it at the time…

matthewjb
    Free Member

jeebus the daily mail is going to have a freakout

Nope. They are focusing on Wills, Kate and Cheryl. The things that matter.

None of the tabloids are running the story on their front pages. See here

It sounds like tabloid editors are closing ranks.

I doubt Wade (or Coulson) will be affected. It will turn out to be the work of ‘one journalist acting on their own’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye not good for Rupert but even for them a shocking low.
    I doubt he personally knew – I doubt he would personally car as well
    Wade was there as was Coulson at the time editor and deputy.
    I cant see dave getting all principled now.

i also wonder how the police failed to notice any of those with the previous investigation. I find it hard to believe there was not corruption or collusion there as well.

Deleting the messages [ to hear more calls ] giving the family false hope [ did a NOTW exclsuive interview as well] is a seriously scummy thing to do and that person deserves the public stocks tbh.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’m getting the impression from whats’s notm, being said, that they were aware during the initial investigation years ago, but didn’t make an issue of it at the time…

The Guardian story gave the impression there was a lot of dodgy stuff going on. But the Police were focussing (rightly) on finding the missing girl rather that the borderline illegal journalists. The story gave the impression that journalists impeding these sort of investigations was commonplace.

kimbers

It sounds like tabloid editors are closing ranks.

indeed it seems that it was common at all the tabloids
    considering how they jumped all over the milly dowler story at the time milking it for all the copy it was worth its shameful that they wont talk about this

sadly i suspect you are correct- wade, coulson and all the seniors involved will get away with it scot free, wade even admitted paying bribes to coppers to a commons committee (more or less)

totalshell

it sucks but life aint a free ride.. how many times do you think the press can find develop leads that Dixon of dock green cant.. the meeja are happily used by DODG publicly and less publicly as well

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Coulson was in it up to his neck – thats why he quit. Murdochs man on the inside.

Whats interesting and disturbing is the cosy links between the NOTW and the Met. NOTW also has good instigative journalist and does expose wrong ding – and it appear that there was leaks from NOTW to the met and back again. When the phone hacking came to light the met went easy on them. Thats why its only coming out in dribs and drabs and I doubt we will ever see the bottom of this murky pool

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I find it hard to believe there was not corruption or collusion there as well.

Oh come on, Rupert Murdoch has the power to directly influence the policies of British Prime Ministers. All PMs must show their servitude to Murdoch – they all “consult” him. It would be a very brave PM that takes Murdoch on – we haven’t had one yet. The Prime Minister/Home Sec. would take a very dim view of any Chief Constable whose force had given Murdoch a hard time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was using legalese as I thought I could defend what I believe much easier if challenged 8)
    Would not want to libel them now would I.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

The Daily Mail are now running a story on this, I’d link, but I can’t be bothered and Google exists.

It’ll be interesting to see whether this scuppers Murcoch’s attempt to gain full control over B Sky B.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

It defies human decency that people still buy the rag and will, in all likelihood, do so even though they are funding corpse-looting scum (they can try and pin it on Wade but that’s clearly an individual being offered up whilst the amulance-chasing – and invading – culture remains).

singletrackhor
    Free Member

An all time low in ‘journalism’. The family have been through far too much, with the actual events, the shocking court case and now some complete scum has done this.

Boycott the papers, cancel your sky subscription.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

Sadly people will continue to pay their Sky subs, buy the Sun/NoTW/Times/whatever and keep the News Corp juggernaut rolling along.

yossarian
    Free Member

I wonder about the wider ramifications of this. If journos were able to do this, with some kind of police knowledge it makes me wonder what other kinds of scutiny exist, and who uses them.

Klunk
    Free Member

the way this has been handled by the met is the real scandal. If Green Peace were caught hacking into the emails/mobiles of BNFL execs would there have been this softly softly approach, No. There would have been 50 uniformed officers raiding their premises @ 5 in the morning removing every computer and file. Handcuffed staff being frog marched out the premises (probably having their faces shoved into the lenses of NOTW photographers).

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Wade was big mates with the last Cheif Constable of the Met.

Which I’m sure had nothing to do with the diligence of the investigation.

kimbers

as our pm is way too deep in murdochs crevice, imagine if milliband actually grew a pair and tried to take on murdoch, the tabloids and it seems the met……..

……..hed get destroyed i suspect!

joao3v16
    Free Member

Sadly people will continue to pay their Sky subs, buy the Sun/NoTW/Times/whatever and keep the News Corp juggernaut rolling along.

Hooray for the Great British apathy !!

😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

hed get destroyed i suspect!

And therein lies a big ****-off problem don’t you think! They’re all too bloody scared to have a go. A decent opposition leader would wipe the floor with Cameron on Wednesday over this.

It’s scandalous – allegedly Colin Stagg was also targeted (years after his acquittal), as, allegedly, was one of the parents of the Soham girls Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells too.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hooray for the Great British apathy

And would you stop going to the cinema in case it’s a 20th Century Fox production?

Thought not.

binners

One question that springs immediately to mind is where did the NOTW get hold of Millie Dowler (and now it seems, her parents) phone numbers? Where did they happen upon John Prescotts number (who happened to be deputy PM at the time?

I’m going out on a limb here, but could they possibly have been getting them from sources within the met?

No wonder they were dragging their feet for so long. The relationship with News International seems like a far-too-cosy two way street. I think there’s still plenty to come on this story.

Here’s my wild speculative guess as to what happens next: We find out about a lot more hacking of suspects and victims alike, in high profile criminal cases. The we finally hear, after call-me-Dave has to reluctantly abandon his tacit support for NI executives, that senior Met officers were essentially on the payrole of NI editors. Receiving cash and favourable coverage in return for tip offs/phone numbers/access and, of course, a blind eye being turned to their loathsome and illegal activities.

Just a guess

yossarian
    Free Member

You cynic 🙂

Evidence is being destroyed now, we’ll never get to hear the full extent of what’s gone on.

montylikesbeer

i dont ever read red tops, nasty scumbags in my view

wwaswas

List of the email addresses for the CEO’s of companies advertising in the NOW;

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PBJRCE9X

a ‘tweet this’ link with @… things for a number of NoW advertisers.

http://www.pint.org.uk/notw.html
    I don’t buy the NoW or any other Murdoch owned media but I think I can still hit them financially by targetting organisations that spend money with them.

If you look up the Fox News/Glen Beck campaign people targetted advertisers and it worked.

maccruiskeen

where did the NOTW get hold of Millie Dowler (and now it seems, her parents) phone numbers? Where did they happen upon John Prescotts number (who happened to be deputy PM at the time?

I’m going out on a limb here, but could they possibly have been getting them from sources within the met?

Why would the Met have John Prescotts number? Or Sienna Miller’s Number? Or Andy Gray’s Number, or any of the hacking case numbers?. The press have people inside the telecoms co’s, ISPs, Banks, DVLA and the HMRC. Anything they want to know they know.

binners

Ok. I’ll put it a different way. Given the utterly barmy paranoia over the last ten years about terrorism etc, are you telling me that no-one knew that Senior members of the government were regularly having their phones hacked? Really?

And we need to separate out the celebrity horse-shit (at the end of the day, who gives a **** who Jude Law is nobbing?) from the actual important stuff. ie: what’s come out yesterday, and the questions raised about democratic accountability when members of the government are having their private communications monitored, and yet incredibly, still no party leader is prepared to stand up and denounce NI. It stinks to high heaven!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if milliband actually grew a pair…….hed get destroyed i suspect!

Not necessarily. Murdoch’s only weapon is his ability to manipulate public opinion (although it’s grossly overstated imo) right now his standing in the eyes of the public, including NoW readers, must be at an all time low, which puts him at a serious disadvantage – that situation should be fully exploited for as long as possible.

Secondly Labour leaders need to stop obediently sticking to the agenda set by the tabloids and have the conviction to put the case for policies which are right. Saying “we’re just like the Tories only nicer” is a hugely weak position to be in and makes them highly vulnerable. Robbing the tabloids of their ability to set the agenda and setting it themselves, would massively reduce the power of the tabloids in favour of Labour.

Finally there is no reason why an incoming Labour government can’t through legislation force the breakup and sell-off of Murdoch’s media empire in the UK. If former Knightsbridge owner Mohamed al-Fayed can quite legally be denied the right to British nationality on the grounds that he isn’t of “good character”, then I see no reason why Murdoch can’t be denied the right to the ownership of substantial chunks of Britain’s media on the grounds that he isn’t a fit and proper person.

It should be remembered that every time Labour has won a general election it has done so despite overwhelming opposition from the Tory press – it’s about time they stopped placing so much importance on winning their approval. Meekly accepting the agenda set by the press might the easy lazy solution, and arguing for an alternative might be difficult and challenging, but that’s what will pull the rug from under the Tory press and diminish their power. Labour leaders need to leave being Tory to the Tories.

maccruiskeen

are you telling me that no-one knew that Senior members of the government were regularly having their phones hacked? Really?

But the press don’t need anyone’s help, they have access to anyones information as and when they want it. Yours included – if they want it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘The alleged hacking of Millie Dowler's phone’ is closed to new replies.